STrib: P.J. Fleck committed to 4-3 defense, even with thinner defensive end corps

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe;

P.J. Fleck is committed to running a 4-3 base defense with the Gophers, and that hasn't changed, even with two holes now at defensive end.

One starting defensive end, Hendrick Ekpe, graduated, and another, Gaelin Elmore, announced Thursday that he was transferring. Ekpe and Elmore didn't compile big numbers during their Gophers careers -- 14 tackles for a loss for Ekpe, 9.5 for Elmore -- but they played big minutes for successful defenses.

Now, the two leading candidates to start at defensive end are sophomores Winston DeLattiboudere and Tai'yon Devers. Both made their presence felt as freshmen last fall, with DeLattiboudere making 3.5 tackles for a loss, and Devers making three.

All three of those for Devers came on electrifying sacks that forced fumbles. But he is still a young player who's growing into his frame, currently listed at 215 pounds. Ekpe was listed at 240, and Elmore 275. Until he fills out, Devers will remain somewhat of a liability against the run. This fall's schedule includes Michigan State, Iowa, Michigan, Northwestern and Wisconsin -- teams that can flourish running downhill.

With a slew of talented pass-rushing linebackers, the Gophers became more of a hybrid defense last year under former coordinator Jay Sawvel. They still had a 4-3 base, but incorporated the 3-4 more and more.

http://m.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-...defensive-end-corps/417033594/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Duh!! This is what people in the know said. Then we get a few on this board say welll we have so many LBs we have to play a 3-4. Sorry folks its not that easy. U are going to play what u know.

Was discussed in detail last year on GH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, let's talk about something different, what do you think of PJ vs Claeys?

You're right, let's talk about something different, what do you think of PJ vs Claeys?

I like them both. Why?

I like them both. Why?

We won't be able to fill up a dozen pages with that sort of brevity.

I'm guessing the jucos will be scoured next year for linemen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the jucos will be scoured next year for linemen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fleck doesn't like JUCOs, but will be forced to take 1-2 like he did this class with Silver.

For this coming season, we have 14 DL listed on the roster, which includes the incoming freshman.
The DT starters were solid last year and should be just as good this season, if not better.
The DE starters last year we ok and we lost a few. Will be a little inexperienced at that position, but there is some talent.
It's not easy switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 as a base defense. Glad PJF is sticking with the 4-3.
After this year, we will lose 3 DT's, making our interior DL a big question mark going into 18.
The incoming freshman this year can hopefully redshirt, bulk up and be ready to go in 18. Along with that PJF can recruit a few more DT's and maybe he can even get one who is ready to start from day 1 similar to Steven Richardson.
I don't believe we will be that lacking in depth and talent in two years.

Top Bottom