All things 2017 EXTRA Scholarship

From watching the Middle Tennessee game, Dupree and Coffey were the only way we could generate any offense at all. Both did a good jump of dribble penetrating the zone to create offense. Aside from them, the play against the zone was embarrassing.

From watching the Middle Tennessee game, Dupree and Coffey were the only way we could generate any offense at all. Both did a good jump of dribble penetrating the zone to create offense. Aside from them, the play against the zone was embarrassing.
We missed like 10-12 wide open shots against the zone in the first half. The looks were there.

Ya Springs wound up with Dorsey's spot, Buggs had every right to grad transfer, but I wish he had done it earlier, cost us an opportunity to add another piece, like that Jordy Tshimanga kid, could have him backing up Lynch and as someone that could push Oturu for minutes

Correct about Springs.

Haugh took the Buggs scholarship.

We missed like 10-12 wide open shots against the zone in the first half. The looks were there.

Exactly. And we crushed zones all year. We just started missing wide open shots and things snowballed.

That's nonsense. The reality is that the future is now and each team can expect one or two transfers each year. "Balance" is for gymnasts. Do you think Calipari, Coach K, or Bill Self ever worry about "balancing" their scholarships between classes?

I think having a ton of scholarships in one year is a really dangerous path to go down at a place like Minnesota. We aren't getting one and dones so when we get a guy it's usually for four years. Sure, transfers happen, but in all likelihood when you have six open scholarships you are going to end up giving the last couple to guys like BK and Gas. It puts a ton of pressure on one class. Balance is important. Its less of an issue for the big dogs like K or Self, because they have one and dones and also can just have a guy ride the bench (and probably transfer. See: Jeter, Chase) because they know they can just reload with more studs.

My preferences, in order:

1. A graduate transfer guard with ball handling or shooting ability (or both!). I hope Washington/Harris can replace Springs, but that is a lot to ask and if we sustain any injuries to Mason/Coffey/McBrayer we would be in serious trouble.
2. A transfer big man who would redshirt, then have a couple years of eligibility. Big men are the one position I like to consistently redshirt so they can bulk up and grow into their bodies more. I think it benefited Reggie Lynch. Steven Enoch is one intriguing possibility that has been mentioned.
3. A graduate transfer big man to back up Lynch/Curry/Murphy so Konate is not needed.

I think we are going to have a hard time finding a serviceable big man graduate transfer, thus why it is #3. How many guys are going to want to come here to be a backup? I think we have a more compelling story for PT when Lynch graduates or because of the graduation of Springs (also a success story).

My preferences, in order:

1. A graduate transfer guard with ball handling or shooting ability (or both!). I hope Washington/Harris can replace Springs, but that is a lot to ask and if we sustain any injuries to Mason/Coffey/McBrayer we would be in serious trouble.
2. A transfer big man who would redshirt, then have a couple years of eligibility. Big men are the one position I like to consistently redshirt so they can bulk up and grow into their bodies more. I think it benefited Reggie Lynch. Steven Enoch is one intriguing possibility that has been mentioned.
3. A graduate transfer big man to back up Lynch/Curry/Murphy so Konate is not needed.

I think we are going to have a hard time finding a serviceable big man graduate transfer, thus why it is #3. How many guys are going to want to come here to be a backup? I think we have a more compelling story for PT when Lynch graduates or because of the graduation of Springs (also a success story).

I would go to Tre and tell him he gets two scholarships. One for him and one for whomever he wants to bring with him!

It is being suggested on the premium board (pay site) that the Gophers staff has reached out to McKinley Wright's coaches about his interest in joining the team next year. Do you guys believe that? Would that be a good use of our open scholarship? Some say you can't have enough good guards, but three in one class, and only guards? Perhaps if he redshirted? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. We will need another point to backup Washington after next year, so maybe not a horrible idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is being suggested on the premium board (pay site) that the Gophers staff has reached out to McKinley Wright's coaches about his interest in joining the team next year. Do you guys believe that? Would that be a good use of our open scholarship? Some say you can't have enough good guards, but three in one class, and only guards? Perhaps if he redshirted? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. We will need another point to backup Washington after next year, so maybe not a horrible idea.

Wouldn't be the worst use of the scholarship. I question his ceiling in a high major conference, but if he could develop into an Al Nolen type player that would be a success.

I don't think McKinley is very likely. It's more likely to happen now than that Ostrom wasn't named as HC to replace Archie. But I still don't think there is a high likelihood of McKinley picking the U. He's been pretty consistent that he wants to go somewhere he can get minutes early in his career. We don't have many guard minutes to give him. And like you said, he'd be the third guard in the class.

I think the reaching out to McKinley is more just a courtesy than anything else but we will see. Not a real great fit for either side right now and he will have plenty of other options where he can get more PT right away.

