ESPN: Why these sleeper teams could win the Big Ten title (Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Minnesota

Row the dang boat. The Golden Gophers have come close the past couple years, and maybe first-year head coach P.J. Fleck's enthusiasm and new offense will help push them past the finish line. The roster has some holes, but the schedule is manageable early. It's not unthinkable that Minnesota could be 7-0 heading into the Floyd game in Iowa City. Crazier things have happened ... just look at last year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/141878/why-these-sleeper-teams-could-win-the-big-ten-title

Go Gophers!!

"It's not unthinkable that Minnesota could be 7-0 heading into the Floyd game in Iowa City."
PJF Haters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's not unthinkable that Minnesota could be 7-0 heading into the Floyd game in Iowa City."
PJF Haters

Not unthinkable, but not a guarantee. I'm not going to put out an expectation that demands a 7-0 start though. If that makes me a Fleckster, so be it.

Not unthinkable, but not a guarantee. I'm not going to put out an expectation that demands a 7-0 start though. If that makes me a Fleckster, so be it.

You read the post and your first thought was "it's a guarantee"?

Not sure what that makes you. :cool:

Nice to get the props, but I'm guessing we'll be Rip van Winkle the first year. I just hope its a short nap. That said, I think we'll be bowl eligible.

Nothing is guaranteed in life. You have to work for it. Not going to be handed to you like some players may want and that is a good thing. It makes you work harder yet.

7 and 0 to start the year is a strong possibility. Nobody said it was a guarantee.
We have an upgraded coaching staff according to many. Many returning players with game experience on both sides of the ball. A few unknowns, but that is the norm in college football. We should be optimistic because of all that. If we go 6 and 1 or 5 and 2 to start then that is ok. If we go 0 and 7 or 1 and 6, then maybe we need to look in a new direction.

I honestly want to see the team do well, but anyone who guarantees anything about this season is nuts. New staff, new schemes, new QB - really hard to predict anything.

I can't even say if I'm optimistic or pessimistic. I really don't know. Ask me after the non-conference games, and I might have a better idea of what to expect.

But, given the depth issues on the OL and DL, any significant injuries to those position groups would be a huge problem. IF they can stay healthy, I will be a lot more optimistic. If the injuries start to mount up, things could get messy.

PJF Haters

It's not unthinkable that the polar ice caps will all melt, but it is unlikely. [emoji41]

You read the post and your first thought was "it's a guarantee"?

Not sure what that makes you. :cool:

All I hear around here is how awful it is that the so called "Flecksters" have low/no expectations. Do you know what expectations means? A strong belief that something will happen.

We aren't saying that a 8-13 win season couldn't happen, we just aren't saying that it will happen.

With what PJF has said regarding depth, player turnover (which we have seen), new system/staff, and the fact we have a new QB I have my doubts. That being said, I'm not happy that PJF is really underselling what these young men have accomplished these last few years. They obviously have heart...lots of it. You don't lose your beloved head coach and then the assistant turned head coach that given the boycott and all of that...obviously loved him too. They have won quite a few games over these last few years. I think there is quite a bit of talent there. Lets pump up those guys that have stuck it out and given their all to the U of M. I for one am very proud of what they have accomplished on the field. Lets see another good season this year. Given all the variables it will be tougher this year but with the schedule I think they can at least be in the hunt for the West if they get the QB situation figured out. (would like to see us stick more with a 3-4 given the roster, was surprised to hear he was committed to the 4-3)

All I hear around here is how awful it is that the so called "Flecksters" have low/no expectations. Do you know what expectations means? A strong belief that something will happen.

We aren't saying that a 8-13 win season couldn't happen, we just aren't saying that it will happen.

Right. So I won't find a well supported thread on GH discussing how 8 wins is <I>unrealistic</I>, much less a thread titled that?

You are no Fleckster. A true Fleckster would never even entertain the possibility that we could win 8 games next year. These kids are still Howphers, not yet Gophers.

Well, that is a firm grasp of the obvious...

I honestly want to see the team do well, but anyone who guarantees anything about this season is nuts. New staff, new schemes, new QB - really hard to predict anything.

I can't even say if I'm optimistic or pessimistic. I really don't know. Ask me after the non-conference games, and I might have a better idea of what to expect.

But, given the depth issues on the OL and DL, any significant injuries to those position groups would be a huge problem. IF they can stay healthy, I will be a lot more optimistic. If the injuries start to mount up, things could get messy.

Who actually guaranteed anything?

7 and 0 to start the year is a strong possibility. Nobody said it was a guarantee.
We have an upgraded coaching staff according to many. Many returning players with game experience on both sides of the ball. A few unknowns, but that is the norm in college football. We should be optimistic because of all that. If we go 6 and 1 or 5 and 2 to start then that is ok. If we go 0 and 7 or 1 and 6, then maybe we need to look in a new direction.

Solid realistic post, thanks.

Solid realistic post, thanks.

