Shepard to Leave Neb

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
Just saw on twitter that Shepard is leaving Nebraska. HUGE loss for them.

Side note: The big ten was pretty weak this season as a whole already, between the graduation of the Jones and SWK from Maryland and Jankoska from Michigan St and now the two transfers of Shepard and Gondrezick from Michigan, could it be even weaker next season?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/womens...cle_47007e1a-1301-11e7-b5f6-37633a2d29f8.html

Wow, that would be a big loss. She had a slow start to the season; but...still, losing good players is not good for the B1G.

Jessica Shepard was committed to the Nebraska women’s basketball team for her entire high school career. But she’ll transfer from NU having played just two seasons — and no NCAA Tournament games — with the program.

In a joint statement, Shepard and Husker coach Amy Williams announced Monday that Shepard had decided to play elsewhere.

“Jessica thinks it is in her best interest to leave our program and seek a fresh start at this time,” Williams said. “We wish her the best and will try to help her through the process, if she needs it.”

One of the nation’s best players in the 2015 recruiting class, Shepard is likely to have many suitors, much like one of Shepard’s former AAU teammates, Shelby native Chatrice White, a former five-star recruit who spurned Nebraska to spend two seasons at Illinois before transferring and getting immediate eligibility at Florida State, which played for a berth in the women’s Final Four Monday night. White was the ACC’s Sixth Player of the Year on a team so stacked with talent White wasn’t asked to carry the program, as she did at Illinois.

Shepard, in many ways, did the same at Nebraska this season, to little avail on the court. The Huskers suffered repeated drubbings until late in the season, when they beat Indiana and Michigan State at home.

In a mid-February interview with the World-Herald, Shepard was frank about the challenges of going through such a tough season.

“It’s tough when you lose a game by 30 points and you have to go to practice the next day and still try and come with that positive mindset — because you know if you don’t, the rest of the team isn’t,” Shepard said at the time. “I want to be more consistent. It’s something I still need to improve on, but I’m really trying to focus on it.”

If she would have transferred last year, maybe she wouldn't have had to sit out a year.

She's a talented player. That being said, she could use next season to get in better shape. I realize that she's not a speedburner, but I've often thought that she tired too easily. If OSU's Mitchell enters the W draft, that would be yet another marquee player gone from the conference.

She's a talented player. That being said, she could use next season to get in better shape. I realize that she's not a speedburner, but I've often thought that she tired too easily. If OSU's Mitchell enters the W draft, that would be yet another marquee player gone from the conference.
She was the main reason for Connie Yori losing her job. Her dad is a bit of a nut case. Terribly out of shape and 2 different college coaches couldn't change that.

Toxic parents can be a coaches nightmare- queue Lavar Ball. Hope she commits herself to getting in shape as she has talent.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/rec...cle_31f26326-4709-11e7-8cbd-af24fccd537f.html

Shepard to Notre Dame: takes a final shot at Nebraska.

Former Husker Jessica Shepard is transferring to Notre Dame, the two-time All-Big Ten selection told The World-Herald on Thursday.

“I wanted to go to a place where I can develop into the player I want to be and compete for championships,” Shepard said.

After sitting out next season per NCAA transfer rules, Shepard will have two years of eligibility remaining for the Fighting Irish.

“Notre Dame has a post coach that is second to none and considered the best in the country,” Shepard said. “My skills fit into the offense they run and that offense will allow me to play on the perimeter and in the post.”

Without being specific or mean, it sure seems like she has some issues that are about fixing her own stuff, not about where she is while she's doing. It seems to me that some major changes need to happen for her to be a contributor at Notre Dame.

What ever happened to "there is no place like Nebraska?"

Top Bottom