Pioneer Press: Gophers wide receiver Tyler Johnson stands out in spring practices

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Under P.J. Fleck, a former wide receiver turned Gophers head coach, Minnesota receivers must learn all spots within the group, from split end to slot.

Fleck wants position flexibility, and he has seen sophomore Tyler Johnson rise above through the first six spring practices. Johnson’s leaping catch of a deep ball from quarterback Conor Rhoda and his fluidity to reel in a grab on a crossing route had fans talking during Tuesday’s open-to-the-public session at the Gibson Nagurski Football Complex.

Fleck also had something to say about Johnson when asked about the position’s progress.

“TJ is doing a tremendous job,” Fleck said. “He is starting to separate himself a little bit with his work ethic. … His discipline to learn every position and learn every route.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/2...tyler-johnson-stands-out-in-spring-practices/

Go Gophers!!

Think he's got huge upside. Hopefully Fleck can unlock it with him and Still. Can see a very challenging combo for opponents if that happens. Add in Brooks out of the backfield, and Gophs could have enough of a passing threat to keep defenses from stacking the line.

Think he's got huge upside. Hopefully Fleck can unlock it with him and Still. Can see a very challenging combo for opponents if that happens. Add in Brooks out of the backfield, and Gophs could have enough of a passing threat to keep defenses from stacking the line.

Absolutely agree! Although I think Rodney is a little better of a receiver out of the backfield. Both have good hands though!

Tyler got a lot of nice game experience, earning immediate time as true frosh. Was a big time, three sport leader at Mpls North. A multiple champion. Love we got him to stay home with Wisconsin and Iowa offering.

Passing game improvement is going to be huge...Fleck is an NFL receiver himself and a great WR coach with proven track record of success at college level at NIU, Rutgers, WMU and at NFL level with Tampa Bay. Simon is basically Fleck clone. Fleck praised him a lot yesterday. The combined coaching of those two should really be big plus, especially mixed in with the Rock bringing better quarterback play and a better passing game.

Fleck also had praise for Eric Carter. Nice to have a fifth year, experienced guy like him in the position group.

Fleck also has identified Still as freakishly talented. Still is now a third year guy who has a lot of game experience.

They need to develop some of these physically mature, raw talent fourth year guys like Holland, Gentry or third year guy Register and we will have a good core of mature upper classmen wrs. And, third year guy walk-on Morse was on depth chart last year and has stood out this Spring again (catch of the day yesterday).

These guys can then be challenged by red shirt frosh Hmielewski (some good reports), red shirt frosh Howard (loved his hs film, Autman-Bell (Fleck loves, loves, loves this kid), and VanDyne (possibly the steal of the class; loved beating Iowa for him) in ten weeks. Plus Oregon flip Douglas could be very good (Fleck put on a hard press for him; love to see him go after Omar's records), redshirt frosh Mark Williams could be very good (he has some serious juke).

I like that we have a fifth year TE, a fourth year tight end, and two third year tight ends to mix into the passing game. Woz, Lingen, Beebe and Witham all have game experience and seem to have huge "How" to their games. The redshirt, Kieft, has impressed this Spring and Fleck landed some big time recruits in Paulson, Umlor, and Bursch. The new TE coach Callahan was a Scoop coach of the year last year and has a great 25 year track record.

Love the idea of getting proven veterans Brooks and/or Smith involved in passing game.

Has anyone heard anything about Holland or Gentry (assuming he isn't still in special jersey) thus far? I will be most interested to see if PJF sees something in these guys that Kill/Claeys didn't seem to or if they have the same conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wide Receivers

Who was the guy in a gold jersey with no number? Was that Register? Whoever, that guy looked good to me.
Rashad Still is freakishly impressive. He can be amazing. Eric Carter looked good.
TJ looks great. Those four were clearly the top four to me. I liked Hmielewski next.
I don't think it's gonna happen for Gentry and Holland....they don't look to be at the level of the other guys.
Those were the guys I noticed.

Gosh, I hope we throw the ball to Rodney Smith and Brooks out of the backfield or where ever they wanna line them up.

I also liked we repped bubble screen passes a lot in drills!!!

Who was the guy in a gold jersey with no number? Was that Register? Whoever, that guy looked good to me.
Rashad Still is freakishly impressive. He can be amazing. Eric Carter looked good.
TJ looks great. Those four were clearly the top four to me. I liked Hmielewski next.
I don't think it's gonna happen for Gentry and Holland....they don't look to be at the level of the other guys.
Those were the guys I noticed.

Gosh, I hope we throw the ball to Rodney Smith and Brooks out of the backfield or where ever they wanna line them up.

