All things 2017 EXTRA Scholarship

Take the best guy you can get. If he can play right now, cool. If he has to wait a year, cool. Lynch's impact on the team was worth the wait. Springs had an immediate impact that was invaluable. We got Jordan Murphy late as a high schooler. Get talent, figure the rest out later

Cam Johnson from Pitt just opted to transfer over the weekend. I honestly don't think there is a better transfer fit in the country than what he could bring. He's immediately eligible and has two years of eligibility remaining. He's a wing player who shot 42% from 3 and averaged 12 ppg playing against ACC competition. If Dupree would be okay with coming off the bench for the rest of his career, Johnson could slide right into the starting rotation, and we'd be even better than what we were with Springs.

I don't know much about Cam other than he is a 6' 8" wing that can shoot from distance. He was one of Pitt's leading scorers. I say YES please. We need shooters, and length is a huge bonus. Of course, I have no idea about his character or ability to play defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO we do not need a grad transfer....we already have a huge senior class which will be harder to fill than a class of three would be if we had balanced classes. So working towards balancing them will help. It's hard to get 5 awesome players in a year...one or two much easier. We have Konate and Lynch both graduating. All this year we were short a big presence when Lynch often and Murphy sometimes got in foul trouble. We were great this year. We lose Springs but we gain three bodies to replace...Fitzgerald, Washington and Harris. All our players are going to have one more year of experience than last year. Our problem last year was depth not talent. My guess is these three guys will more than make up for the loss of Springs and give us some of the depth we were missing...we will improve relative to our opponents because we have so many returning starters. We need, if we can get, a big. After this next year, we are so thin there...and unfortunately there are fewer bigs to select from and they take longer to develop. If we don't think about future years, we will really hurt ourselves in the 2018-19. Personally, I think we are going to be much better next year no matter who fills Gilbert's scholarship.

I understand the desire to balance classes and keep from having a huge drop-off after next season, but we have a legitimate chance to win the Big Ten next year, and if a stud wing grad transfer is the difference between top 4 and Big Ten champs and/or the difference between the round of 32 and the Elite Eight, that's what we should do, and worry about the fallout later. I think we should be doing everything we can to win the conference in 2017-18, hit the highest peak we can, maybe have one of the best seasons in our program's history, and the rest will sort itself out. I'd rather finish 1st and 7th in the next two seasons than finishing 4th both years.

I understand the desire to balance classes and keep from having a huge drop-off after next season, but we have a legitimate chance to win the Big Ten next year, and if a stud wing grad transfer is the difference between top 4 and Big Ten champs and/or the difference between the round of 32 and the Elite Eight, that's what we should do, and worry about the fallout later. I think we should be doing everything we can to win the conference in 2017-18, hit the highest peak we can, maybe have one of the best seasons in our program's history, and the rest will sort itself out. I'd rather finish 1st and 7th in the next two seasons than finishing 4th both years.

Agree. This isn't football. You don't have to worry as much about balancing classes because one injury or transfer can totally change plans, and it is much easier to get an impact freshman in basketball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup, get the guy who can make the biggest impact on next years team. Go all in!!!

It's not like we are in terrible shape for 2018-19 either, as long as no one leaves.

Washington
McBrayer/Harris
Coffey/Hurt
Murphy/Fitzgerald?
Curry/Oturu

It's not like we are in terrible shape for 2018-19 either, as long as no one leaves.

Washington
McBrayer/Harris
Coffey/Hurt
Murphy/Fitzgerald?
Curry/Oturu

Yup, plus the other 5 or whatever incoming guys. I think Fitzgerald is will be out of eligibility but I don't know that I guess.

As long as Fitzgerald got a medical redshirt for this past season he would still have 2 years of eligibility left. This should be near automatic.

I sure with we would hear some rumors or rumblings on this. This is a huge scholarship to give.

As long as Fitzgerald got a medical redshirt for this past season he would still have 2 years of eligibility left. This should be near automatic.

I'm not sure it's as automatic as it used to be, and I think they don't actually apply for it until after their eligibility is up. This way, he can come back from the injury, and he and the coaching staff can make a decision about whether he wants to come back for another year. It's a major injury he is returning from a second time. No guarantees at all from a health standpoint.

Doing additional research, I doubt Fitzgerald will be able to play a 6th year. In order to get a sixth year, you have to miss two seasons, defined by playing in >30% of your teams games, due to reasons beyond the athletes control. That includes things like injury or extreme financial hardship among others. So Davonte's redshirt season, due to transfer, wouldn't count in getting that 6th year.

Doing additional research, I doubt Fitzgerald will be able to play a 6th year. In order to get a sixth year, you have to miss two seasons, defined by playing in >30% of your teams games, due to reasons beyond the athletes control. That includes things like injury or extreme financial hardship among others. So Davonte's redshirt season, due to transfer, wouldn't count in getting that 6th year.

Didn't he miss significant time at Texas A&M as well?

I believe he got injured toward the end of his Freshman year.

2013-2014: 24 games
2014-2015: 25 games
2015-2016: Sat out due to transfer
2016-2017: Sat out due to injury

That is his timeline so far.

He missed some games in both of his years there, but played in well over 20 games each year. If DeathClutch's research is correct I don't see how he gets a sixth year.

Yup, get the guy who can make the biggest impact on next years team. Go all in!!!

