P.J. Fleck talks Conor Rhoda, Antoine Winfield Jr. and positional depth

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

The Gopher football team practiced inside TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday afternoon with over 100 junior recruits visiting campus this weekend. Tempo continued to be a theme throughout the session as the players flew between drills and worked 1-on-1 with coaches. Head coach P.J. Fleck said he wants to consistently test his players. With only three of the 12 total installs implemented, Fleck said their “how” is being tested.

“How mentally tough are they?” Fleck said.

Fleck is testing the players’ ability to respond to adversity through a variety of organized situations in practice. He said inexperience is showing up on offense, but it is related to players having limited exposure to games.

“There’s not a lot of experience out there that has played a ton of football on the offensive side,” he said.

Fleck said it won’t get any easier as the 2018 roster will be younger in almost every way next year. With limited depth up front on both sides of the ball, the coaches will value the experience young players receive this year.

“We are going to get a lot younger in 2018 than we actually are going to get older,” Fleck noted. “The D-Line depth, the offensive line-depth, we have to establish more depth here.”

READ MORE: http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/773980?referrer_id=331171

I love the comments about Winfield. The kid had a near death experience and he is going to make the most of the game he loves going forward.

“There’s not a lot of experience out there that has played a ton of football on the offensive side,” he said.

READ MORE: http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/773980?referrer_id=331171

Returns 7 of top 10 offensive linemen from two deep (starters Greene, Weyler, Wright, Calhoun, back ups Connelly, Oseland, Dovich; all upper classmen; adds Olson, who was good enough to be in two-deep but redshirted. Adds redshirted coveted recruit Oseland)

Returns all the tight ends in two deep (including NFL talent senior Lingen, fifth year guy Wozniak, third year guys Beebe, Witham, redshirt Kieft). Maybe adds Seth?

Returns Three of top four WRs that were in two deep (Carter, Still, Tyler) plus upper classmen Holland Register, Gentry, and two good redshirt in Hmielewski and Holland...and Mark Williams?

Returns top 3 running backs. Two possible pre season all big type talent. Two fourth year guys, and third year guy.

Returns guy who got all the back up snaps plus some game experience in Rhoda. Returns guy who got the back up snaps and game experience in 2015 in Croft. Has guy who ran the Scout team.

Returns nice offensive weapons in all big kicker Carpenter, big legged punter Santoso.

Returns all the tight ends in two deep (including NFL talent senior Lingen,

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/l3q2K5jinAlChoCLS" width="408.73362445414847" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/mashable-l3q2K5jinAlChoCLS">via GIPHY</a></p>

No and he seems to have a chronic inury considering he's still not practicing.

Returns 7 of top 10 offensive linemen from two deep (starters Greene, Weyler, Wright, Calhoun, back ups Connelly, Oseland, Dovich; all upper classmen; adds Olson, who was good enough to be in two-deep but redshirted. Adds redshirted coveted recruit Oseland)

Returns all the tight ends in two deep (including NFL talent senior Lingen, fifth year guy Wozniak, third year guys Beebe, Witham, redshirt Kieft). Maybe adds Seth?

Returns Three of top four WRs that were in two deep (Carter, Still, Tyler) plus upper classmen Holland Register, Gentry, and two good redshirt in Hmielewski and Holland...and Mark Williams?

Returns top 3 running backs. Two possible pre season all big type talent. Two fourth year guys, and third year guy.

Returns guy who got all the back up snaps plus some game experience in Rhoda. Returns guy who got the back up snaps and game experience in 2015 in Croft. Has guy who ran the Scout team.

Returns nice offensive weapons in all big kicker Carpenter, big legged punter Santoso.

Good points...PJ seems to be pushing the negative to allay expectations.

No and he seems to have a chronic inury considering he's still not practicing.

He came into the program sort of a gangly kid that suffered by comparson to Maxx but Lingen was turning into an athletic weapon in 2015 and he could block. It cannot be overstated how much Mitch missed him last season. Absolutely had/has potential to be drafted IMO. Absolutely hope he makes it back from his shoulder, clavicle, and foot injuries as he seems like a perfect fit for Fleck's O.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_uHBFiAnpZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2015 highlights

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NfIz-exXJ-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You think the notion that a healthy Lingen has NFL potential is so crazy that you embedded that dumb gif?

1. He's not healthy
2. He had two really good games in 2015 outside of that he hasn't done much to prove he's an NFL talent IMO

That being said I hope he recovers and has a great senior year.

428 yards and he didn't play in 3 games.

2 games over 100 yards.

Tight end.

If that's your chosen measuring stick, how many 100 yard games did Maxx have here?

I'll wait.

428 yards and he didn't play in 3 games.

2 games over 100 yards.

Tight end.

If that's your chosen measuring stick, how many 100 yard games did Maxx have here?

I'll wait.

Not sure why you're comparing him to Maxx Williams kind of setting the bar a little bit high don't you think? But to answer your question he had 0 100 yard games his last year. How many times were they double teamed? How many time were they targated? I'm sure you know yards doesn't tell the whole story. Not saying he isn't a good college player but saying he's an NFL talent is a stretch IMO.