I also liked we repped bubble screen passes a lot in drills!!!

Still got little better at separation last year but still had alligator arms at times. Fleck is hammering possession and attacking the ball so I can't help but think Still will show big improvement.

Can't wait to see a two back set (Smith & Brooks) on 2nd down and medium with Still and Johnson wide and a lot of motion. Couple quick passes for 1st downs then a big run out of the same set later in the game.

Essentially, we have two WR coaches in Fleck and Simon. I liked what I saw of Simon's video. We will have an improved balanced passing attack. If not immediately, towards the end of the season.

They will make it difficult for defenses to stop the run with a serious vertical threat.

We really have some great talent. The only worry I have is the thin OL. One would expect to see some guys converted to OL if they cannot get transfers or late signings before the start of the season.

Would we see the shifting athletic linemen of the Mason Era?

Essentially, we have two WR coaches in Fleck and Simon. I liked what I saw of Simon's video. We will have an improved balanced passing attack. If not immediately, towards the end of the season.

They will make it difficult for defenses to stop the run with a serious vertical threat.

We really have some great talent. The only worry I have is the thin OL. One would expect to see some guys converted to OL if they cannot get transfers or late signings before the start of the season.

Would we see the shifting athletic linemen of the Mason Era?

Loved seeing Eslinger pull and lead the charge...

Absolutely agree! Although I think Rodney is a little better of a receiver out of the backfield. Both have good hands though!

Good because Shannon is the better passer? I see some awesome trick play options...

WR seems like an area where you really need a good coach to bring out the talent in college. Not a lot of good WR coaching in HS, most teams barely use the WR. It looks like we have a couple of really good WR coaches, hopefully they can develop our players. Most of the videos coming out of spring camp seems to emphasize the passing games. Register had a real nice grab and cut in one of the videos.

WR seems like an area where you really need a good coach to bring out the talent in college. Not a lot of good WR coaching in HS, most teams barely use the WR. It looks like we have a couple of really good WR coaches, hopefully they can develop our players. Most of the videos coming out of spring camp seems to emphasize the passing games. Register had a real nice grab and cut in one of the videos.

Especially true in Minnesota. I know many teams were the TE was really the receiver. Many teams back in the day had a full backfield and double tight ends. Three yards and a clump of sod...;)

Not easy for MN HS teams to get the passing game going in October/November with the high winds, cold, rain and snow that often happen.
That is why high school receivers from the northern states may take a little more time to develop.

Tyler got a lot of nice game experience, earning immediate time as true frosh. Was a big time, three sport leader at Mpls North. A multiple champion. Love we got him to stay home with Wisconsin and Iowa offering.

Passing game improvement is going to be huge...Fleck is an NFL receiver himself and a great WR coach with proven track record of success at college level at NIU, Rutgers, WMU and at NFL level with Tampa Bay. Simon is basically Fleck clone. Fleck praised him a lot yesterday. The combined coaching of those two should really be big plus, especially mixed in with the Rock bringing better quarterback play and a better passing game.

Fleck also had praise for Eric Carter. Nice to have a fifth year, experienced guy like him in the position group.

Fleck also has identified Still as freakishly talented. Still is now a third year guy who has a lot of game experience.

They need to develop some of these physically mature, raw talent fourth year guys like Holland, Gentry or third year guy Register and we will have a good core of mature upper classmen wrs. And, third year guy walk-on Morse was on depth chart last year and has stood out this Spring again (catch of the day yesterday).

These guys can then be challenged by red shirt frosh Hmielewski (some good reports), red shirt frosh Howard (loved his hs film, Autman-Bell (Fleck loves, loves, loves this kid), and VanDyne (possibly the steal of the class; loved beating Iowa for him) in ten weeks. Plus Oregon flip Douglas could be very good (Fleck put on a hard press for him; love to see him go after Omar's records), redshirt frosh Mark Williams could be very good (he has some serious juke).

I like that we have a fifth year TE, a fourth year tight end, and two third year tight ends to mix into the passing game. Woz, Lingen, Beebe and Witham all have game experience and seem to have huge "How" to their games. The redshirt, Kieft, has impressed this Spring and Fleck landed some big time recruits in Paulson, Umlor, and Bursch. The new TE coach Callahan was a Scoop coach of the year last year and has a great 25 year track record.

Love the idea of getting proven veterans Brooks and/or Smith involved in passing game.

Just think of the redzone potential. Register and Still wide with Eric Carter and or Johnson in the slot. Add in Wozniak or Lingen at TE. Nice options. Spreading out the D could create creases for Brooks and Smith.