Ditto. Get as much ammo as possible and attack next year in full force. Worry about 18-19 later. If there's a little drop off and four or five new faces, who cares! After a 23 win regular season, I'd rather shoot for a 26 win regular season followed by a 19 or 20 win regular season than consecutive seasons of 23, 23, and 21.

He missed some games in both of his years there, but played in well over 20 games each year. If DeathClutch's research is correct I don't see how he gets a sixth year.

Mbwake

2007 - 2008 Marquette
2008 - 2009 Miami-Date
2009 - 2010 Redshirted transfer
2010 - 2011 Minnesota
2011 - 2012 Injured in 7th game and medical redshirted
2012 - 2013 Minnesota

Mbwake

2007 - 2008 Marquette
2008 - 2009 Miami-Date
2010 - 2011 Minnesota
2012 - 2013 Minnesota

Mbakwe was suspended, not redshirted. Did he and Royce White get to practice with the team? But being suspended for a crime he wasn't convicted of might be considered "beyond the student's control," unlike a transfer redshirt year. He also only played in 11 games at Marquette, so who knows if that factored into the decision to give him a sixth year.

Mbwake

2007 - 2008 Marquette
2008 - 2009 Miami-Date
2010 - 2011 Minnesota
2012 - 2013 Minnesota

The NCAA requirements to get a sixth year of eligibility are that there are two seasons where the player played less than 30% of their team's games due to injury or financial hardship. The injury also has to have happened after the first day of school, but before the first game of the second half of the season.

Mbakwe
2007-2008 Marquette -- Played in 11 of 35 games or 31%
2011-2012 Minnesota -- Played in 7 of 38 games or 18%

Fitzgerald
2013-2014 Texas A&M -- Played in 24 of 34 games or 71%
2014-2015 Texas A&M -- Played in 25 of 33 games or 76%
2016-2017 Minnesota -- Played on 0 of 34 games or 0%

Mbakwe's 31% in 2007-2008 is so close to the 30% threshold that I can see how the NCAA would make a rare exception for him and count both of those years even though the first isn't quite below the 30% requirement. If they wanted to justify it by getting fancy with the math they could say that over those two seasons he only played in 18 of 73 possible games which is 25% and obviously below the 30% threshold. I'm not saying that is what they did, I'm just saying someone could use that math to justify making an exception for him.

Davonte wasn't remotely close to 30% in either of his years at A&M, and still can't get under 30% even if you get fancy with the math and try combining years. It's too bad for him that his college career went this way, but he's not going to have much of a chance if he applies for a sixth year.

Some similarities from over a decade ago, but maybe the rules have changed or the individual circumstances are different.

Adam Boone

1. UNC 2000-2001 32 games
2. UNC 2001-2002 28 games
3. UMN 2002-2003 redshirt year - transfer sit out rule
4. UMN 2003-2004 30 games
5. UMN 2004-2005 injury -- Final year of NCAA 5-year clock
6. UMN 2005-2006 31 games (NCAA approved 6th year upon appeal from UMN)

Davonte Fitzgerald

1. TAM 2013-2014 24 games
2. TAM 2014-2015 25 games
3. UMN 2015-2016 redshirt year - transfer sit out rule
4. UMN 2016-2017 injury
5. UMN 2017-2018 Final year of NCAA 5-year clock.
6. ??? 2018-2019 ???

Fitzgerald's argument for a sixth year, if they make it, probably will relate to his health during year 3 (his first sit-out year here). His ACL tear occurred in his 1st year and he played most of his second year, but reports are he was never fully healthy. When he first came here Pitino said he needed to sit the year out anyway to get completely healthy. So we may be able to argue there was some re-occurrence of injury that caused him to not be healthy enough to play year 3 anyway (regardless of where he went to school).

That may not automatically satisfy the NCAA's rules for a sixth year but seems like a reasonable basis for a waiver/exception, as Mbakwe and others have occasionally gotten.

Surprised we haven't heard more rumors. The transfer market really heats up once the season ends

Memphis guard Markel Crawford is graduating and transferring out of Memphis. Tough blow for Tubby who's now seen his top 3 scorers transfer out of the program. Memphis is going to be really, really bad next year.

Gophers Add Transfer Center Matz Stockman

Head coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of forward/center Matz (pronounced MOTTS) Stockman, who will transfer to the Minnesota men’s basketball program.

Stockman, a native of Oslo, Norway who spent three seasons at the University of Louisville, will sit out the 2017-18 season before taking the court with one year of eligibility for the Gophers.

“I am very excited about the addition of Matz Stockman,” said Pitino. “I believe Matz will come in and contribute immediately. He’s got the size and skill to make an impact in the Big Ten. He will be a terrific addition on the court, in the locker room, on campus and in the classroom.”

In his three seasons with the Cardinals, the 7-foot, 240-pound Stockman appeared in 45 games in a reserve role. He connected on 56.5 percent of his field goal attempts (39-69) while scoring 97 points (2.2 ppg). Stockman also grabbed 71 rebounds (1.6 rpg), blocked 14 shots and recorded eight assists and five steals. Stockman averaged 5.3 minutes per game during his time in Louisville.

Several of his career-high performances came this past season, including a 10-point outing against Grand Canyon (Dec. 3) in which he was a perfect 3-for-3 from the field and 4-of-5 from the free throw line.

Stockman is a graduate of the Canarias Basketball Academy in the Canary Islands.

Clifton Moore re-commits to Indiana

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom