Where do most players on current Gopher roster come from?

hungan1

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit: Minnesota, Illinois, and then Georgia make up 51% of the current roster.
Of the 102 players on the roster, MN has 33 (32.4%), IL has 11 (10.8%), and GA has 8 (7.8%).

Gopher Spring 2017.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-03-29 (1).jpg
    2017-03-29 (1).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 46

Moderator - please delete this duplicate.

Interesting chart. I'm sure those percentages will change w PJs 6-8 hour recruiting circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting chart. I'm sure those percentages will change w PJs 6-8 hour recruiting circle.

Just for fun, here's the 6-8 hour driving circle around the Bierman building. Assumed an average of 50 mph, which is a pretty typical standard for over the road travel.
Capture.jpg

Thanks for doing this.

Is this 6 or 8?

Would love to see 8 hours at 60 mph.

What percentage of those MN players are walk ons?

Just for fun, here's the 6-8 hour driving circle around the Bierman building. Assumed an average of 50 mph, which is a pretty typical standard for over the road travel.
View attachment 4845

50 mph is low when factoring in interstate highway travel like it will be to many big cities. Bierman to KC, for example, is 6 hrs, 17 minutes according to Google Maps.

You can probably expect to see these metro areas often visited: Chicago, Kansas City, St. Louis. Those are all pretty much in that radius.

Then they said they'll go out of that radius to markets they've got a history in, which will likely include Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Louisville, New Jersey, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama

50 mph is low when factoring in interstate highway travel like it will be to many big cities. Bierman to KC, for example, is 6 hrs, 17 minutes according to Google Maps.
50 mph is a standard used in the transportation industry to account for stops, meals, etc.

This was 8 hours at 50 mph.

this is starting to sound like one of those old math problems: Two vehicles begin driving from cities that are 100 miles apart. Vehicle A is driving 50 miles an hour. Vehicle B is driving 40 miles an hour..........

50 mph is a standard used in the transportation industry to account for stops, meals, etc.

I'm guessing Fleck wasn't using a transportation industry standard when putting together his 6-8 hour radius. It's not a strict radius, it's more of a loose one to give media/fans a general idea of the recruiting area.

If most of the guys come from that blue blob, we're going to suck.

There's not enough P5 talent in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa (and the east Dakotas / U.P.) to build a consistent winner. Even if we get everyone we want, which won't happen. It's still going to be exceedingly difficult to pry the best players out of Iowa or Wisconsin each year as long as those programs are generally running better than the U.

Illinois will need to remain a significant source of talent, since the in-state schools have less of a stranglehold there. This program will still need to continue to recruit many of the speed position players from outside the area.

I'm guessing Fleck wasn't using a transportation industry standard when putting together his 6-8 hour radius. It's not a strict radius, it's more of a loose one to give media/fans a general idea of the recruiting area.
Well I don't have a copy of Fleck's travel preferences so I had to start somewhere and working in transportation this is the figure that is most common. Of course it's not a strict radius, I didn't send this to the regents and say "This is how far Fleck can travel for recruits."

Due to popular demand, here is 8 hours of travel at 60 mph.

The site I used to make these maps is https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-can-i-travel.htm

View attachment 4846

I question the veracity of this map. My hometown in SD is relatively close to the edge of this "circle," and I routinely drive that distance in 5 - 5.5 hours. When really pushing it (i.e., without the wife and kids in the car), I've made it in 4.5.
I would also add that you're doing something wrong if it takes you 8 hours to get just on the other side of Chicago. I occasionally visit my cousin in Rantoul, just outside Champaign (about 140 miles past Chicago) and that usually takes 8.5 - 9 hours.

I question the veracity of this map. My hometown in SD is relatively close to the edge of this "circle," and I routinely drive that distance in 5 - 5.5 hours. When really pushing it (i.e., without the wife and kids in the car), I've made it in 4.5.
I would also add that you're doing something wrong if it takes you 8 hours to get just on the other side of Chicago. I occasionally visit my cousin in Rantoul, just outside Champaign (about 140 miles past Chicago) and that usually takes 8.5 - 9 hours.
Just got on the google and found it, can't speak to its methodology.

Cutting through Mankato and then MN-60 to Worthington to get on I-90, 8 hours gets you roughly halfway between Wall and Rapid City. Going the other way, 8 hours can land you 15 miles west of Kalamazoo, MI, or halfway between West Lafayette and Indianapolis. Going south, you'd be just outside of St. Louis.

