Q&A: Apple Valley WR Luke Martens Talks Recruiting, Gophers and More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Apple Valley WR Luke Martens Talks Recruiting, Gophers and More
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/774056?referrer_id=

Luke Martens, a 6-foot-4, 188-pound wide receiver, is one of the top pass catchers in the Class of 2018. He had hoped to attend Minnesota's Junior Day this weekend, but his other duties take priority as a member of the third seed Eagles, who are hoping to win their third Class AAAA title in the past five years.

Martens helped lead the Eagles to a 7-4 record in football, losing to Owatonna in the Class AAAAA quarterfinals 28-24.

Martens had several big games this past season, including seven catches for 115 yards and one touchdown versus Forest Lake, five catches for 109 yards against Farmington and 11 receptions for 160 yards and five scores versus Eastview.

Martens is also a starter for the Eagles' basketball team that plays undefeated Champlin Park Saturday for the Class AAAA title. He is averaging 10.6 points per game. Martens has scored in double figures in 15 of 31 games, including a season-high 22 points versus Lakeville North.

Gopher Hole caught up with Martens at state tournament to learn the latest on his early football recruitment.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you are in basketball mode, how pleased are you with how well the team has played down the stretch?

Luke Martens: I am really pleased. It is great to see our team doing so well. We have a star in Tre (Jones), but anyone can step up. Any role player can step up and score like they did today.

Gopher Hole: It seems like Tre is always going to be "the man," but you had several good games and Momhamed (Kane) has had several games where he has stepped up. Is that something that guys have talked about that you are always going to need more than just him to win games?

Luke Martens: Yes. Basketball is a team sport, so we need everyone to do their job and do it well. Everyone needs to defend. That is the main thing that we are focusing on.

Gopher Hole: I know that you are getting some looks in football. What schools are you hearing from right now?

Luke Martens: I am hearing from North Dakota, Minnesota and a little from Princeton.

Gopher Hole: Have you been invited to any Junior Days?

Luke Martens: The three that I have been invited to are from those three schools; North Dakota, Minnesota and Princeton.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota's Junior Day is this weekend. Have you made some plans to go there some other time?

Luke Martens: I have RSVP'd, but if basketball is working out, I probably wouldn't be able to make it.

Gopher Hole: Are you playing AAU basketball in the spring?

Luke Martens: Yes, I am playing AAU basketball for Minnesota Select.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a wide receiver?

Luke Martens: One of my strengths is just kind of going up and getting in position, getting to the ball and making the play on it.

Gopher Hole: How about last year? You are in one of the toughest conferences in the state (South Suburban) and you played well in the playoffs. What are the expectations for the Eagles this year?

Luke Martens: Our expectations are pretty high. We are changing conferences, so we are going to be traveling a lot more and we are not in the South Suburban anymore.

Gopher Hole: What conference are you going to be in now?

Luke Martens: I'm not exactly sure. We are moving down to playing 5A schools, instead of the 6A schools we have been playing.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that is going to help because you are playing schools, that are unfortunately 50% bigger than you are at times?

Luke Martens: Yes.

Gopher Hole: Your quarterback last year was a senior (Noah Sanders, who signed with North Dakota State). Do you have someone who is grooming that you are working with or do you know who your QB is going to be?

Luke Martens: We have about four or five people right now that are working out in the mornings, twice a week, that we are trying to figure out.

Gopher Hole: You had an experienced quarterback last year and that seemed to make for a good combination with you and him. Is that a little tougher now when you are not sure who the starter is going to be?

Luke Martens: It's a little tough, but I feel like they will work hard and whoever gets the spot will do great.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play Division I football?

Luke Martens: It would be great. I would see all my hard work pay off. Lifting. Getting in the gym.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to any college games last fall?

Luke Martens: Yes. I was invited and went to two of the Minnesota ones against Northwestern and Purdue.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers have had a coaching change with Coach Fleck and the new coaching staff. Have you gotten to know him and the coaching staff yet? They are pretty new, obviously.

Luke Martens: Not much. They are pretty new. I haven't talked to Fleck at all, but I've heard great things about him. He seems like a high-energy, great coach.

Gopher Hole: Does that maybe get you a little more excited about Minnesota? There seems like there is more excitement around the program than there had been in the past?

Luke Martens: There is a lot of excitement. I really like the atmosphere around there. There is high expectations with the new facility and everything. Minnesota has been doing great as of recently.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have the chance to play for the homestate school?

Luke Martens: That would be awesome. An opportunity to have my family go to the game and play in front of my friends around here would be great.

Top Bottom