B1G NBA Early Declare List

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Has or Will Hire Agent (He Gone)
OG Anunoby, Indiana
Trevor Thompson, Ohio State
Melo Trimble, Maryland

Declared, Hasn't Hired Agent (Can Still Return)
James Blackmon Jr., Indiana
Thomas Bryant, Indiana
Vince Edwards, Purdue
Isaac Haas, Purdue
Robert Johnson, Indiana
Corey Sanders, Rutgers
Caleb Swanigan, Purdue
Moritz Wagner, Michigan
Kam Williams, Ohio State
D.J. Wilson, Michigan

Swanigan declares but won't hire an agent

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My guess is Biggie is back with the Boilers. Put them at the top of the list. He's a great player, but lacks the quickness to guard NBA players, which I think will hurt him in the draft. There's a reason he's not hiring an agent. He knows he's borderline being a first rounder.

He is projecting as a first round pick on some mocks. If that is true, he is gone. Stock won't go up. His deficiencies won't change with another year of college basketball.

He is projecting as a first round pick on some mocks. If that is true, he is gone. Stock won't go up. His deficiencies won't change with another year of college basketball.

Exactly. Another season of college ball can only hurt Swanigan's stock. Still might be possible he comes back, but if so it would show he values his college experience/getting closer to a diploma vs. maximizing his professional career earnings.

My guess is Biggie is back with the Boilers. Put them at the top of the list. He's a great player, but lacks the quickness to guard NBA players, which I think will hurt him in the draft. There's a reason he's not hiring an agent. He knows he's borderline being a first rounder.

I doubt it, he's still a tough interior player with a decent outside game that will only get better in the NBA with more time to work on his game, I don't think Biggie can raise his stock by staying in school, even with another monster year i think he can only hurt it by getting a year older

I think Purdue should be #1 in the country if he returns. They'd return all 5 starters and their top 7 leading scorers from a 27-8 team and 14-4 Big Ten team. They also have a solid recruiting class with the #67 player in the country, a Juco PF, another 7-2 center/PF and two other guys to add some nice depth.

Kris Dunn after his 3rd year was a projected late lottery pick after winning Big East POY and DPOY and then ended up getting taken #5 overall and the clear #1 PG after his 4th year so it's possible a guy like Swannigan could improve his stock. If he lost 15 more pounds that would probably help alot. He's surprisingly listed at only 250 but still looks pretty big and out of shape and just doesn't have the body of a typical NBA PF.

I think Purdue should be #1 in the country if he returns. They'd return all 5 starters and their top 7 leading scorers from a 27-8 team and 14-4 Big Ten team. They also have a solid recruiting class with the #67 player in the country, a Juco PF, another 7-2 center/PF and two other guys to add some nice depth.

Lot of returning players but not enough talent overall to be elite.

Lot of returning players but not enough talent overall to be elite.

Well in 2011-12, Indiana went 27-9 overall and 11-7 in the Big Ten, made it to the sweet 16 and returned their top 5 leading scorers and were the consensus preseason #1 team the next year. Purdue this year went 27-8, 14-4 in the Big Ten and also made it to the sweet 16 and would return their top 7 scorers so there is no reason to believe it would be any different. Also none of the other projected top tops like Louisville, UNC, UK, Duke, Arizona etc. return a crazy number of players like Purdue would. Those teams are relying on a few good returning players and a few stud freshman. Swannigan would be the consensus national POY candidate and it wouldn't be close.

I think Purdue will be a top 20 team even without him.

That Indiana team also had 2 top 5 picks on it. And the B1G had earned more national respect at that point as well. Believe there were seven different B1G teams ranked in the top 15 in the nation at various points that year and 5 in the final top 20, and that was when the B1G only had 12 teams. Many B1G teams with wins over highly ranked teams in non-conf in 2011-12 and 2012-13. Conferene had more elite talent then

Purdue will be solid without Swanigan, and preseason top 10 if he and Edwards both come back. Respect for the conference can easily come back. Just gotta get it done on the court, get the national championship monkey off the conference's back (or at least not make it 0 elite 8 teams for a third year in a row), and start landing a few more five star recruits.

That Indiana team also had 2 top 5 picks on it. And the B1G had earned more national respect at that point as well. Believe there were seven different B1G teams ranked in the top 15 in the nation at various points that year and 5 in the final top 20, and that was when the B1G only had 12 teams. Many B1G teams with wins over highly ranked teams in non-conf in 2011-12 and 2012-13. Conferene had more elite talent then

Purdue will be solid without Swanigan, and preseason top 10 if he and Edwards both come back. Respect for the conference can easily come back. Just gotta get it done on the court, get the national championship monkey off the conference's back (or at least not make it 0 elite 8 teams for a third year in a row), and start landing a few more five star recruits.