Here are relative driving distances for reference using Google with the Unversity Of Minnesota as the starting point (Hours:Minutes):

Des Moines IA 3 31
Sioux Falls SD 3 59
Cedar Rapids IA 4 17
Milwaukee WI 4 54
Rockford IL 5 00
Davenport IA 5 30
Omaha NE 5 39
Chicago IL 6 00
Kansas City MO 6 23
Bismarck ND 6 23
Lincoln NE 6 25
Peoria IL 6 49
Champaign IL 7 23
Columbia MO 7 31
St. Louis MO 8 34
Indianapolis IN 8 38
Fort Wayne IN 8 46
Lansing MI 9 16
Wichita KS 9 18
Bloomington IN 9 38
Toledo OH 9 44
Tulsa OK 10 15
Detroit MI 10 18
Cincinnatti OH 10 22
Louisville KY 10 23
Evansville IN 10 42
Columbus OH 11 13
Cleveland OH 11 15
Oklahoma City 11 24

This does not take into consideration mitigating travel factors.

What stood out in the crude roster plot was Georgia is an established pipeline.
We still have 69 players on the roster that come from a good part of B1G country (MN 33, IL 11, IA 5, MI 5, OH 5, WI 4, OH 4, KS 4, IN 2, SD 1). That is 67.6% of the roster.

To determine whether all these players are within an eight-hour driving radius, you'd have to plot distnces from their hometowns. The whole point, is they will drive that extra hour in B1G country to nab a recruit.

This seem to indicate that regional recruiting is not enough. They'd have to establish pipelines like the one in GA.

PJF seem to imply that he wants to hit the recruiting base harder than ever before, but still have to go outside and cast a wider net for talent deficits.

Another intangible group to consider in the recruiting scenario are the legacy players, families who moved away from MN, Sibling ties, and those with family ties in the area.

A few more interesting facts, using data from here: https://www.oir.umn.edu/student/enrollment_map/report

Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Ohio, 8% are on the football team.
Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Georgia, 21% are on the football team.
Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Louisiana, 30% are on the football team.
Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Kentucky, 40% are on the football team.
Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Alabama, 57% are on the football team.

(this is all assuming any player who isn't a redshirt senior is an undergrad)

Obviously money is a huge concern for most out of state students but not many football players, but this is still surprising. Even though they're focusing on the 8 hour radius they still are able to pull in recruits from areas that the U doesn't really pull from.

A few more interesting facts, using data from here: https://www.oir.umn.edu/student/enrollment_map/report

Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Ohio, 8% are on the football team.
Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Georgia, 21% are on the football team.
Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Louisiana, 30% are on the football team.
Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Kentucky, 40% are on the football team.
Of the undergrads at UMN-TC from Alabama, 57% are on the football team.

(this is all assuming any player who isn't a redshirt senior is an undergrad)

Obviously money is a huge concern for most out of state students but not many football players, but this is still surprising. Even though they're focusing on the 8 hour radius they still are able to pull in recruits from areas that the U doesn't really pull from.

Why is this surprising?

Why is this surprising?

I would have thought that a lot of the recruits from the south would have stayed in the south. Minnesota isn't exactly considered an attractive place to most people outside of the upper midwest.

I would have thought that a lot of the recruits from the south would have stayed in the south. Minnesota isn't exactly considered an attractive place to most people outside of the upper midwest.

There's more talent in the south and only so many schools to play at. More talent from the south comes north than vice versa.

I guess I was more confused why you were shocked that a large percentage of the overall students at the U from those states are football players.

There's more talent in the south and only so many schools to play at. More talent from the south comes north than vice versa.

I guess I was more confused why you were shocked that a large percentage of the overall students at the U from those states are football players.

I knew that there was more talent in the south but not that there was significantly more. I don't follow recruiting or where players stand out closely, so it was surprising to me. I guess if you follow these things it probably seems obvious.

With the expense of out of state tuition and the high entrance requirements, not to mention the snow, it is not surprising that we don't too many students that have to pay their own way.

With the expense of out of state tuition and the high entrance requirements, not to mention the snow, it is not surprising that we don't too many students that have to pay their own way.

That was my point I was indirectly making. Are we surprised there aren't a lot of non-athletes going to the U from states like GA, AL, etc.?

Top Bottom