I think you're making Fleck's point Swingman. Half the guys you mention do not have experience, or have not played a lot, or are special team players. In my opinion, the only offensive positions that are experienced/played a ton are RBs and TEs. O-line has some experience, QB and WR not much.

Not sure why you're comparing him to Maxx Williams kind of setting the bar a little bit high don't you think? But to answer your question he had 0 100 yard games his last year. How many times were they double teamed? How many time were they targated? I'm sure you know yards doesn't tell the whole story. Not saying he isn't a good college player but saying he's an NFL talent is a stretch IMO.

Comparing a TE to a TE is confusing to you?

Comparing a TE to a TE is confusing to you?

It's not confusing it's just not a useful comparison given Lingen's lack of consistency. It does seem silly to call him an NFL level player when there is so little evidence to base that on. He's certainly looked better than Woz as an overall TE, but there is way too much homerism in extrapolating that out to NFL player.

It's not confusing it's just not a useful comparison given Lingen's lack of consistency. It does seem silly to call him an NFL level player when there is so little evidence to base that on. He's certainly looked better than Woz as an overall TE, but there is way too much homerism in extrapolating that out to NFL player.

In 2015 the coaching staff compared him to Maxx, and it seems you guys have forgotten what was said then. They said he could likely be better than Maxx if he could stay healthy. So I think comparing him to Maxx is fair. It's not like Maxx has gone to the NFL and become the top TE in the NFL.

If he could just stay healthy for 1 full season there is no doubt he is NFL talent, he blocks better than Maxx could dream of. He just needs to stay healthy.

And Johnny and Weather have signed on as his top advocates of having no talent this fall.

It is really bizarre how, in one offseason, we went from 9 wins being a massive disappointment to considering ourselves lucky to scrape out 5 wins and have a sufficiently high APR to qualify for a bowl game. And all we had to do was pay a coach $3.5M to lower those expectations!

And Johnny and Weather have signed on as his top advocates of having no talent this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have me confused with someone else. Just because I think Claeys was a meh coach doesn't mean I think there is no talent. There's limited depth but decent talent on the roster.

It is really bizarre how, in one offseason, we went from 9* wins being a massive disappointment to considering ourselves lucky to scrape out 5 wins and have a sufficiently high APR to qualify for a bowl game. And all we had to do was pay a coach $3.5M to lower those expectations!

FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is really bizarre how, in one offseason, we went from 9 wins being a massive disappointment to considering ourselves lucky to scrape out 5 wins and have a sufficiently high APR to qualify for a bowl game. And all we had to do was pay a coach $3.5M to lower those expectations!

Everything is such extremes with you. A few people point out that there may be some bumps in the road when you change coaches and systems and you push it to us barely winning any games.

The facts are that none of us know what the immediate impact to next season will be, but we do know that systems have changed and some experienced players have left. The number of wins we have next season will not be the measure of success for PJ, it will be the number of wins we consistently have over the next 5+ years. The AD felt that the program had peaked under the old coaches and he decided that PJ would give us a better chance to go further.

So, you can continue to cry in your beer about what may have been, or how fair you think it was, but none of that really matters. So now is the time to show how much of a Gopher fan you really are and stop griping and hope for the best. We all know that PJ doesn't really conform to our typical understated, modest Minnesota values, but maybe that is what we need to attract the better recruits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everything is such extremes with you. A few people point out that there may be some bumps in the road when you change coaches and systems and you push it to us barely winning any games.

The facts are that none of us know what the immediate impact to next season will be, but we do know that systems have changed and some experienced players have left. The number of wins we have next season will not be the measure of success for PJ, it will be the number of wins we consistently have over the next 5+ years. The AD felt that the program had peaked under the old coaches and he decided that PJ would give us a better chance to go further.

So, you can continue to cry in your beer about what may have been, or how fair you think it was, but none of that really matters. So now is the time to show how much of a Gopher fan you really are and stop griping and hope for the best. We all know that PJ doesn't really conform to our typical understated, modest Minnesota values, but maybe that is what we need to attract the better recruits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The last coach was fired after his rookie season netted 9 wins. Yet, you project 5+ years with the next coach. Seems like a double standard.

The last coach was fired after his rookie season netted 9 wins. Yet, you project 5+ years with the next coach. Seems like a double standard.

It's called an AD believing that 2016 was the best Claeys could do and that he was not a sustainable option. It's called an AD putting his own job on the line to better the program with a belief in PJ Fleck.

That is straight trolling. No QB experience, players kicked out of school, transfers, schedule, new coaches, etc. etc. They all play a roll.

What is the asterisk for? Did we get wins by the other team forfeiting or by NCAA sanction? If not then your asterisk is just you being wrong and fixing nothing.

How about we all see what happens before we start vilifying everyone else. Geez this reminds me of politics! After all I'm sure everyone on this board is "all in" for our favorite college team! Yes people might like one coach better than another, I was a Claeys backer, a Kill backer, a Brewster backer etc. need to support our team! Ask questions yes, issue challenges...yes. Turn our backs...no. See you at the Bank!

Top Bottom