Perham defensive tackle Logan Richter Commits to Gophers~

If you stop and listen to the Loons and really looked carefully in Small Town Minnesota, you may find Paul Bunyan.

I hope that PJF scours the entire state for hidden gems. If Logan Richter was going to school in Eden Prairie HS instead, he would have been easily a high three start or four star on the Power Five radar.

This is a true diamond in the rough. Congrats to Logan!

It's a great weekend for the Golden Gophers!

It's true that it is hard to recruit defensive linemen. It's nice to finally have a staff that is willing to put in that hard work instead of just complaining about it.

One dot. Maybe this is just me, but if he only has one dot and is graded at 85 by 247 then why is his 247 composite at .8499? That one ten-thousandth really, really bothers me. Further, why does 247 deem it necessary to take the 247 composite to the ten-thousands place? Are there people insane enough to care if recruit A is two ten-thousandths lower than recruit B on his 247 composite? Would it not be sufficient to take the 247 composite to the hundredths place and leave it at that? Maybe the thousands place for the really, really type AAs out there.

Perham is Gopher country.

well the main bar has NDSU all over it with a NDSU WR owning it & its about 50/50 around the lakes area with flags on docks, pontoons. etc.

but yes Perham has Charlie Nelson running his dad's Barrel of Fun, Tuffys and he was a Gopher Star baseball player in the 90's.

Peyton Jordahl the long snapper on Gophers team is family friend with Richter's. so that's the connection. Interesting that no one else offered, but kid is very fluid on the basketball court and a very nice young man.

One dot. Maybe this is just me, but if he only has one dot and is graded at 85 by 247 then why is his 247 composite at .8499? That one ten-thousandth really, really bothers me. Further, why does 247 deem it necessary to take the 247 composite to the ten-thousands place? Are there people insane enough to care if recruit A is two ten-thousandths lower than recruit B on his 247 composite? Would it not be sufficient to take the 247 composite to the hundredths place and leave it at that? Maybe the thousands place for the really, really type AAs out there.

Me, too. Should only be to the thousands if we want to stick to significant digits.

It's not that hard to believe that this kid would have been a 3 star and receiving other power 5 attention at Eden Prairie, or another Metro school. I don't recall anyone on here talking about this kid. I doubt any other P5 schools knew about this kid.

It's not that hard to believe that this kid would have been a 3 star and receiving other power 5 attention at Eden Prairie, or another Metro school. I don't recall anyone on here talking about this kid. I doubt any other P5 schools knew about this kid.

He said high 3 or 4 star. If you're good coaches and yhe recruiting services will find you regardless of where you play.

I've never heard of him before, but 6'4" 290lb (according to Burns) DT's who're athletic don't grow on trees. The staff had seen his film & after seeing him in person, they offered. I'm on board.

His film was way more impressive than I was expecting. He looks really nimble for such a big guy.

I trust Pj's ability to evaluate talent. It's like in the Kill/Claeys era, the under the radar guys they offered early (seemingly out of nowhere), almost always turned out to be, at least, decent football players.

Welcome aboard Logan.

He said high 3 or 4 star. If you're good coaches and yhe recruiting services will find you regardless of where you play.

How do you figure? There are so many examples of players that only get evaluated by recruiting services once they verbal, and so many players that only are recruited by one team.

Perham is in west central MN near Detroit Lakes, for those not aware. Ton of lakes up there, and big time Gopher country up there. Kenny Nelson is a big booster to the U, has Kenny's Candy, Tuffy's and a few other brands. Also had Barrel O Fun before recently selling. Not sure if he still does, but about 10 years ago when I was in college, he would host a big Gopher fundraising golf tourney up there and would raise a lot of money, and then match whatever was raised. I believe he had a big donation to the new baseball stadium.

If you're good coaches and yhe recruiting services will find you regardless of where you play.

Not always. A number of very good college players have fallen through the cracks and landed in FCS. Does that mean they're not good? Nope.

Not sure I have the context right but this reminds of the legend of Bronko Nagurski and how he was "discovered" in northern MN.

If you stop and listen to the Loons and really looked carefully in Small Town Minnesota, you may find Paul Bunyan.

I hope that PJF scours the entire state for hidden gems. If Logan Richter was going to school in Eden Prairie HS instead, he would have been easily a high three start or four star on the Power Five radar.

This is a true diamond in the rough. Congrats to Logan!

It's a great weekend for the Golden Gophers!

Disagree Jonah Pirsig was a high three low four and he's from Blue Earth

Makes me wonder if Fleck would've discovered Adam Thielen

I have coached against both Thielen and Richter. As High School athletes go, Richter is a much more attractive D1 recruit. Thielen was a very good player but looking at him as a High Schooler it would have been near impossible to predict his ascension.

I believe Richter can have a very solid career with the Gophers. He is a very athletic kid for nearly 300lbs. Under a D1 weight program he has the potential to transform to a complete physical freak. This is a good get for Fleck!

Disagree Jonah Pirsig was a high three low four and he's from Blue Earth

Pirsig was a Paul Bunyan. Iowa, Minnesota, and others have known him for a long time and was rated by recruiting services earlier because of offers. Didn't he attend several camps from different schools?

Logan Richter wasn't noticed until he attended the Gophers' Junior Camp. How many kids are there in out state MN who never got a chance or could not afford to go to football camps who are potential sleepers? Then, there are kids who are late bloomers.

Pirsig was a Paul Bunyan. Iowa, Minnesota, and others have known him for a long time and was rated by recruiting services earlier because of offers. Didn't he attend several camps from different schools?

Logan Richter wasn't noticed until he attended the Gophers' Junior Camp. How many kids are there in out state MN who never got a chance or could not afford to go to football camps who are potential sleepers? Then, there are kids who are late bloomers.

He didn't even go to a camp he just showed up at their junior day.

He didn't even go to a camp he just showed up at their junior day.

Hah! Fleck and Pauck must have been speechless for a few seconds when they saw the size of Logan Richter.

He is mana from Gopher Heaven!

Just like Pitino's heart would probably be pumping if a previously unknown athletic seven footer plus shows up at his office unannounced, the same thing would be true for Fleck & Paup when they first saw a 6'4" 290 out state defensive tackle specimen.

How many seconds did it take PJF to utter the words, "we would like to offer you a scholarship to play for the Golden Gophers", before their heart pulse rate slowed down to normal?

Perham is in west central MN near Detroit Lakes, for those not aware. Ton of lakes up there, and big time Gopher country up there. Kenny Nelson is a big booster to the U, has Kenny's Candy, Tuffy's and a few other brands. Also had Barrel O Fun before recently selling. Not sure if he still does, but about 10 years ago when I was in college, he would host a big Gopher fundraising golf tourney up there and would raise a lot of money, and then match whatever was raised. I believe he had a big donation to the new baseball stadium.

Visit Perham Dot Com

That's not the argument though, the argument was kids from out state are always rated lower because they don't play in the Metro and that simply isn't true

That's not the argument though, the argument was kids from out state are always rated lower because they don't play in the Metro and that simply isn't true

Correct. Another example - John Carlson was a high 3-star and had offers from Notre Dame (where he played) and Stanford despite growing up in Litchfield.

Top Bottom