Zulgad: Where did we go wrong? Documenting the meltdown of Minnesota sports in March

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

Gophers men’s basketball

On March 10th: After getting a double bye in the Big Ten tournament because of a fourth-place finish in the conference, the Gophers won for the ninth time in 10 games with a win over Michigan State. The bad news was that the Gophers lost senior Akeem Springs to a season-ending Achilles’ injury.

What’s happened since? The Gophers were ousted from the Big Ten tournament by Michigan the following day and then were easily dispatched from the NCAA tournament in an 81-72 loss to Middle Tennessee in their opening game. It was an especially tough game for point guard Nate Mason, who had only five points on 2-of-10 shooting and had more turnovers (four) than assists (three).

Disappointment level: 5. The Gophers were a No. 5 seed but this actually wasn’t that big of upset. The previous season Middle Tennessee had shocked Michigan State in the NCAA tournament, and once Springs went out with an injury the selection committee had no business awarding Minnesota a top-five seed. Nonetheless, it wasn’t an impressive way to end a season that had pleasantly surprised many after the Gophers had won only eight games the previous year.

http://www.1500espn.com/wild-2/2017/03/zulgad-go-wrong-documenting-meltdown-minnesota-sports-march/

Go Gophers!!

per Judd:

Gophers men’s basketball

On March 10th: After getting a double bye in the Big Ten tournament because of a fourth-place finish in the conference, the Gophers won for the ninth time in 10 games with a win over Michigan State. The bad news was that the Gophers lost senior Akeem Springs to a season-ending Achilles’ injury.

What’s happened since? The Gophers were ousted from the Big Ten tournament by Michigan the following day and then were easily dispatched from the NCAA tournament in an 81-72 loss to Middle Tennessee in their opening game. It was an especially tough game for point guard Nate Mason, who had only five points on 2-of-10 shooting and had more turnovers (four) than assists (three).

Disappointment level: 5. The Gophers were a No. 5 seed but this actually wasn’t that big of upset. The previous season Middle Tennessee had shocked Michigan State in the NCAA tournament, and once Springs went out with an injury the selection committee had no business awarding Minnesota a top-five seed. Nonetheless, it wasn’t an impressive way to end a season that had pleasantly surprised many after the Gophers had won only eight games the previous year.

http://www.1500espn.com/wild-2/2017/03/zulgad-go-wrong-documenting-meltdown-minnesota-sports-march/

Go Gophers!!

......is there anything in those three paragraphs that hasn't been repeated 1000 times already?

- Gophers did surprisingly well this season
- Gophers losing Springs was tough
- Gophers were seeded too high in NCAA tournament
- Middle Tenn beating us wasn't that surprising given their success this year and the last
- Losing in first round was a bitter end to, again, a productive a season overall

I think we get it.

I'd put the disappointment level at much higher than 5. That's the highest seed the Gophers have had in 20 years and they were the highest seeded to be eliminated in the first round of the tournament. To get to play in Milwaukee and have that draw to the Sweet 16 was more than anyone could have hoped for and it was a huge missed opportunity to push the program forward. We could have a better team next year and end up with a much tougher road in the tournament.

Gopher men's hockey under Lucia is the program that is perpetually disappointing in March. How that guy continues to hold his job is mind-boggling. If any other coach did as little with the advantages they have in recruiting base and resources they would've been gone long ago.

Gopher men's hockey under Lucia is the program that is perpetually disappointing in March. How that guy continues to hold his job is mind-boggling. If any other coach did as little with the advantages they have in recruiting base and resources they would've been gone long ago.

I agree, that program desperately needs a jolt of energy, interest is at an all time low because fans don't care about winning JV Conference Championships, plus we are losing notable recruiting battles to instate rivals, that's unacceptable

I'd put the disappointment level at much higher than 5. That's the highest seed the Gophers have had in 20 years and they were the highest seeded to be eliminated in the first round of the tournament. To get to play in Milwaukee and have that draw to the Sweet 16 was more than anyone could have hoped for and it was a huge missed opportunity to push the program forward. We could have a better team next year and end up with a much tougher road in the tournament.

Gophers were slightly over-seeded, should have been a 6. MTSU was grossly under-seeded, should have been an 8 or 9, and what we got was an "upset" that wasn't really an upset at all. If Springs was healthy, I was thinking Sweet 16 was reasonable. But once he got injured, further crippling an already short bench, for me the Gophers tournament dynamic changed. My goal was get a win, then see what happened vs. Butler.

Yes, it was disappointing to lose to MTSU and not live to play another day, but anyone who was at the game knows the better team won. Gophers had no guards to bring off the bench, while MTSU had quality depth.

Season was a smashing, unexpected success, losing to MTSU in the 1st round doesn't change that. Next season, very confident (losing in the 1st round) won't be considered a success.

Before the football business blew up, I always maintained that Coyle's first priority was to get hockey straightened out. Lucia's seat has to be white hot right now.

Gophers were slightly over-seeded, should have been a 6. MTSU was grossly under-seeded, should have been an 8 or 9, and what we got was an "upset" that wasn't really an upset at all. If Springs was healthy, I was thinking Sweet 16 was reasonable. But once he got injured, further crippling an already short bench, for me the Gophers tournament dynamic changed. My goal was get a win, then see what happened vs. Butler.

Yes, it was disappointing to lose to MTSU and not live to play another day, but anyone who was at the game knows the better team won. Gophers had no guards to bring off the bench, while MTSU had quality depth.

Season was a smashing, unexpected success, losing to MTSU in the 1st round doesn't change that. Next season, very confident (losing in the 1st round) won't be considered a success.

Agree fully SS. Well said.

Amen! We should be like Alabama is in football right now.

Top Bottom