OL Jalen Mayfield decommits from Gophers

Mayfield's decommitment is a reminder that PJ is in a whole new recruiting league. We truly will not know how effective he is, as a recruiter, until he gets his first full class as HC. I have no doubt that Coach Fleck will get some impressive commitments, keeping them, that's a separate issue. It'll take about three years to know if PJ can change our recruiting on a consistent basis, he'll have the new coach bump this year and maybe next year, it's the third year that establishes if a trend will hold.

Michigan only has 8 returning oline scholarship guys in camp. Lost four grads, three of them starters with NFL looks. Another went grad transfer to IowaState. Another guy with very bad injury.

New oline coach. New te coach.

Lose top two te. Butt to nfl, asiata to grad transfer.

Lost rb deveon smith to nfl.

Michigan only has 8 returning oline scholarship guys in camp. Lost four grads, three of them starters with NFL looks. Another went grad transfer to IowaState. Another guy with very bad injury.

New oline coach. New te coach.

Lose top two te. Butt to nfl, asiata to grad transfer.

Lost rb deveon smith to nfl.

Only 8? Might as well fold up for the year. We will have 11 before the freshman arrive and our pets heads are falling off.

I'm just saying Coyle appears really concerned with recruiting rankings and perception, not a good day for PJ with the new boss...get healthy Jerry, I think there might be an opening.

STOP!!! My sides hurt from laughing so hard.

Actually Wisconsin had a 3.06 avr and finished 51, meanwhile arkansas finished 27 with a 2.96 avr. Last year 40 teams averaged 3 or better.

Always depends a little on the source...Rivals had ARK at 24 with 3.04 AVG in 2017...it also had 5 4-star commits. To make it inside of 40, teams pretty much need at least a couple of 4-stars in the class.

And let's be honest.... if Claeys had lost a recruit now, and just signed an unranked kid from Perham you have never heard of, you would be screaming about what a lazy, crappy recruiting staff we have.

I'm just going to support our coach, whoever that is, but can't wait to see how long it takes you to be disappointed in Fleck. You will excuse him for awhile, but will likely be one of the first to turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All accurate.

You're sadly not as clever as you think Spoofin. Sorry some people think winning rivalry games is important. Sorry some people expect to beat Rutgers by more than two points at home. No one is saying those wins don't count but they are up for criticism as are the losses.

Winning by 2 or 200 counts the same.

What an enjoyable thread to read today!!!

As to the thread topic: disappointed that Mayfield has decommitted. Maybe between now and signing day PJF can re-recruit Jaylen and get him to flip back.

Yes a win is a win. It is also possible to criticize a win and value rivalry wins over regular wins, which some of you guys don't seem to get.

What about bowl wins?
Where do they fall on your win spectrum?
Are they above Regular and below rivalry wins or does that change for you based on the team we are playing?

Mayfield's decommitment is a reminder that PJ is in a whole new recruiting league. We truly will not know how effective he is, as a recruiter, until he gets his first full class as HC. I have no doubt that Coach Fleck will get some impressive commitments, keeping them, that's a separate issue. It'll take about three years to know if PJ can change our recruiting on a consistent basis, he'll have the new coach bump this year and maybe next year, it's the third year that establishes if a trend will hold.

Yeah, I look at this totally different. Sucks to lose a recruit but at the same time we lost a guy to Michigan....how often in the past few years have we even had a guy that Michigan would want to steal from us committed?

Oh well back to the pissing matches about everything else that this thread has turned into....sorry for the interruption.

So, to review: a kid who gave a verbal - non-binding - commitment to the Gophers changed his mind. Which demonstrates again why I don't get excited about verbal commitments. I get excited when kids sign a letter of intent. That is official. I get more excited when those kids actually put on a jersey and play in a game.

yes, I understand that a high percentage of kids who give verbals will eventually sign a LOI with that school. But, it's not a guarantee. Kids change their minds. There have been recruits who flipped to the Gophers, and recruits who flipped away from the Gophers. It's all part of the game. The world is not ending. Stay calm, all is well. (OH NO, THEY'RE LOOTING THE FOOD KING......)

A coach that does sleepovers and crop dusts people.

In 25 words what does Michigan have to offer that we don't?

He was excited to commit to Michigan after he found out that Coach Harbaugh does sleepovers in a onesie and he likes to crop dust players as a sign of affection.

So, to review: a kid who gave a verbal - non-binding - commitment to the Gophers changed his mind. Which demonstrates again why I don't get excited about verbal commitments. I get excited when kids sign a letter of intent. That is official. I get more excited when those kids actually put on a jersey and play in a game.

yes, I understand that a high percentage of kids who give verbals will eventually sign a LOI with that school. But, it's not a guarantee. Kids change their minds. There have been recruits who flipped to the Gophers, and recruits who flipped away from the Gophers. It's all part of the game. The world is not ending. Stay calm, all is well. (OH NO, THEY'RE LOOTING THE FOOD KING......)

Was it over when the Wolverines bombed Pearl Harbor??? Hell no...nothing is over until Fleck decides it is!

The kid is from Michigan. Can't blame a kid for staying home. We love it when MN kids do it, right?

Why are you posting on any recruiting threads then? Almost everyone on these threads like to discuss and SPECULATE which you don't seem to like to do.

I don't suppose you could see your way clear to giving us one more chance?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Why are you posting on any recruiting threads then? Almost everyone on these threads like to discuss and SPECULATE which you don't seem to like to do.

I like the information about who is being recruited by the Gophers. I just don't take it all that seriously until they sign a LOI.

Top Bottom