Gilbert transferring

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here's the press release from the U of MN:

Gilbert to Transfer from Men’s Basketball Program

Sophomore guard Ahmad Gilbert, Jr., will transfer from the University of Minnesota and continue his collegiate career at a different school, head coach Richard Pitino announced Tuesday.

“Ahmad has been a consummate teammate throughout his time here, and a big part of our team’s success,” said Pitino. “His energy and spirit both on and off the court have been extremely valuable to me and our team. I am sure he will achieve great things as he continues his career.”

Gilbert will have two years of on-court eligibility remaining upon his transfer.

A native of Philadelphia, Gilbert spent two seasons in the Maroon and Gold, appearing in 36 games with six starts. He totaled 96 points (2.7 ppg), 54 rebounds (1.5 rpg), 19 assists, 15 steals and five blocks while averaging 10.3 minutes per contest in his Gopher career.

Hate to see a good teammate head elsewhere, but best of luck to him!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's the press release from the U of MN:

Gilbert to Transfer from Men’s Basketball Program

Sophomore guard Ahmad Gilbert, Jr., will transfer from the University of Minnesota and continue his collegiate career at a different school, head coach Richard Pitino announced Tuesday.

“Ahmad has been a consummate teammate throughout his time here, and a big part of our team’s success,” said Pitino. “His energy and spirit both on and off the court have been extremely valuable to me and our team. I am sure he will achieve great things as he continues his career.”

Gilbert will have two years of on-court eligibility remaining upon his transfer.

A native of Philadelphia, Gilbert spent two seasons in the Maroon and Gold, appearing in 36 games with six starts. He totaled 96 points (2.7 ppg), 54 rebounds (1.5 rpg), 19 assists, 15 steals and five blocks while averaging 10.3 minutes per contest in his Gopher career.

Yep, just saw that on Verbal Commits as well. He'll find a place. Good luck to him.

Now an unfettered debate about the optimal replacement can begin!

(still waiting to hear something about Gaston though).

Not shocking in today's age of college basketball, but you still hate to see good kids and teammates leave the program, hopefully Gilbert will get to play somewhere. I would like us to either bring in a guy capable of playing five that will be here multiple years that can bridge the gap between Lynch and Oturu, even if they had to sit out a year via transfer, if Shaka leaves Texas may be Sims will want to come home

Not shocking in today's age of college basketball, but you still hate to see good kids and teammates leave the program, hopefully Gilbert will get to play somewhere. I would like us to either bring in a guy capable of playing five that will be here multiple years that can bridge the gap between Lynch and Oturu, even if they had to sit out a year via transfer, if Shaka leaves Texas may be Sims will want to come home

Clifton Moore would be that guy.

I would like us to either bring in a guy capable of playing five that will be here multiple years that can bridge the gap between Lynch and Oturu, even if they had to sit out a year via transfer,

Well, here's a consideration: Jonathan Nwankwo who committed here once already. He redshirted his freshman year at VCU and played last year at the college of Southern Idaho (JUCO) so he should have three years of eligibility left.

This was known/decided ever since the Nebraska game where Gilbert apparently refused to enter the game. He's been upset with his lack of playing time for a while I guess. Not all that surprising.

Best wishes to Ahmad. Hopefully he finds a great fit and has a wonderful college experience.

This was known/decided ever since the Nebraska game where Gilbert apparently refused to enter the game. He's been upset with his lack of playing time for a while I guess. Not all that surprising.

Refused to enter the game? Very odd. You did call it from the beginning.

I always liked the guy. He worked hard but was set back by that injury his freshman year. Struggled on defense this year.

I hope he finds a place that he fits their system and succeeds.

As for replacement, whoever it is needs to be able to play right away. A lot of grad transfers out there at shooting guard and in the middle. Also a handful of players who are in coaching changes that could help. Sorry, no shot that Shaka is leaving Texas. Jericho is heading south.

Yep, just saw that on Verbal Commits as well. He'll find a place. Good luck to him.

Now an unfettered debate about the optimal replacement can begin!

(still waiting to hear something about Gaston though).

I don't anticipate that at all. Unlike a lot of our U.S. kids, Gaston is using basketball to get an education, not getting an education so he can play basketball. I can't see him leaving.

I wish Ahmad all the best! I think we need to go after a PF or C to fill in for Lynch and before Oturu (maybe Chase Jeter?). I think his transfer most benefits Hurt, (he moves up a spot in depth chart to maybe to 9 or 10), but overall not a huge loss production wise.

I remember that being odd. And he never played after that, even with the injury. I thought Pitino might be making extra sure he'd transfer.

I remember that being odd. And he never played after that, even with the injury. I thought Pitino might be making extra sure he'd transfer.

That's what Reusse surmised. If he "refused" to play, that's insubordination and I have no sympathy for him. If he wants out for a better opportunity, more power to him. Hopefully, we don't burn our bridges in Philly over this. There's a lot of good ball players there.

That's what Reusse surmised. If he "refused" to play, that's insubordination and I have no sympathy for him. If he wants out for a better opportunity, more power to him. Hopefully, we don't burn our bridges in Philly over this. There's a lot of good ball players there.

+1

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

He started 6 games. He had plenty of court time last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space now open for McKinley Wright

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Madtown is the information that Ahmad refused to enter the Nebraska game coming from a legitimate source? I have a hard time believing he was insubordinate in that way and then still allowed to be on the team the rest of the year. Pitino has a history of removing guys from the roster in situations similar to that (Carlos Morris, Zach Lofton, possibly Wally Ellenson though I don't know his situation for certain).

Madtown is the information that Ahmad refused to enter the Nebraska game coming from a legitimate source? I have a hard time believing he was insubordinate in that way and then still allowed to be on the team the rest of the year. Pitino has a history of removing guys from the roster in situations similar to that (Carlos Morris, Zach Lofton, possibly Wally Ellenson though I don't know his situation for certain).

Yes.

Space now open for McKinley Wright

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I doubt McKinley wants to come here. He'd be behind Mason and Washington on the depth chart. He'll have a better shot for playing time at Indiana.

Good luck to Ahmad. Represented himself and the U well. He should find plenty of PT elsewhere.

There is about a 1% chance his scholly goes to Chase Jeter and maybe a 5% chance it goes to Wright. No idea if Pitino is thinking of a transfer or someone from the Class of 17, but I wouldn't pay much attention to those two. Wright is a much better bet to stick with Dayton or follow Archie to Indiana. Jeter is headed to the west. And I don't know if a grad transfer to fill it makes much sense since that would be a ton of scholarships coming open all in the same year. I would think most coaches would prefer not to have 6 scholarships going to one class.

There is about a 1% chance his scholly goes to Chase Jeter and maybe a 5% chance it goes to Wright. No idea if Pitino is thinking of a transfer or someone from the Class of 17, but I wouldn't pay much attention to those two. Wright is a much better bet to stick with Dayton or follow Archie to Indiana. Jeter is headed to the west. And I don't know if a grad transfer to fill it makes much sense since that would be a ton of scholarships coming open all in the same year. I would think most coaches would prefer not to have 6 scholarships going to one class.

Jeter to UNLV

Washington is better than Wright, please get over it.

As for what to do with the scholly, I'd like to see a true transfer with multiple years remaining. We don't need a big next year so sitting a year is not a big deal. Whoever it may be would get a year of development and practice with the team and be ready for Lynch's departure.

Top Bottom