The only worry I have is the thin OL. One would expect to see some guys converted to OL if they cannot get transfers or late signings before the start of the season.

They only have five OL practicing right now, but they have 10 at practice and at least four more coming in about ten weeks.

It should actually be a deep, experienced, mature and talented unit, with some top notch coaching

Warinner is regarded as one of if not the best oline coaches in College football with a proven 30 year track record at some very successful teams at Ohio State, Notre Dame, Illinois, and Kansas. Worked with run heavy offenses and some real How- types at Army and Air Force. He's got Callahan helping him, who also has a great oline reputation. They brought in a ga who was an olineman. They have former olineman/oline coach Norries Wilson around the program in a support role, which can't hurt.

They have a good core of four fourth and fifth year guys returning who were starters on an oline that lead the Big Ten in pass pro and was top 5 in running...Wright, Weyler, Greene, and Calhoun.

They also have three third year guys who gained playing experience last year in Connelly, Dovich and Oseland.

They take redshirts off Olson (who may start) and Schlueter (who was very highly recruited).

Walk-on Just has big size listed on roster, played some juco ball.

They signed three guys who may be ready as freshmen in four-star Andries, Sassack (Big Ten and SEC offers), and Schmitz (top ranked center in Midwest.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck and Warinner (both top of the heap recruiters) land a late grad transfer, a late juco, or an under the radar high school guy. Also, Abojei may yet qualify.

They also have Rousemiller walking-on, turning down a North Dakota offer.

I think the new S and C staff will do wonders for the o-line. Expect a lot fewer injuries, so you might only need 8 key oline guys that you trust. Fleck praised the five that are practicing this week who are getting great reps, great conditioning and showing a lot of "How."

They have a number of big experienced mature run blockers at tight end that they can use to assist the o-line.

The three returning 3rd and 4th year running backs can help make an oline look good as well.

I'm not worried about o-line/run game.

Good because Shannon is the better passer? I see some awesome trick play options...

Ohhh!! Haha my bad, that went over my head. Yes I would agree with that. I wouldn't mind seeing some wild gopher perhaps. Shannon at QB and Rodney at RB. That could be scary with shannons ability to throw.

Not easy for MN HS teams to get the passing game going in October/November with the high winds, cold, rain and snow that often happen.
That is why high school receivers from the northern states may take a little more time to develop.

Yeah, it seems like something has changed in the last 15-20 years too. Seemed like before then MN would put out a fairly highly recruited HS QB every couple years...meaning there had to be more of a passing game going on at the HS level.

They only have five OL practicing right now, but they have 10 at practice and at least four more coming in about ten weeks.

It should actually be a deep, experienced, mature and talented unit, with some top notch coaching

Warinner is regarded as one of if not the best oline coaches in College football with a proven 30 year track record at some very successful teams at Ohio State, Notre Dame, Illinois, and Kansas. Worked with run heavy offenses and some real How- types at Army and Air Force. He's got Callahan helping him, who also has a great oline reputation. They brought in a ga who was an olineman. They have former olineman/oline coach Norries Wilson around the program in a support role, which can't hurt.

They have a good core of four fourth and fifth year guys returning who were starters on an oline that lead the Big Ten in pass pro and was top 5 in running...Wright, Weyler, Greene, and Calhoun.

They also have three third year guys who gained playing experience last year in Connelly, Dovich and Oseland.

They take redshirts off Olson (who may start) and Schlueter (who was very highly recruited).

Walk-on Just has big size listed on roster, played some juco ball.

They signed three guys who may be ready as freshmen in four-star Andries, Sassack (Big Ten and SEC offers), and Schmitz (top ranked center in Midwest.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fleck and Warinner (both top of the heap recruiters) land a late grad transfer, a late juco, or an under the radar high school guy. Also, Abojei may yet qualify.

They also have Rousemiller walking-on, turning down a North Dakota offer.

I think the new S and C staff will do wonders for the o-line. Expect a lot fewer injuries, so you might only need 8 key oline guys that you trust. Fleck praised the five that are practicing this week who are getting great reps, great conditioning and showing a lot of "How."

They have a number of big experienced mature run blockers at tight end that they can use to assist the o-line.

The three returning 3rd and 4th year running backs can help make an oline look good as well.

I'm not worried about o-line/run game.

Forget about PJF's motivational skills. I listen to Swingman and I get fired up.

Great take Swingman. I forgot about the walk-on Rousemiller and the three signees plus there are eight TEs now. We hope there is good news on Eric Abojei soon.

The other thing helping our offense is that many of our opponents have had big talent drains on defense, coaching upheavals on defense.

