Extensive Q&A: Tre Jones Talks Another State Title, Recruiting, Gophers and More

Tyus is going to make roughly, the following.

Year 1-$1.1 mil
Year 2-$1.15 mil
Year 3-$1.2 mil
Year 4 (if contract is picked up)-$2.1 mil
Year 5 (if contract is picked up)-$3.1 mil

Quick math tells me that he will $8.65 mil in 5 years. So yes, he would do it all again if he could. Ask Grayson Allen. Or Nigel Hayes.

I think there are a lot more factors than you have listed. But If money was the sole factor, I'm still not sure he made the right one despite your math. Nigel Hayes? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won a natty and is making over a million per year. His stock was never going to be higher. He made the right choice.

And he's not getting playing time. Would he develop more being the man in college than playing 5-10 minutes for an also ran? Short term you're right. Long term? A million a year is peanuts compared to a veteran starter. It wasn't a bad choice. I'd just be curious if he'd make a different one now. He might. Might not.

And he's not getting playing time. Would he develop more being the man in college than playing 5-10 minutes for an also ran? Short term you're right. Long term? A million a year is peanuts compared to a veteran starter. It wasn't a bad choice. I'd just be curious if he'd make a different one now. He might. Might not.

His size and athleticism is what limits his NBA potential. More playing time in college doesn't change that.

The problem with recruiting Jones and trying to sell him on the "program is on the rise" bit is that we've got this last season's worth of evidence. He's going to make his choice in October/November before the season starts, thus rendering whatever happens next year essentially moot in his recruitment. It doesn't feel like enough time when teams like UCLA, Baylor, Duke and Oregon knock on the door.

Would absolutely love Tre here and a starting 5 of Tre-Dupree-Coffey-Murph-Curry with Washington as a super 6th man is an exciting one in 2018-19 but it just feels a little too homerish to think that's realistic. I know we can always do the "why not us" but the kid can go anywhere. There's a lot of reasons to go to Oregon/Duke/UCLA instead of MN.

Boy he'd be nice though. Kid is a stud. 5 star talent but he's also a grinder. Love that about him.

His size and athleticism is what limits his NBA potential. More playing time in college doesn't change that.

So you're arguing he's as good as he can be at 20. I don't know, but if true then he made the right choice.

I doubt he regrets getting paid millions of dollars and being set for life

He's probably different, but the number of pro athletes who were set for life and went broke is staggering.
3 million in salary is not set for life.

He's probably different, but the number of pro athletes who were set for life and went broke is staggering.

Is this a joke?

You honestly think you couldn't survive on 3 million?

Just because a lot of athletes are idiots doesn't mean 3 million isn't enough to be set for life.

Dude we get that you don't think Tyus should have came out. Just because you don't think he should have came out doesn't mean he will blow his money. He is a well rounded PG that averaged 11.8 ppg, 5.6 assists, 3.5 boards, and 1.5 steals. He did this all while shooting 88.9% from the free throw line and shot 41.7% FG and 37.9% from deep while playing with a stacked roster. Duke reloads and will always have talent to score so I'm not really sure what else you think he could have done considering how effective he was as a PG.

Was he really gonna get that much better tearing up college players than practicing with an NBA team, summer league experience, and actual NBA game experience? No

Is this a joke?

You honestly think you couldn't survive on 3 million?

Just because a lot of athletes are idiots doesn't mean 3 million isn't enough to be set for life.

Survive, sure. Set for life? To me that means you don't have to work and can live very comfortably. $1.5 million in the bank is not nearly enough, no.

Dude we get that you don't think Tyus should have came out. Just because you don't think he should have came out doesn't mean he will blow his money. He is a well rounded PG that averaged 11.8 ppg, 5.6 assists, 3.5 boards, and 1.5 steals. He did this all while shooting 88.9% from the free throw line and shot 41.7% FG and 37.9% from deep while playing with a stacked roster. Duke reloads and will always have talent to score so I'm not really sure what else you think he could have done considering how effective he was as a PG.

Was he really gonna get that much better tearing up college players than practicing with an NBA team, summer league experience, and actual NBA game experience? No

I don't have a set opinion, I just posed the question, which I think is an interesting and fair one. I am just surprised at the responses that it's the dumbest question ever and a no brainer. Coming out early as a money grab is a poor long term strategy in my opinion. You should come out when you're ready, and his playing time and stats on a non playoff team would suggest he wasn't. So it's a question of if he's more likely to maximize his talent on the bench and in practice, vs high profile competitive games as "the man". I truly don't know the answer, it's just a question.

No he wouldn't understand why people think players develop more in college. There are no restrictions on practice time or workouts in the NBA. Players only focus is to develop. He would not have done anything but lowered his stock

I don't have a set opinion, I just posed the question, which I think is an interesting and fair one. I am just surprised at the responses that it's the dumbest question ever and a no brainer. Coming out early as a money grab is a poor long term strategy in my opinion. You should come out when you're ready, and his playing time and stats on a non playoff team would suggest he wasn't. So it's a question of if he's more likely to maximize his talent on the bench and in practice, vs high profile competitive games as "the man". I truly don't know the answer, it's just a question.