I think the reaching out to McKinley is more just a courtesy than anything else but we will see. Not a real great fit for either side right now and he will have plenty of other options where he can get more PT right away.

I wonder how Pitino would try handle that. I feel like he'd love to decrease Nate's minutes some if he had a valid backup to use.

I wonder how Pitino would try handle that. I feel like he'd love to decrease Nate's minutes some if he had a valid backup to use.
He will be able to do that this season with Isaiah Washington, McKinley would be your 3rd PG behind him next year.

He will be able to do that this season with Isaiah Washington, McKinley would be your 3rd PG behind him next year.

I'm meaning as in you have extra ball handlers, can play him off the ball more, can rest him for longer stretches when games are more back to back. Just trying to envision that because it looked like Mason (and Coffey) were out of gas several times last year

That is a terrible use of our newly opened scholarship. Much bigger needs

Hard to believe any high major player goes into a situation knowing he would likely be a back up for four years. I feel bad for McKinley, but I also think there will be plenty of options for him if he decides Dayton is no longer for him. Tough place to be in early April, though.

Pardon my ignorance and my lack of Googling skills - I have been dealing with multiple family emergencies the last few weeks - but how do we have an extra scholarship?

I thought Washington and Harris were all we were able to take - did something happen that I missed?

Again, please don't rip me for not knowing - it's been a bad few weeks.

Pardon my ignorance and my lack of Googling skills - I have been dealing with multiple family emergencies the last few weeks - but how do we have an extra scholarship?

I thought Washington and Harris were all we were able to take - did something happen that I missed?

Gilbert is transferring.

That is a terrible use of our newly opened scholarship. Much bigger needs

I think it depends on whether or not Pitino believes that Harris can contribute defensively next year, if not then McKinley is an option, McKinley is quick enough and physical enough to play in the Big Ten next year, just not a great shooter.

I hope things turn around for you, Philly...life can be cruel and scary at times.

I think it depends on whether or not Pitino believes that Harris can contribute defensively next year, if not then McKinley is an option, McKinley is quick enough and physical enough to play in the Big Ten next year, just not a great shooter.

I haven't read a ton about his skills. I'm at the point where I don't want us signing a guard that is "just not a great shooter". Good shooter" needs to be one of the check boxes going forward in our guard recruiting-even for point guards. It just limits you too much offensively when your point guard is not a threat to shoot the deep ball.

I hope things turn around for you, Philly...life can be cruel and scary at times.

Thanks for the thoughts, friend. We're on the upswing so I have time to check in now. It is sometimes cruel and scary, but so much better than the alternative!

McKinley should't be considered, I'm sorry to the local kid but we need a grad transfer SG or a big of some sort. A freshman PG that is limited with offensive skill is not a smart use of the scholarship.

Thanks for the thoughts, friend. We're on the upswing so I have time to check in now. It is sometimes cruel and scary, but so much better than the alternative!

Amen, brother!

McKinley should't be considered, I'm sorry to the local kid but we need a grad transfer SG or a big of some sort. A freshman PG that is limited with offensive skill is not a smart use of the scholarship.
I hate to say it, because I really want those top local kids attending the U, but you are correct, I'd much prefer another big body for that spot.

I hate to say it, because I really want those top local kids attending the U, but you are correct, I'd much prefer another big body for that spot.

It's what we need the most.

Cam Johnson from Pitt just opted to transfer over the weekend. I honestly don't think there is a better transfer fit in the country than what he could bring. He's immediately eligible and has two years of eligibility remaining. He's a wing player who shot 42% from 3 and averaged 12 ppg playing against ACC competition. If Dupree would be okay with coming off the bench for the rest of his career, Johnson could slide right into the starting rotation, and we'd be even better than what we were with Springs.

IMO we do not need a grad transfer....we already have a huge senior class which will be harder to fill than a class of three would be if we had balanced classes. So working towards balancing them will help. It's hard to get 5 awesome players in a year...one or two much easier. We have Konate and Lynch both graduating. All this year we were short a big presence when Lynch often and Murphy sometimes got in foul trouble. We were great this year. We lose Springs but we gain three bodies to replace...Fitzgerald, Washington and Harris. All our players are going to have one more year of experience than last year. Our problem last year was depth not talent. My guess is these three guys will more than make up for the loss of Springs and give us some of the depth we were missing...we will improve relative to our opponents because we have so many returning starters. We need, if we can get, a big. After this next year, we are so thin there...and unfortunately there are fewer bigs to select from and they take longer to develop. If we don't think about future years, we will really hurt ourselves in the 2018-19. Personally, I think we are going to be much better next year no matter who fills Gilbert's scholarship.

Top Bottom