Hawkeye Nation Early 2018 Gophers Preview: Return 88% of minutes and points

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hawkeye Nation:

Early 2018 B1G Basketball Preview: Minnesota

The Gophers finished 11-7 in the Big Ten this past year, and had an amazing turnaround from their eight-win 2015-2016 campaign. The Gophers were an athletic shot blocking team and they earned a five-seed in the NCAA tournament.

They were ranked inside the Top 25 in January, but immediately went on a five-game losing streak before turning things around with an eight game Big Ten winning streak. While I haven’t looked it up, I don’t think Iowa has done something like that since finishing 14-0 in Big Ten play in 1970. Consider that along with the fact that Minnesota ranked 301 out of 354 D1 teams in experience (per Ken Pomeroy) and that should have their fans excited.

It was an impressive season for the Gophers, but their best days may come forth in 2017-2018.

Minutes: 88.8%
3FG: 67.9%
OFFReb: 95.5%
DEFReb: 91.6%
Assists: 92.7%
Blocks: 97.4%
Steals: 90.7%
Points/Gm: 66.2

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/basketball/early-2018-b1g-basketball-preview-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

Handling Expectations

#1 thing I'm curious about for 2017-18 is how the Gophers handle expectations. Would imagine they have a good shot at being in the preseason top 25.

Playing with expectations an entirely different animal. I would imagine Pitino will schedule accordingly. Would expect the non-conference schedule will be ramped up to match the season expectations. Needs to be tougher than this past season, and this year was pretty solid.

#1 thing I'm curious about for 2017-18 is how the Gophers handle expectations. Would imagine they have a good shot at being in the preseason top 25.

Playing with expectations an entirely different animal. I would imagine Pitino will schedule accordingly. Would expect the non-conference schedule will be ramped up to match the season expectations. Needs to be tougher than this past season, and this year was pretty solid.

This year played the RPI/SOS game very well. Next year people will expect a few more bigger name recognition schools even if our actual SOS isn't much different or worse.

This year played the RPI/SOS game very well. Next year people will expect a few more bigger name recognition schools even if our actual SOS isn't much different or worse.

Agree, excellent point.

If the Gophers are ever going to get a top-shelf ACC opponent, this should be the year. Louisville would make sense in more ways than one. Cardinals played a home game in the Challenge this season, the Gophers played a road game. If we get stuck with Virginia (yuck), Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, or Georgia Tech, the pairings are a farce. Given teams' expectations, I'd also be cool with Duke & North Carolina (duh), as well as Notre Dame.

Agree, excellent point.

If the Gophers are ever going to get a top-shelf ACC opponent, this should be the year. Louisville would make sense in more ways than one. Cardinals played a home game in the Challenge this season, the Gophers played a road game. If we get stuck with Virginia (yuck), Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, or Georgia Tech, the pairings are a farce. Given teams' expectations, I'd also be cool with Duke & North Carolina (duh), as well as Notre Dame.

Does Puke ever play a true road game in the Challenge? It seems like if they are not at Cameron, they are either playing a significantly weaker foe or at a "neutral" site. If K smells the Gophers being at all decent, he's going to manipulate the game into U.S. Bank, diluting our home court advantage. My guess is Pitino, Sr. has a bit of influence as well and will do all he can to avoid coaching against his son. I'd take a game against Miami. I think they will be really good next year.

Top Bottom