A counter example would be Melo Trimble, he was projected by some as a lottery pick after his freshman season, he has better measurable's than Tyus, but he wanted to come back and win a title and now his draft stock has completely tanked and he will be a four year player. Blackman at IU came back, got hurt and will never get drafted. Thomas Bryant's stock went down this season, he might leave just so it doesn't fall any further. Tyus struck while the iron was never going to be hotter

I don't understand how you really think that would change that he's not that athletic or being the man makes you better. Tyler Hansbourgh stayed 4 years and where is he now. You go while you can maximize your compensation. Playing in college doesn't guarantee you will be a better NBA player. He's practicing everyday vs better players now than he would if he stayed at Duke. I just don't understand how you believe playing in college games vs subpar competition for at least 25% his games will make him any better than he would be now. He just got guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Staying in college wouldn't change that

Getting back on topic, does anyone know when Tre is planning on making a decision? Just before the fall signing date? Just like it was for the Big 3, it will be nice to know one way or the other so we can move on, or if the miracle happens, celebrate.

Get the feeling Tre will do what Tyus did, mention the Gophers as in the mix as a courtesy, but he knows he's going to Duke.

Getting back on topic, does anyone know when Tre is planning on making a decision? Just before the fall signing date? Just like it was for the Big 3, it will be nice to know one way or the other so we can move on, or if the miracle happens, celebrate.

Thought I read in a different article about Tre that he wasn't going to make a decision until the Spring after his Senior Season. Certainly is talented enough to drag it out that long, The wait would kill me but I think that would help the Gophers that longer it dragged out. Wouldn't be the first nor wll be the last time if I am wrong. I am sure there are people that are way more plugged into recruiting than I am that may know

Thought I read in a different article about Tre that he wasn't going to make a decision until the Spring after his Senior Season. Certainly is talented enough to drag it out that long, The wait would kill me but I think that would help the Gophers that longer it dragged out. Wouldn't be the first nor wll be the last time if I am wrong. I am sure there are people that are way more plugged into recruiting than I am that may know

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if we fill up all our scholarships before he decides then. I definitely don't think Pitino will hold a scholarship through spring just for him if he's got other high-caliber kids willing to sign in the fall. We will have 4-6 open scholarships so maybe one just happens to go unused until the spring signing period.

Get the feeling Tre will do what Tyus did, mention the Gophers as in the mix as a courtesy, but he knows he's going to Duke.

Duke is likely the favorite, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. I personally think we have a much, much better shot with Tre than we did with Tyus. Pitino winning Big Ten Coach of the Year, having a guard friendly system that just produced a First Team All-Big Ten point guard (one that wasn't even nationally ranked coming out of high school), Tre's family all being in Minnesota, and Coach K presumably being close to retirement all give the Gophers a realistic chance.

I think it would hurt the Gophers the longer it drags out. That tells me he's waiting to see who's going pro from the blue bloods.

A counter example would be Melo Trimble, he was projected by some as a lottery pick after his freshman season, he has better measurable's than Tyus, but he wanted to come back and win a title and now his draft stock has completely tanked and he will be a four year player. Blackman at IU came back, got hurt and will never get drafted. Thomas Bryant's stock went down this season, he might leave just so it doesn't fall any further. Tyus struck while the iron was never going to be hotter

I guess I just don't agree with the logic. Is there some reason guys get worse that's some kind of standard rule? Tyus certainly benefited from his tournament performance, so if he's really not that good, it would be akin to Cardale Jones, who should have left after starting 3 consecutive games in which he had incredible performances. I'm just not sure on Tyus. Given that he was pretty high profile back in 8th grade, maybe he really has tapped his potential. I don't know.

I don't understand how you really think that would change that he's not that athletic or being the man makes you better. Tyler Hansbourgh stayed 4 years and where is he now. You go while you can maximize your compensation. Playing in college doesn't guarantee you will be a better NBA player. He's practicing everyday vs better players now than he would if he stayed at Duke. I just don't understand how you believe playing in college games vs subpar competition for at least 25% his games will make him any better than he would be now. He just got guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Staying in college wouldn't change that

I don't think anything is as simple as you are making it out to be. Do you think Kwame Brown would have been a better player if he'd gone to college? I do. Absolutely 100%. Wouldn't that fly in the face of your logic that playing better competition always and everywhere makes you a better player?
But I guess if you think he was better off taking the money, I can't really argue. He made big bucks. A few million is a different calculation. I just don't know, but I guess everyone here has all the answers so I'll bow out.

Can you guys just agree to disagree on the Tyus NBA Draft decision? You are starting to derail this thread. Let's keep it to just Tre and his college decision.

I think it would hurt the Gophers the longer it drags out. That tells me he's waiting to see who's going pro from the blue bloods.

That's an excellent point....I still think he takes the legacy route to Duke but with Tre supposedly being close with Oturu and Race, I think our hat is still in the ring. The idea of both Tre and Isaiah in the same backcourt has me drooling...or it was the glue I sniffed 20 minutes ago.

@GopherPlaya , Hansborough did make $16.7M over 7 years...

I guess I see it the other way, Tre can see who those schools sign in the fall and in the back of his mind knows Minnesota will figure out how to get him on the team regardless. I am sure Duke, Arizona etc have other elite Guards on their list too.

That's an excellent point....I still think he takes the legacy route to Duke but with Tre supposedly being close with Oturu and Race, I think our hat is still in the ring. The idea of both Tre and Isaiah in the same backcourt has me drooling...or it was the glue I sniffed 20 minutes ago.

I've heard from AAU coaches in the state that Tre wants to path his own way and Duke is an option but it's not necessarily a leader and we should worry more about Arizona and UCLA

Believe Tre told Wolfson that he's planning on committing in October - though it might've just been because Wolfson led him down that thought with the question like "when are you committing? October/November right?"

If true...then MN only has what it did this past season as reference for the "we're on the rise" sell job because next year he'd have already been committed somewhere.

Still think it's a long shot with him but even if you have a 5 percent chance, you go all in on him because he can be a game changer.

Top Bottom