All things 2017 EXTRA Scholarship

I really wish Gaston was good enough to transfer somewhere. I bet if we had two scholarships we could flip Mckinley and John. Or Sims and Mckinley

All three have signed letters of intent. Wright could probably get let out of his with the coaching change, but do we really want three 6'1" guards in the same class?

Get a big guy transfer - even if he sits out a year we will have a system ready big guy when lynch and konate go. With Washington and Harris coming in to take Springs minutes and Fitzgerald giving us depth at wing I think we are sitting pretty well off.

This guy is transferring from Uconn. Steven Enoch, a 6-10, 245 pound big. He'd have to sit out a year and then would have two years to play. He just followed our new football commit Logan Richter on twitter and Kimani Young and Matt Jessen Howard also follow him, whatever thats worth.

http://247sports.com/Player/Steve-Enoch-68693

Edit: didn't see someone posted this in the other thread.

Odd that he would follow Richter.

I like the idea of bringing this guy in though. He is listed as a PF but watching some of his highlights from high school he seems more of a low post big guy, at least compared to Curry. So in 2018, he'd be a junior and I could see him starting at center along with Murphy (senior) at PF. Then bring Curry (junior) and Oturu (freshman) off the bench. That is a pretty appealing front court rotation, plus maybe in the 2018 class we add someone like Race Thompson or another combo forward that could further solidify the front court depth.

Yeah, yeah, guards "win championships" until they run into a team with a very talented and deep frontcourt like the Florida team that won back-to-back championships last decade. This year's UNC team also starts only one true guard right now but good luck getting a rebound away from their front court.

Oregon's lead guard has been good in recent games but their two biggest stars are forwards.

Sorry to bring this up,

Lets not forget that those florida teams had 3 guards who played some time in the NBA. Corey Brewer, Taurean Green(only a few seasons in a backup role) and Anthony Roberson(a few seasons in a back up role). It's not like their backcourt was a slouch.

MN next year could have up to 2.5 guards who could spend at least some time in the NBA (Coffey, Washington and maybe one of Mason/McBrayer/???)

As such I'll take the best player available and go from there. MN cannot(yet) turn down talent because of fit. The best coaches will coach to their team as opposed to coaching their team to their style.

This is a 6 man team right now

Mason (Point Guard)
Mcbrayer (Shooting Guard)
Coffey (Small Forward)
Murphy, Curry (Power Forward/Center)
Lynch (Center)

So the one and only sub we have is Curry and that barely covers us for bigs given their potential for foul trouble. Konate can spell someone and improved a ton from the previous year. Maybe he can do it again and be a less cringe worthy sub next year. Hurt I don't think is a year away, he may never be a significant sub. We have two recruits that help give us depth at the guards if you can 100% expect freshman to walk on the floor and be effective, but that seems risky. Biggest hole I see on this team is ball handling against pressure. Mason is the one and only guy on the roster right now who can dribble the ball with more than one defender's attention on him and come out okay more often than not. We HAVE to have one more guy that can handle the press and double teams while moving the ball. Hopefully that is one of our recruits, but I wouldn't mind having one more guy that was a great ball handler because I'm a lot more comfortable with three of those on the team than having only 1 experienced and 1 freshman.

Sorry to bring this up,

Lets not forget that those florida teams had 3 guards who played some time in the NBA. Corey Brewer, Taurean Green(only a few seasons in a backup role) and Anthony Roberson(a few seasons in a back up role). It's not like their backcourt was a slouch.

MN next year could have up to 2.5 guards who could spend at least some time in the NBA (Coffey, Washington and maybe one of Mason/McBrayer/???)

As such I'll take the best player available and go from there. MN cannot(yet) turn down talent because of fit. The best coaches will coach to their team as opposed to coaching their team to their style.

Neither Mason nor McBrayer are sniffing the NBA. It's too early to know on Washington, but you have to be an absurd athlete to play in the NBA at his size and I don't know if he is that.

Neither Mason nor McBrayer are sniffing the NBA. It's too early to know on Washington, but you have to be an absurd athlete to play in the NBA at his size and I don't know if he is that.

Yeah It is a bit of homerism of me to say that. I was thinking Coffey has the height to make a 2nd round pick with a good season or 2 and potentially Washington based on the hype. Actually someone who could be a sneaky pick depending on athleticism is Harris, shooters can always find their way to the NBA if they are good enough, see Bryn Forbes(who is 2 inches taller).

I'm not making a claim that they will stick for more than 1 season just that they could play 1 partial season on an NBA team.

Yeah It is a bit of homerism of me to say that. I was thinking Coffey has the height to make a 2nd round pick with a good season or 2 and potentially Washington based on the hype. Actually someone who could be a sneaky pick depending on athleticism is Harris, shooters can always find their way to the NBA if they are good enough, see Bryn Forbes(who is 2 inches taller).

I'm not making a claim that they will stick for more than 1 season just that they could play 1 partial season on an NBA team.

I agree on Mason, he will get invited to some summer league teams, but he will have a nice career overseas. McBreyer is a wildcard, he has the frame if he can fill out and improve as a ball handler he could have a shot, not a great shot, but more of a shot than Mason

Coffey will play in the NBA. He is the only guard currently on the roster or committed to the Gophers who will.

This guy is transferring from Uconn. Steven Enoch, a 6-10, 245 pound big. He'd have to sit out a year and then would have two years to play. He just followed our new football commit Logan Richter on twitter and Kimani Young and Matt Jessen Howard also follow him, whatever thats worth.

http://247sports.com/Player/Steve-Enoch-68693

Edit: didn't see someone posted this in the other thread.

