Austin Beier‏ a Gophers

I was completely joking/trolling when I said were gonna finish in the top 10. [emoji14]

I do think we have an outside chance at finishing in the top 25 if we get 1-2 four star recruits.
We're getting so elite that we've moved past #1 and we now sit at -2. [emoji8]

Do people think Beier can add more weight in our S&C program? :rolleyes:

I think if you have 25 3 stars and no 2 stars, it will be a top 25 class.

Illinois last year had 25 3-stars and one 2-star - they finished 45th (using 247). The #25 team, Virginia Tech, had 5 4-stars. Every team in the top 29 had at least 4 4-stars.

If you prefer Rivals, the closest analogue to your scenario would be Colorado. They had 2 4-stars, 22 3-stars, and 4 2-stars. They finished 32nd. Every team in the top 31 had at least 4 4-stars. Every team in the top 23 had at least 6.

Illinois last year had 25 3-stars and one 2-star - they finished 45th (using 247). The #25 team, Virginia Tech, had 5 4-stars. Every team in the top 29 had at least 4 4-stars.

If you prefer Rivals, the closest analogue to your scenario would be Colorado. They had 2 4-stars, 22 3-stars, and 4 2-stars. They finished 32nd. Every team in the top 31 had at least 4 4-stars. Every team in the top 23 had at least 6.

Agree dpodoll. At least now we're beating POWER 5 teams for recruits. If you look at the eight so far it is a pretty impressive list of teams we're beating.

Thanks for looking that up. Interesting that a 3 star average in 2017 gets you just inside top 40, but 10 years ago it was top 25. What has changed?

Ya I agree, have to have a few guys on the high end, but I do like the way recruiting is going so far, with the three stars I always like to look at their offer list and if they have a top 1,000 rating on 247. So far all of our recruits are rated between 505th and 882 and all but Richter have other P5 offers, so that's encouraging. But to get into top 20-25 territory we need recruits who had similar ratings to Coughlin, Andries, Seth Green, Jeff Jones, Andre McDonald to sprinkle in with these guys. Then from there hopefully staff can develop talent like Kill/Claeys and company could because typing some of those names it just goes to show how thin the margin for error can be.

Interesting that a 3 star average in 2017 gets you just inside top 40, but 10 years ago it was top 25. What has changed?

Star inflation.

Neither statement is true. On Rivals, each of the top 29 in 2007 had at least 4 4-stars, almost identical to 2017. In 2007, there were 380 4-stars, and in 2017 there were 395 4-stars. It has vacillated between the low 300s and mid 400s each year during that time. Nothing has really changed.

Re: the new OL commit. One basic question: Can the kid play?

I respectfully suggest that some people get so hung up on ratings and rankings that they don't address the most basic question. What type of player is this kid? What are his strengths and weaknesses? With all due respect, I think that matters as much - or dare I say it - even more than how many stars, dots, asterisks or other symbols he has next to his name.

Neither statement is true. On Rivals, each of the top 29 in 2007 had at least 4 4-stars, almost identical to 2017. In 2007, there were 380 4-stars, and in 2017 there were 395 4-stars. It has vacillated between the low 300s and mid 400s each year during that time. Nothing has really changed.

Good to know. Actually I intended to end my "Star inflation" response with a "?" It was less of an actual theory, and more of just a smart-ass remark.

I respectfully suggest that some people get so hung up on ratings and rankings that they don't address the most basic question. What type of player is this kid? What are his strengths and weaknesses? With all due respect, I think that matters as much - or dare I say it - even more than how many stars, dots, asterisks or other symbols he has next to his name.

That's how a coach will evaluate a player not by @&)()?& stars..

And we can only assume the kid can play or the coaches would not have offered him a scholarship. The stars are more for us to fight about....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signing a solid class like this early will allow the coaching staff to be more choosy with later recruits.....and will allow them to put in more time with the guys high on their lists. Not having to scramble at the end should allow PJF to reel in some four star caliber players.

I was thinking the same thing. Corey Davis was a 2-star (who ironically was recruited by Zebrowski for the Gophers). It's fun to think we're high in the rankings but I don't think Clemson has been higher in the rankings than Alabama in any of the past 4 years. The important thing is fit, development, attitude, luck (lack of injuries). I love getting guys like Eric Decker, Maxx Williams, Rick Upchurch, Karl Mecklenberg, Marion Barber...not highly recruited but great players.

Signing a solid class like this early will allow the coaching staff to be more choosy with later recruits.....and will allow them to put in more time with the guys high on their lists. Not having to scramble at the end should allow PJF to reel in some four star caliber players.

Agree. Not sure why people keep stating the obvious in every thread that we need to land some 4*s in order to be ranked in the top 25.

PJ has offered a bunch of 4*s and we're still 10 months away from signing day.

Yep, correct. Top 25 need at least 4-6 4-stars depending on the rest, Top 10 need at least 10-12 4-stars unless they land some 5-stars. We all should be pretty happy if Gophs end up in the mid 40s.

Yep, correct. Top 25 need at least 4-6 4-stars depending on the rest, Top 10 need at least 10-12 4-stars unless they land some 5-stars. We all should be pretty happy if Gophs end up in the mid 40s.
Good thing they won't end up in the mid 40s.

Good thing they won't end up in the mid 40s.

Now I seem to be on the other end of expectations for Fleck. So a YOY improvement of 15 spots is too low of expectations. Huh. Priceless.

Plus in every case last year, those teams just inside 40 had a minimum of a couple 4-star commits, and 35-39 had a combined 17 4-star commits.

<b>I respectfully suggest that some people get so hung up on ratings and rankings</b> that they don't address the most basic question. What type of player is this kid? What are his strengths and weaknesses? With all due respect, I think that matters as much - or dare I say it - even more than how many stars, dots, asterisks or other symbols he has next to his name.

You really think so? Huh.

Agree. Not sure why people keep stating the obvious in every thread that we need to land some 4*s in order to be ranked in the top 25.

PJ has offered a bunch of 4*s and we're still 10 months away from signing day.
It's also not unheard of for some kids to jump from 3 stars to 4 stars either after further review from the scouting services, camps, and/or stellar senior seasons.

It's also not unheard of for some kids to jump from 3 stars to 4 stars either after further review from the scouting services, camps, and/or stellar senior seasons.

Or offers from higher profile schools.

I need new glasses. When I first read the headline, I wondered if this recruit was related to Rocky Bleier.

On Rivals a 3 star average has gotten a team ranked as high as 22 and as low as 55. Number of recruits plays a huge role.

GopherHole Q&A: Austin Beier Says He Committed to U Because Engineering Program and Coach Fleck
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/781084?referrer_id=

Austin Beier, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive tackle from Toledo (OH) St. John's Jesuit, recently committed to Minnesota.

Beier helped lead the Titans to a 6-4 record this past season.GopherHole caught up with Beier to learn the latest on his commitment.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota recently. What was the main reason that you decided Minnesota was where you wanted to be?

Austin Beier: The two biggest reasons were their Engineering program and Coach Fleck.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed, but do you feel a bit of a weight has been lifted off your shoulder already?

Austin Beier: Yes. I am feeling a bit of relief now that I am committed and especially somewhere where you really wanted to commit to.

Gopher Hole: Had you planned on making your college choice this early in the process?

Austin Beier: I didn't really have a set date I wanted to commit. I hadn't really planned on doing it this early, though.

Gopher Hole: What was it that made you make the choice when you did?

Austin Beier: I knew what I wanted to do. I didn't have any doubts when I went into it. There was nothing to wait for.

Gopher Hole: How would you describe yourself as a football player?

Austin Beier: Smart, probably. Read the defense. Know what they are going to do. Pick up on schemes and keys.

Gopher Hole: What has the reaction been among your family and friends since your commitment?

Austin Beier: They were very happy for me.

Gopher Hole: Had you ever been to Minnesota before or did you know much about Minnesota before your visit?

Austin Beier: Not really. Never been that far West.

Gopher Hole: What all did you get a chance to see and do when you were here in Minnesota?

Austin Beier: I got to see everything. I visited the Engineering program. I toured the campus. Went through the stadium, the practice facilities. Got put on a hard hat and walk through the construction. Got to see the dorms.

Gopher Hole: What were your parents' impressions of Minnesota?

Austin Beier: They loved it as much as I did.

Gopher Hole: Had you had a chance to visit many campuses so far?

Austin Beier: I visited quite a few places.

Gopher Hole: You also had offers from Indiana, Ohio University, Cincinnati, Boston College and Northwestern. What other schools were you hearing from besides those along with Minnesota?

Austin Beier: I talked to Michigan State and a little bit from Duke.

Gopher Hole: With your commitment, will you still attending any football camps this summer or are you going to shut that down since you know where you are going to play?

Austin Beier: I am going to one camp (a regional camp in Cincinnati), but that is going to be it.

Gopher Hole: St. John's Jesuit had 6-4 record this past season. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Austin Beier: Make the playoffs this year. We have been one step away from the playoffs the last two years. Getting over that hump.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you to get to the playoffs?

Austin Beier: To get to the playoffs would mean that you would have to beat one of the three top teams in our league, which we haven't down for a few years. Beating any of those teams would be a great win.

Gopher Hole: Do you play any other sports anymore or are you just football-only now?

Austin Beier: I played basketball last year. I'm not sure if I am going to be playing it next year, but it definitely helps me with my footwork and staying in shape.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a sports-minded family?

Austin Beier: My grandpa played for Michigan. My great uncle (Tom Beier) played at Miami of Florida and was with Dolphins. My uncles all played football My dad (Mike, who played offensive guard) went to Fordham University and was a captain there. He played baseball, too. My brother (an eighth grader) is probably going to play football somewhere, too.

Gopher Hole: If you are thinking about Engineering, you must be a good student. Has academics always been important to you?

Austin Beier: Yes. Grades have always been important, especially looking into college classes. Taking AP's in high school really sets you apart and gets you going earlier.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about try to come up to Minnesota in the fall or have you even thought about when your official visit would be?

Austin Beier: I am talking to my family about the spring game, but is kind of a long drive, so we don't know exactly when the next trip is going to be.

Gopher Hole: Was it more to tell the other schools that you were going someplace else?

Austin Beier: A little bit, but the confidence that I had in my decision made it easier.

Gopher Hole: Have you gotten to know any of the other Minnesota commits from the 2018 recruiting class yet?

Austin Beier: Yes. I started talking to them a little bit this past weekend since I committed.

Gopher Hole: What are they saying to you?

Austin Beier: They are just excited that I committed and we are ready to play together soon.

Gopher Hole: Is it kind of nice even though you have never met, you have some future "brothers" that you have gotten to know a little bit?

Austin Beier: Yes. Definitely.

Top Bottom