Badgers had Biegel, Watt and Sojourn Shelton at the Combine. Also lose Musso, who killed us. Chryst gambling that Leonhard can be DC and Bostad can coach linebackers.

Hawks had the big DT, Jaleel Johnson, and the great safety, King, at the combine. Lose Mabin, who was a good corner.

Huskers had the good safety, Gerry, at the combine. Also lose three Big Ten HM guys on defense in the linebacker, Banderas, the DE, Dzuris, the big DT, Maurice. Riley fired his long time asst. as def coord and another def coach.

Northwestern has to replace Combine guys Anthony Walker (lb) and Dline guy Odenigbo.

Michigan State loses combine talent Bullough (lb), the dline guy, Malik McDowell, the safety, Nicholson. also HM Big Ten CB Hicks. Plus who knows who ever else gets suspended, expelled in their sex assault case. He has had two linebackers transfer already.

Michigan loses NINE NFL combine guys on defense: Charlton (DL), Clark (cb), Gedeon (lb), Glasgow (dt), Hill (ss), Lewis (cb), Peppers (lb), Stribling (cb), Wormley (de). Plus, three HM All Big Ten guys: DT Godin, McCray, Thomas.

Illinois had three dline guys at NFL combine: Clements, Phillips, Smoot and linebacker Nickerson. plus they lose an HM All-Big LB, Watson. lost lb coach to NFL.

Oregon State loses an NFL talent db.

Maryland loses combine talent Will Likely. HM Big Ten lb Cockerille has been suspended for Bowlgame and Spring practice. Lost associate head coach Mike London to a hc job.

Purdue loses all -big HM guys Replogle and Panfil. All new staff.

MTSU hired Scott Shafer to try and fix a defense that gave up 40 points plus in conference. They lose their front four and top db.

The other thing helping our offense is that many of our opponents have had big talent drains on defense, coaching upheavals on defense.

Badgers had Biegel, Watt and Sojourn Shelton at the Combine. Also lose Musso, who killed us. Chryst gambling that Leonhard can be DC and Bostad can coach linebackers.

Hawks had the big DT, Jaleel Johnson, and the great safety, King, at the combine. Lose Mabin, who was a good corner.

Huskers had the good safety, Gerry, at the combine. Also lose three Big Ten HM guys on defense in the linebacker, Banderas, the DE, Dzuris, the big DT, Maurice. Riley fired his long time asst. as def coord and another def coach.

Northwestern has to replace Combine guys Anthony Walker (lb) and Dline guy Odenigbo.

Michigan State loses combine talent Bullough (lb), the dline guy, Malik McDowell, the safety, Nicholson. also HM Big Ten CB Hicks. Plus who knows who ever else gets suspended, expelled in their sex assault case. He has had two linebackers transfer already.

Michigan loses NINE NFL combine guys on defense: Charlton (DL), Clark (cb), Gedeon (lb), Glasgow (dt), Hill (ss), Lewis (cb), Peppers (lb), Stribling (cb), Wormley (de). Plus, three HM All Big Ten guys: DT Godin, McCray, Thomas.

Illinois had three dline guys at NFL combine: Clements, Phillips, Smoot and linebacker Nickerson. plus they lose an HM All-Big LB, Watson. lost lb coach to NFL.

Maryland loses cobine talent Will Likely. Lost associate head coach Mike London to a hc job. Purdue loses all -big HM guys Replogle and Panfil. All new staff.

Yeah, Badger dline looks anemic on its current roster. Stuffed with OLs. Got to think some will be converted.

Just think of the redzone potential. Register and Still wide with Eric Carter and or Johnson in the slot. Add in Wozniak or Lingen at TE. Nice options. Spreading out the D could create creases for Brooks and Smith.

Why not include a WR who has hops like this?

CSF_CBrWUAAyfHG.jpg

Woz is 6'10". All we have to do is throw it high where only he can catch it.

IALTO

Good to see that wide receivers can play at any of the wide outs including slots. I can't think of any thing more exasperating than to see wide outs run across the formation, when time is of the essence, to line up at as a split end rather than the slot in the play called. All the pass receivers should be ready to catch the ball whether as a slot or a wide out to the wide side of short side.

Has anyone heard anything about Holland or Gentry (assuming he isn't still in special jersey) thus far? I will be most interested to see if PJF sees something in these guys that Kill/Claeys didn't seem to or if they have the same conclusion.

Actually yes. In one of the practice reports that I read, Gentry was getting first team reps with Johnson and Still instead of Carter.

He seemed disinterested to me

Actually yes. In one of the practice reports that I read, Gentry was getting first team reps with Johnson and Still instead of Carter.

Cool. Thanks.

Top Bottom