Yahoo: Fleck practices what he preaches in practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo:

This is the first practice I have seen since P.J. Fleck became the Minnesota Gophers head football coach. The first thing I wanted to see was if Coach Fleck's press conference and interview enthusiasm really did cross over to the field. It took all of about thirty seconds to see that it did.

Fleck was all over the field. He often ran from station to station and was on a portable microphone so his voice could be played through a speaker system to be heard be anyone at any time.

Like Fleck, the practice was fast-paced from the word go. Even the students who were spotting the ball between plays needed to sprint to get out of the way in time for the next play.

Each section of practice was short. Everyone got in reps and got out. The fast pace of practice seemed to have multiple benefits.

"With our tempo, we need to condition during football, not just conditioning at the end, just to run to run," Fleck said. "We are going to condition while we play football."

The staff also uses the pace to simulate game situations. At seemingly random times Fleck would call out a command, and everyone would drop everything, and the field goal team would rush out onto the field, line up on the fly and get a kick into the air before a coach finished a countdown.

The practice pace is ramped up, but Fleck doesn't think the practices are fast enough.

"We need to get fourteen or fifteen more minutes cut off (of practice)," Fleck said. "It is the downtime. When the horn blows (to signal a new section of practice) – we go. We are not even close to the change of pace we need when that horn blows."

"If we can cut down ten seconds between each rep during individual drills," Fleck continued, "that adds up over the course of an hour and a half practice."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fleck-practices-preaches-practice-204554744.html

Go Gophers!!

While saving time is important, I would remind Coach Fleck of the 6 P's ---- proper preparation prevents piss poor performances. And the number of reps each player is getting is meaningless if the reps aren't absolutely correct. So rushing around and going to the next station because some horn was blown and not correcting the evident mistakes is ridiculous. Social scientists have proven that the time to correct mistakes is when the motion is still fresh in the participants mind. Not 24 hours later in a different setting.

While saving time is important, I would remind Coach Fleck of the 6 P's ---- proper preparation prevents piss poor performances. And the number of reps each player is getting is meaningless if the reps aren't absolutely correct. So rushing around and going to the next station because some horn was blown and not correcting the evident mistakes is ridiculous. Social scientists have proven that the time to correct mistakes is when the motion is still fresh in the participants mind. Not 24 hours later in a different setting.

+1,000,000,000

As my college DC told us and I've told my players, "Practice does not make perfect. Practice makes permanent. If you practice lazy and sloppy technique that's what you'll see on film."

It's not so much the quantity of reps but the quantity of quality reps!

i went to practice the other day, and believe me they correct right of way. Saw several drills where they would make the player repeat until they got it right.

You don't think a d1 p5 program who's coach is making 3.5 million dollars is correcting mistakes?

He can just role that into his existing system "H.P.P.P.P.P.P.Y.R.R"

i went to practice the other day, and believe me they correct right of way. Saw several drills where they would make the player repeat until they got it right.

Saw the same thing. At most drills there was more than one coach and one would correct while the other would watch the next player rep.

Who told you they didn't correct mistakes? There is constant teaching going on. The whole point of his practice philosophy is practice with the same speed and intensity of a game. And to condition at the pace of a game and not run wind sprints at the end of practice. Football is short bursts not long sprints.

Top Bottom