Insinuating that if the Gophers have a bad start in their first 7 games this season it might be time to look in a new direction for a head coach is not a solid post. It's also nowhere near realistic. Thanks

Insinuating that if the Gophers have a bad start in their first 7 games this season it might be time to look in a new direction for a head coach is not a solid post. It's also nowhere near realistic. Thanks

Consider the source

Right. So I won't find a well supported thread on GH discussing how 8 wins is <I>unrealistic</I>, much less a thread titled that?

You are no Fleckster. A true Fleckster would never even entertain the possibility that we could win 8 games next year. These kids are still Howphers, not yet Gophers.

The proper term is Fleckite. [emoji41]

7-0 is a realistic start but so is 3-4. I've said it before, but 2017 was likely going to be a 'dip' in our program regardless of the coach. If Fleck goes 7-0, we should build a statue immediately, and 2018 might be another minor 'step back' (I'm not giving the new coach any sort of breaks, but just judging the complete lack of depth that the previous regime left him - some due to injury so it is some bad luck). I'm willing to give the new coach a full recruiting cycle before casting judgment (which usually is the accepted take). Kill did an amazing job of accumulating talent of 'left-overs' to improve our program which Claeys benefited from in 2016. I'd be shocked if Claeys is the head coach at a power 5 school in the next 5 years...that should be telling. If Claeys was the sort of generational savior that some seem to think, he will be snatched up by a very recognizable school in the next year or so. It's crazy to think that he won 9 games at a garbage program - yet nobody wants any part of him.

Sure, but the question was how come you had no idea what "guarantee" meant..;)

Wow, you were conveniently selective and really read into that one. It is absolutely possible Goph could go 7-0. I think they have the talent. To be clear, I don't agree with the last part, but it is a solid post. Fleck isn't going anywhere soon regardless of the record, stated that many, many times.

It's no secret I think Fleck should be able win right away.

With what PJF has said regarding depth, player turnover (which we have seen), new system/staff, and the fact we have a new QB I have my doubts. That being said, I'm not happy that PJF is really underselling what these young men have accomplished these last few years. They obviously have heart...lots of it. You don't lose your beloved head coach and then the assistant turned head coach that given the boycott and all of that...obviously loved him too. They have won quite a few games over these last few years. I think there is quite a bit of talent there. Lets pump up those guys that have stuck it out and given their all to the U of M. I for one am very proud of what they have accomplished on the field. Lets see another good season this year. Given all the variables it will be tougher this year but with the schedule I think they can at least be in the hunt for the West if they get the QB situation figured out. (would like to see us stick more with a 3-4 given the roster, was surprised to hear he was committed to the 4-3)

Yup. The Gophers have been very competitive with the best in the Big Ten, which has meant the best in the nation, the past couple of years. Many of us remember when a game against a ranked team automatically meant a 7-49 or 6-55 loss. We also remember the absolutely rotten pass defenses the Gophers had for decades. The Holiday Bowl showed how far we've come and some of our best were not playing in that game.

7-0 is a realistic start but so is 3-4. I've said it before, but 2017 was likely going to be a 'dip' in our program regardless of the coach. If Fleck goes 7-0, we should build a statue immediately, and 2018 might be another minor 'step back' (I'm not giving the new coach any sort of breaks, but just judging the complete lack of depth that the previous regime left him - some due to injury so it is some bad luck). I'm willing to give the new coach a full recruiting cycle before casting judgment (which usually is the accepted take). Kill did an amazing job of accumulating talent of 'left-overs' to improve our program which Claeys benefited from in 2016. I'd be shocked if Claeys is the head coach at a power 5 school in the next 5 years...that should be telling. If Claeys was the sort of generational savior that some seem to think, he will be snatched up by a very recognizable school in the next year or so. It's crazy to think that he won 9 games at a garbage program - yet nobody wants any part of him.

I'm not sure I follow you here so please help me understand. We have:

-6 injured on the 0-line, all apparently expected to be back by fall. We should be able to find 7 guys that can play out of that ballyhooed group; many of the underclassmen have gotten props. Thin but not catastrophic at this point.
-2 o-line transfers likely not due to Claeys, (for sure one of them not due to Claeys). We had a walk-on or two leave due to injury IIRC.
-4 players expelled including two that would be starting corners this season
-Elmore left due to Fleck
-Lingen should be back, Kieft will be a year older, Witham?

We were projected to be deficient at defensive line after this season (and it's difficult to say where recruiting would have ended up last year under Claeys and it didn't look particularly promising although I have to believe the lure of immediate playing time would have brought some in).

We seem to have sufficient (not great) depth at every spot except defensive end and corner and even that is ok if we only have 3 down linemen. We may have to play some young guys at corner. We will have a new starter at QB.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1BDFiCYt8OPZFRVVDNUb2d4OHc/view

The non-con will be all about learning the system and getting comfortable but with the talent we have there isn't any reason we should expect many or any losses. We should hit the regular season running on both feet.

New coaches with a game 6 months away tear down the team. They make it clear to the players they have to work hard to improve. Then come the end of August we will be looking at a team that can compete. A team that has improved tremendously to an elite level. Wait for it.

Top Bottom