Gopherhole's Sports Huddle lRecap: Coach Fleck - 3/26/17

DL65

Reaction score
Mike Max filled n for Dave Mona on today’s Sports Huddle.

1) Sid’s first question was for an appraisal of the team during spring drills:

Fleck replied, “I think we’re getting better . . . We’ve practiced on three different fields . . . They’ve worked hard . . . Ton of reps at practices.”
Fleck also said the players are adapting to the new culture and changes. As to the reps, because of the fast paced practices – “organized chaos” - the players, because of shortages at certain positions, are getting “a ton” of reps. He also expressed the importance of being able to work outside in various weather conditions – “football is meant to be played outside.”

2) Sid asked about the announced transfer of Gaelin Elmore:

“There’s a lot of guys who like the new changes and some don’t,” Fleck answered. “The great thing he graduated Minnesota.” Fleck was complimentary when he talked about Gaelin Elmore.

Fleck also said there are always transfers whenever a new coach comes on board. He said he experienced the same thing when he arrived at Western Michigan.

3) Sid asked about the shortages in the offensive line and at defensive tackle:

Fleck responded to Sid’s query by saying they’re doing “a lot more individual work.”

He went on to say that you need to have to have “big numbers” in spring ball. He promised that they’ll have the needed numbers in a couple years – being a well balanced team.

4) Sid asked about the move of Mark Williams from quarterback to wide receiver:

Fleck said the move was to take advantage of Williams’ athleticism, - “a good athlete and smart . . . think he can flourish at wide receiver . . . if not wide receiver then at cornerback.”

Fleck said, “There’s a lot more evaluations to go.” By his inference, it appears we can expect some more position changes. How many, if any? We’ll have to wait and see.

5) Mike Max asked a follow up question related to wide receivers and the importance of downfield blocking:

Fleck agreed about the importance of receivers being able to block. But he added, “We want receivers to run elite routes . . . have to be playmakers . . . have to find playmakers (either through recruiting or development).”

6) Sid asked about practicing outside:

Fleck told Sid that practicing outside is very important (experiencing game conditions). Then he said that they had between 100 and 150 recruits at yesterday’s practice. He didn’t say it, but, IMO, having practice outside in TCF Bank Stadium was probably used as a recruiting tool.

7) Sid asked if they had had any scrimmages”

They have not had any scrimmages; however, Fleck hastened to add that they’ll have a scrimmage next Saturday.

Later in his answer to Sid’s question, Fleck said they did “put the ball down” and let the players play near the end of yesterday’s practice.

8) Mike Max asked about the team’s leadership:

The team has selected 30-36 players to serve on a “leadership council” which meets with coach Fleck at 6:30 in the morning.

Development plays a key role in leadership, according to coach Fleck. “We have a lot of leaders . . . develop from the ground up . . . leadership never rests.”

9) Sid asked about team’s current quarterbacks:

The biggest obstacle to overcome, according Fleck, is that there’s little or no game experience at quarterback. “(quarterback position is) a work in progress . . . We got to work hard in practice . . . it’s all about development . . . a long way to go in terms of development,” Fleck answered.

10) In a follow up, Mike Max asked what will mark success at quarterback:

Fleck quickly replied, “Mastery of the offense . . . decisive decision maker.” He also said it’s up to the players - have to have buy-in.

11) Sid asked for an appraisal of recruiting (2018 class):

Fleck said they had 150 to 200 recruits at yesterday’s practice. (Note: in an earlier question he said they had 100 to 150 recruits in yesterday. It would be safe to say they had a large contingent of recruits and parents visiting this weekend.)

As he has said in the past, “recruiting is number one” and what is important, according to coach Fleck, “the size of the (player’s) heart” and “who wants to be a Gopher.”

12) Sid wanted to know if they’ve recruited walk-ons:

In answering Sid’s query, and the importance of a strong walk-on program, Coach Fleck answered, “I think it’s really important.” He then closed the question by saying, “(because of Minnesota’s) high academic standards, we have smart players.”

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome DL! Have yourself a cold one after that report from fast talking Fleck! The large number of recruits shows a good interest in the program as you indicated. Very good to hear.

I liked the part where he says he doesnt worry about stars and rankings, and then mentioned how high the class is ranked.

Fleck said they had 150 to 200 recruits at yesterday’s practice.

Really? Maybe it is just me, but is this an "elite" hyperbole? Unless they had five or six local youth teams there, I find it hard to believe they had those numbers. Or was it Junior day?

5) Mike Max asked a follow up question related to wide receivers and the importance of downfield blocking:

Fleck agreed about the importance of receivers being able to block. But he added, “We want receivers to run elite routes . . . have to be playmakers . . . have to find playmakers (either through recruiting or development).”

Go Gophers!!

This question from Mike Max gave me a good laugh. Seems like that is all the previous staff cared about in WR development.

Fleck said they had 150 to 200 recruits at yesterday’s practice.

Really? Maybe it is just me, but is this an "elite" hyperbole? Unless they had five or six local youth teams there, I find it hard to believe they had those numbers. Or was it Junior day?

It was junior day

It was junior day

Even that, I would say it is more than a bit misleading to say there were 150 - 200 recruits there. Out of that number, how many will the Gophers actually recruit and go after...5, 10?

Even that, I would say it is more than a bit misleading to say there were 150 - 200 recruits there. Out of that number, how many will the Gophers actually recruit and go after...5, 10?

Now you're arguing semantics here. Would you have preferred him say "potential recruits"? Or something else entirely?

Top Bottom