Good find, thanks for posting. Seems like he would be a great fit to help replace Reggie in the front court rotation so we don't have to rely on Oturu being ready to go right away as a freshman.

Hey I see this is the 'let me make definitive statements about who will and won't play in the NBA even though I'm wildly unqualified to do so' part of the thread.

Does it really bother you when people give their opinions on who they think will play in the NBA?

Do I need to put "IMO" to make it better, even though everyone is expressing their opinions so that is redundant?

Hey I see this is the 'let me make definitive statements about who will and won't play in the NBA even though I'm wildly unqualified to do so' part of the thread.

Does it really bother you when people give their opinions on who they think will play in the NBA?

Do I need to put "IMO" to make it better, even though everyone is expressing their opinions so that is redundant?

What does this even mean? Fitzgerald, Washington and Harris aren't going to be part of the team?

6 healthy returning players. Fitzgerald is coming off injury, Washington and Harris are freshman with high expectations to contribute. Was laying out where our potential needs are based on returning players IMO.

Sorry to bring this up,

Roberson wasn't on the Florida title teams. They started Green, Humphrey and Brewer. But Brewer was a 6'9 wing player, certainly not a guard

6 healthy returning players. Fitzgerald is coming off injury, Washington and Harris are freshman with high expectations to contribute. Was laying out where our potential needs are based on returning players IMO.

So Bakary and Hurt don't count? How many teams in the country have more than 6 returning players who you deem worthy of counting as part of the team? IE; non-Freshman, no injuries, and a good part of the rotation

doesn't bother me at all, just funny when everyone does it

So Bakary and Hurt don't count? How many teams in the country have more than 6 returning players who you deem worthy of counting as part of the team? IE; non-Freshman, no injuries, and a good part of the rotation

This is a good point

Roberson wasn't on the Florida title teams. They started Green, Humphrey and Brewer. But Brewer was a 6'9 wing player, certainly not a guard

Sorry I mixed up the first year they won it.

How quickly do these decisions get made? I don't remember when we got Springs last year.

How quickly do these decisions get made? I don't remember when we got Springs last year.

Springs came in real late. We need a center to back up Reggie more than anything.

I agree on Mason, he will get invited to some summer league teams, but he will have a nice career overseas. McBreyer is a wildcard, he has the frame if he can fill out and improve as a ball handler he could have a shot, not a great shot, but more of a shot than Mason

Yes, I agree: waaay to early to make the judgment on Dupree. He has the size and athleticism, and he's on a steep improvement curve with his jump shot.

In my dream world, we really need two transfer players: one a grad transfer seasoned scorer that can play next season (could be a guard or forward), and two a "regular" transfer center that can start and share time with Oturu the following year. Of course, we need another scholarship spot to open up for this to be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a star tribune story on Springs' "commitment" from April 15th of last year. But I don't think Andrew White declared 100% that he was playing for Syracuse until August. Buggs didn't transfer until late either. I'd think we'll hear something in the next few weeks.

I think it is funny that anyone says definitely any of our players will not sniff the NBA, or they absolutely will. There are a number who have a very good chance, and will need to continue to improve to realize that. There are players very similar to Mason who have spent time in the NBA. Of course, he has to improve his shot, but he might spend some time there. Coffey will as long as he continues to get stronger and improve, McBrayer has a shot with improvement... you never know.

Also, why do people so often seem to think the players coming in will be better than those who are here? For example, it is funny to see people listing Curry as a back up through his entire career, when Pitino and many other respected people in basketball consistently speak to his extremely high upside, including talking about him potentially being an All-Big Ten player in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a star tribune story on Springs' "commitment" from April 15th of last year. But I don't think Andrew White declared 100% that he was playing for Syracuse until August. Buggs didn't transfer until late either. I'd think we'll hear something in the next few weeks.

I think we had the opening for Springs even before Buggs declared grad transfer, so it's not like we accepted a commitment anticipating a future transfer. In the apples to apples, I think it was Haugh who got Buggs scholarship. Player movement is much more fluid now than it was in the old days, but with an official opening, we have something to offer. I agree that it is likely some type of offer/commitment comes sooner than later.

I think we had the opening for Springs even before Buggs declared grad transfer, so it's not like we accepted a commitment anticipating a future transfer. In the apples to apples, I think it was Haugh who got Buggs scholarship. Player movement is much more fluid now than it was in the old days, but with an official opening, we have something to offer. I agree that it is likely some type of offer/commitment comes sooner than later.

Ya Springs wound up with Dorsey's spot, Buggs had every right to grad transfer, but I wish he had done it earlier, cost us an opportunity to add another piece, like that Jordy Tshimanga kid, could have him backing up Lynch and as someone that could push Oturu for minutes

Yes, I agree: waaay to early to make the judgment on Dupree. He has the size and athleticism, and he's on a steep improvement curve with his jump shot.

Dupree reminds me a lot of Charles Thomas. Thomas was a better shooter and McBrayer is more athletic but there is just something to their overall games that I find very comparable. As for a possible transfer, you can make a great argument for another guard OR another big guy. Guards control the game for the most part but our roster will be quite devoid of big guys after next year. After Pitino leaves for Georgetown, I'm sure Billy Donovan will have no problem filling out the class. :)

Top Bottom