Perham defensive tackle Logan Richter Commits to Gophers~

NDSU coach Craig Bohl visited Adam Thielen, said "son, you're 6 5 165, you'd get killed in D1" Adam went out, bulked up, ran clean routes and voila, NFL

NDSU coach Craig Bohl visited Carson Wentz said "son, you had 1 senior year, that's it, come to ndsu redshirt, then sit & watch Brock Jensen" voila, #2 draft pick.

Plenty of diamonds in the rough, Marcus Williams, Billy Turner, Ramon Humber, Joe Haeg all in the NFL now and Joe Haeg was a walk on from Brainerd!

best of luck to Logan

There's a bunch on the roster as we speak. Every year in recent history, guys have developed and moved from the bench to playing time to starting. I see no reason why it doesn't happen this year. Might not make the jump to the NFL, but can be very good college players.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So, they found a trophy walleye in a pan fish pond right in their own backyard. PJ & company must have fallen off their seats when they saw Logan perform in person.

How can they not offer instantaneously?

Very Glad Logan will be a CFB at the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richter, a small town Minn. kid, recounts crazy day he committed to Gophers football program

Logan Richter, a 6-foot-4, 290-pound offensive and defensive lineman from Perham, sat in the back row with his sister, mom and dad, as University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck spoke at TCF Bank Stadium.

It was Junior Day at the University of Minnesota late last March, a day where high school juniors are invited to meet coaches and tour the facilities and the school. It was the first of what the Richter family felt would be a long recruiting process. Richter had just decided a couple months previous he wanted to pursue collegiate football, and his dad had just started sending out a three-minute highlight video to schools.

The day had felt a bit weird for the Richter family. It seemed as though 300 or so other high school football players from around the country knew what they were doing, while they stood toward the back during everything. Logan noticed people looking at him, eyes widening at his size, and even gave an awkward laugh and a thank you to a coach who had said, "Wow. You look like a really good football player."

"It's probably because they didn't know anything about Logan," Logan's dad, Rich, said.

We just don't get a lot of exposure. If we lived in the Cities, there's just more chances to be seen and that was our first Junior Day."

Logan had no idea he was going to leave Minneapolis with a full scholarship to play football for the Gophers.

"I did not see that coming at all," Richter said. "It was a very long day. Everything just clicked. It was really weird. Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I got to thank everyone along the way for making it possible, my parents, my coaches. It's a dream come true. None of us were expecting it."

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...ounts-crazy-day-he-committed-gophers-football

Go Gophers!!

So, they found a trophy walleye in a pan fish pond right in their own backyard. PJ & company must have fallen off their seats when they saw Logan perform in person.

How can they not offer instantaneously?

This was pretty close to what the Gophers reaction was when they saw this lunker of a player! It is hard to miss a 6'4" 291-lb. player!

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/football/4331463-richter-small-town-minn-kid-recounts-crazy-day-he-committed-gophers-football

http://247sports.com/player/logan-richter-46040016

He looks okay.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4684217/59c142d2b0195e264c0c9b59' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

STrib: Gophers recruit Logan Richter trading grayshirt for maroon

At 6-4, 291 pounds, Logan Richter coming out of nowhere is a little hard to imagine.

And yet, that's exactly what the defensive tackle did in March 2017, at a junior day recruiting event, when Gophers coach P.J. Fleck offered him a scholarship on the spot.

Richter's size and athleticism were the attention grabbers. He was an unheralded recruit from Perham, a northwestern Minnesota town with a population of about 3,000. Pegged for last December's Gophers recruiting class, Richter faded into obscurity again by "grayshirting" the 2018 season, postponing his arrival at the U.

For the past year, the 18-year-old has again been largely forgotten. But that's about to change again Wednesday, when he finally signs his national letter of intent.

Grayshirting is a practice coaches mainly employ to push a scholarship to the next class, if a program is full on signing day. The Gophers reached the maximum 25 signees last year without Richter, and their class will be close to full again this year. After he initially committed, Richter said he realized he needed more time to develop.

"I was 17 at the time, and I was young and just wanted to take time to better myself," Richter said. "It felt to me it was the best thing to take a semester off. But now that the time's come, I feel I'm ready to compete at that level and hang out with all the guys and meet everybody."

The defensive lineman — who could get moved to the offensive line, given his size — said he'll arrive on campus Jan. 16 to officially enroll and prepare for spring football. Since graduating from Perham this past spring, he's been keeping busy but lying low. He worked for his dad's dock and boat lift business, when he wasn't training for college football.

Richter's friend and former Perham teammate Anthony Dahl said Richter lifts every day and has really taken football seriously these past couple months.

"He's a big, powerful, powerful man," Richter's high school coach Kyle Knutson said. "A lot of natural strength. He didn't really commit a lot of time to the weight room when he was younger. ... For a guy that's his size, he's got tremendously quick feet."

While Richter might have a lot to prove on the football field, he's actually most looking forward to just picking up the friendships he started to make with his original recruiting class.

"Guys there are working hard every day," Richter said. "I feel the need to do the same."

After a year spent idle from football, he'll soon immerse himself in Fleck's program.

"My time will come," Richter said.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ding-grayshirt-for-maroon-and-gold/503062171/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom