P J Fleck- Frank Martin/ Brothers from Different Mothers

GopherPD

Reaction score
Heard South Carolina Basketball Coach Frank Martin on the radio yesterday and he was asked about his team's mantra "Hold the Rope". He went on to describe a tug of war in which everyone involved has to hold the rope and if one person on the team lets go the team loses. I haven't figured out whether it is more important to hold the rope or row the boat, but since South Carolina is in the Final Four I am pretty sure they are Elite.

Whatever happened to people being internally motivated to do their best without a catchy slogan?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Whatever happened to people being internally motivated to do their best without a catchy slogan?

Different strokes for different folks.

Doesn't look good on Instagram.

You should take a course on Human Behavior. There is a great university in the twin cities that provide high quality coursework.

Edit: Oh wait you would have to be internally motivated to learn instead of having other people tell you the answers. Carry ON.

Given they are GameCOCKS, I heard Martin's first choice was Choke the Chicken.

GopherPD you think too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

You should take a course on Human Behavior. There is a great university in the twin cities that provide high quality coursework.

Edit: Oh wait you would have to be internally motivated to learn instead of having other people tell you the answers. Carry ON.

The irony of these type of posts should not be overlooked.

It's all about merchandising . I haven't seen them yet, but I bet " Row the Boat " T-shirts​, golf shirts, etc . will hit a variety of stores shortly. You can do a lot of different logos with that phrase.

It's all about merchandising . I haven't seen them yet, but I bet " Row the Boat " T-shirts​, golf shirts, etc . will hit a variety of stores shortly. You can do a lot of different logos with that phrase.

#RowsBowl

YEAH!!!! Right? To hell with these cheesy motivational slogans. For instance that corny one: "The only thing we have to fear is....fear itself." Or that other dumb one...."Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." And of course football coaches are full of crap like win it for Ronnie Reagan.

I have a dream? Drivel. Why did all those disenfranchised people need someone to motivate them? And that Gandhi character. He should have told the Indians they are on their own and to motivate themselves. .

YEAH!!!! Right? To hell with these cheesy motivational slogans. For instance that corny one: "The only thing we have to fear is....fear itself." Or that other dumb one...."Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." And of course football coaches are full of crap like win it for Ronnie Reagan.

I have a dream? Drivel. Why did all those disenfranchised people need someone to motivate them? And that Gandhi character. He should have told the Indians they are on their own and to motivate themselves. .

So you are comparing PJF to JFK, MLK, and Gandhi?

I never thought of those as slogans.

You'd have to go back centuries, I'm guessing (in terms of cultural groups) or decades for football teams.

Used by many coaches, catchy slogans / mantras are often used to "Frame The Season" so to speak. More for having a shared vision for that season, or in Fleck's case, for the duration of his time spent in the coaching profession. It's mainly used as an additional way to rally people around a shared "culture".

Athletes are both intrinsically and extrinsically motivated. "Framing The Season" has positive effects on the development of intrinsic motivation. ie. improving skill set, increased self-efficacy, etc.

Patriots' Mantra is "Do Your Job"
Saban has many "Get Your Mind Right", "Finish", "The Process"

I've always believed not letting your teammates, friends, coworkers, family down ought to be enough and copious motivation to show up, work hard, and do a job right. IMO PJ doesn't need all this lingo he just needs to be himself. Someone like Jon Gruden is also an energetic young guy but connects a different way. Humor, ribbing. He has his own Schtick that's a little less serious. Spider 2 or 3 Y Banana is classic stuff. Who doesn't want to play for this guy?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a20YDM8xb3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You must be new to this planet. Every product and political campaign has pretty much been wrapped up in what someone hopes is a 'catchy slogan' all the way up to Ski u Mah and Brick By Brick.

You must be new to this planet. Every product and political campaign has pretty much been wrapped up in what someone hopes is a 'catchy slogan' all the way up to Ski u Mah and Brick By Brick.

Folks - it was a rhetorical question. More of a commentary than an actual question. I get all the reasons.

I've always believed not letting your teammates, friends, coworkers, family down ought to be enough and copious motivation to show up, work hard, and do a job right. IMO PJ doesn't need all this lingo he just needs to be himself. Someone like Jon Gruden is also an energetic young guy but connects a different way. Humor, ribbing. He has his own Schtick that's a little less serious. Spider 2 or 3 Y Banana is classic stuff. Who doesn't want to play for this guy?

I'm with you in that I think PJ just needs to be PJ and players will be motivated. Take Herb Brooks - I don't think he ever had a catchy slogan (at least that I have ever heard of) but he certainly had a clear vision in his head and his players knew it.

Top Bottom