Pioneer Press: P.J. Fleck’s frenetic practices are ‘organized chaos’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

“It’s chaos,” said Minnesota departed senior safety Damarius Travis, who watched Sunday’s practice from the north sideline at TCF Bank Stadium.

The Gophers will go from 11-on-11 team reps to special-team snaps to mano-a-mano blocking drills in the matter of three minutes. When they transition on the sound of an airhorn and Fleck being mic’d-up, the players have 20 seconds to produce the next rep.

In that one-on-one blocking showcase, offensive players line up along one hashmark, with the defense stretching out on the other. Fleck’s in the middle, calling out a player from each side to meet in on the “M” logo at the 50-yard line.

Once, it’s starting linebacker Jon Celestin, known as “Thumper” for his big hits, versus Nate Wozniak, an imposing 6-foot-10 tight end. Wozniak blocks as Celestin fights though it. Afterward, teammates mob the winner like the crowd to a frontman at rock concert.

Travis’ description matches Fleck’s own chaos theory.

“I want them to grow in organized chaos, and that’s what we create at practice,” Fleck said. “It’s very organized, but it’s chaotic. That’s what the game is like. The game can be chaotic at times.”

Running back Rodney Smith was mightily successful under the old format curated by fired head coach Tracy Claeys. Smith, who rushed 240 times for 1,158 yards and 16 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2016, acknowledged it was a “challenge” to adopt to the new pace.

“Everything is up-tempo, and they challenge us everyday to change our best,” Smith told the Pioneer Press. “I think the guys that stay around, I think they really enjoy it. You can see guys flying around, buying in.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/2...lecks-frenetic-practices-are-organized-chaos/

Go Gophers!!

We have snappy catch-phrases(ELITE, Row The Boat) and a oddly spelled acronym (HYPRR) for us to talk about. It was about time to add an oxymoron to the mix.

Interesting quotes open to some interpretation:

“Everything is up-tempo, and they challenge us everyday to change our best,” Smith told the Pioneer Press. “I think the guys that stay around, I think they really enjoy it. You can see guys flying around, buying in.”

“We actually have coaching points on catching kickoff returns and punts,” Smith said. “So it’s a change, and it’s a good thing.”

We actually have coaching points on catching kickoff returns and punts,” Smith said. “So it’s a change, and it’s a good thing.”

This explains the confusion of our punt returners last year. No one was telling them to actually catch the ball!

This explains the confusion of our punt returners last year. No one was telling them to actually catch the ball!

I was thinking more of the Craig James experiment, but yeah Woli's flubs also come to mind. No confidence on when to fair catch, catch and run, or let it roll, etc leading to huge and damaging errors. If the above is true it's very disappointing. Special teams blocking has also been called out in years past. Similar to WR, QB development just seemed to be a weak spot in the prior staff.

I have cringed on nearly every punt catch/return/etc the past 5-years or so. I never felt anything good would happen and always felt something bad could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“We actually have coaching points on catching kickoff returns and punts,” Smith said. “So it’s a change, and it’s a good thing.”

The special teams quote was the biggest thing that caught my eye. The Craig James punt-return era is still fresh in my memory.

Top Bottom