Well Indiana was a 4 seed the year before their preseason #1 projections and Purdue was a 4 seed this year so IU's stronger schedule that resulted in a worse conference record (11-7) ended up equaling about the same resume that Purdue had this year with a weaker schedule but better conference record (14-4).

Swannigan is a superior returning college player (if he returns) compared to when Zeller returned at his point in time for his sophomore year and although Oladipo ended up being a top 5 pick, he wasn't a projected first team all big ten guy or anything like that when he decided to return for his junior year IICC. Not that much different than Haas IMO as a second option who will also play in the NBA. Vince Edwards could possibly play in the NBA as well, Mathias made the All Big Ten defensive team and was arguably the best perimeter defender in the conference last year and Carsen Edwards was one of the better freshman last year and double digit scorer and will probably be better. The only advantage IU had going into that year would be the addition of Yogi Ferrell, a top 30 recruit although this Purdue team does have a top 100 guy coming in, 3 more freshman and a Juco transfer as well. They do have some talent beside Swannigan

I think Purdue would have every bit the case to be #1 if Swannigan returns that IU had if not a better case.

Well Indiana was a 4 seed the year before their preseason #1 projections and Purdue was a 4 seed this year so IU's stronger schedule that resulted in a worse conference record (11-7) ended up equaling about the same resume that Purdue had this year with a weaker schedule but better conference record (14-4).

Swannigan is a superior returning college player (if he returns) compared to when Zeller returned at his point in time for his sophomore year and although Oladipo ended up being a top 5 pick, he wasn't a projected first team all big ten guy or anything like that when he decided to return for his junior year IICC. Not that much different than Haas IMO as a second option who will also play in the NBA. Vince Edwards could possibly play in the NBA as well, Mathias made the All Big Ten defensive team and was arguably the best perimeter defender in the conference last year and Carsen Edwards was one of the better freshman last year and double digit scorer and will probably be better. The only advantage IU had going into that year would be the addition of Yogi Ferrell, a top 30 recruit although this Purdue team does have a top 100 guy coming in, 3 more freshman and a Juco transfer as well. They do have some talent beside Swannigan

I think Purdue would have every bit the case to be #1 if Swannigan returns that IU had if not a better case.

This is a team that lost to Kansas by 30 pts in the sweet 16. No way do they have a legit claim to being #1 in the country.
I like Purdue. I like Matt Painter. But they were the least-flawed team in a solid (top to bottom) but not outstanding conference this year. Top 10, maybe.

per Jon Rothstein, Purdue's Vincent Edwards is declaring for the draft without signing with an agent.

Indiana's OG Anunoby declares, will hire agent

Can't say I'm shocked, I bet Bryant follows suit

Wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not sure Bryant is as automatic as OG in the draft world. I'm real curious to see how the injury affects his draft status.

Wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not sure Bryant is as automatic as OG in the draft world. I'm real curious to see how the injury affects his draft status.

I agree, my view on Bryant would be more of a this is as good as it will get approach. He was someone who could've been a first round, possibly a lotto pick last year, draft stock took a dive this year, he has the tools, just wasn't used right by Crean IMO, another year makes him older and the NBA seems to value youth. Next year is suppose to be the year of the big man with the one and done's, so I can't see Bryant raising his stock over guys who will be just as good but younger

Bryant is a likely second round pick while OG tends to show up on mock drafts anywhere from 12-20 in the first round. Bryant fully intended to leave IU after this season but his draft stock now has him facing the reality that he may be better off staying another year. Best guess is he declares without hiring an agent and let's the draft process play out before making a final decision.

Agree, Bryant should come back. Given the expectations he's been very underwhelming his first two seasons. He's looked like an average Big Ten player. He's a guy I think could really raise his stock by coming back for another season. Can't see him as a first-rounder at all, unlike a guy like Bridges who undoubtedly will be at worst a 15-20 pick in the first round.

Michigan's D.J. Wilson declares, not hiring an agent

Lot of guys jumping ship. Really changes the outlook of the conference, if most or all stay in the draft.

Ditto for Michigan's Moritz Wagner

Wouldn't be surprised if Lynch throws his name in there just so he can get a read on what NBA people think of him at this point.

That would be a massive blow if Michigan loses both those guys in addition to Irvin and Walton.

Add Purdue's Isaac Haas to the list, won't hire agent

This one not a surprise, he's expected to return for his senior season.

Top Bottom