IU makes it official and announces Archie Miller from Dayton will be the new HC

GopherLady

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Be surprised if he didn't follow Miller to IU...there's playing time available right away at the PG spot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Damn, I was hoping they'd get Steve Alford. Archie Miller is a far superior coach.

At least they didn't get Billy Donovan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be interesting. Mckinley once again is reminded of what could have been if he hadn't dragged his feet. But I'm glad he did, I'm stoked for Washington.

How is it creepy to be excited for one of our best recruits in decades. LateNightHoops actually made his own cartoon, please don't put me in the same category as him. The hostility for fellow posters on this board is getting unbearable. Not exactly a welcoming place to discuss Gopher hoops.

Very good hire for IU. Probably their best realistic option. I had hoped for our sake they wouldn't get him.

Great hire. Feel terrible for McKinley Wright (and any other guys who sign with one coach only to have him leave). It will be interesting to see if Miller gives him the chance to follow him to IU and if he does. I have no idea what the roster situation is at IU.

IU will recover more quickly than I thought they might.

Great hire. Feel terrible for McKinley Wright (and any other guys who sign with one coach only to have him leave). It will be interesting to see if Miller gives him the chance to follow him to IU and if he does. I have no idea what the roster situation is at IU.

IU will recover more quickly than I thought they might.

Never hurts to have championship banners in the rafters.

Good hire for IU be interesting to see who sticks around on their roster and as far as recruits go

Keep an eye on McKinley, just heard something pretty interesting...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They offered 2 different candidates 4.7 million. They decided last night that they would not offer Alford as Glass wanted a coach with a clean history on and off the court. They ended up with a spectacular coach who will win huge at IU

They offered 2 different candidates 4.7 million. They decided last night that they would not offer Alford as Glass wanted a coach with a clean history on and off the court. They ended up with a spectacular coach who will win huge at IU

Miller is a brilliant hire and far better than Alford. I have been watching Dayton for a few years, and I have been very impressed with the type of players Miller has recruited and even more impressed with the style of play they exhibit.

Miller was the guy I wanted hired when Pitino has hired and the guy I wanted hired if Pitino was fired. IU is right in the middle of his comfort zone, not that far from Dayton, so this is a seamless logistic transition for him in terms of relationships and knowing the terrain. Miller was able to recruit better than the average A10 player to Dayton, and at IU he will start pulling in more Kentucky like talent. In reality Crean was bringing some of that talent as well, but he is about half as good of an X/O coach as Archie Miller.

I think the Big Ten has added two very solid coaches this year, and Gard has proven he was a great hire at Wisconsin.

The Big Ten is now stacked with great coaches. We can only hope OSU and Michigan make some bad hires when their coaches leave. (Matta is not very healthy, and Beleiin is getting pretty old) I am not sure who the weak line is in the Big Ten coaching ranks now. Penn State is a thankless job, but if Chambers can keep getting all these Philly ballplayers, they will get better as well.

Miller is a brilliant hire and far better than Alford. I have been watching Dayton for a few years, and I have been very impressed with the type of players Miller has recruited and even more impressed with the style of play they exhibit.

Miller was the guy I wanted hired when Pitino has hired and the guy I wanted hired if Pitino was fired. IU is right in the middle of his comfort zone, not that far from Dayton, so this is a seamless logistic transition for him in terms of relationships and knowing the terrain. Miller was able to recruit better than the average A10 player to Dayton, and at IU he will start pulling in more Kentucky like talent. In reality Crean was bringing some of that talent as well, but he is about half as good of an X/O coach as Archie Miller.

I think the Big Ten has added two very solid coaches this year, and Gard has proven he was a great hire at Wisconsin.

The Big Ten is now stacked with great coaches. We can only hope OSU and Michigan make some bad hires when their coaches leave. (Matta is not very healthy, and Beleiin is getting pretty old) I am not sure who the weak line is in the Big Ten coaching ranks now. Penn State is a thankless job, but if Chambers can keep getting all these Philly ballplayers, they will get better as well.

Can't disagree with any of that. B1G coaches look pretty solid all around. Just added two who have not missed the NCAA tournament the last 4 years in a row.

Thad Matta has been battling a terrible back and will have surgery very soon. If he was going to step down Miller would have had the Ohio St. job. The Big 10 just got a whole lot tougher at the top with the Miller hire. There are few who teach basketball better than Archie Miller. He will have IU back to elite status within 3 years. He has very strong ties with high school coaches in 5 key states and with that brand will do well nationally. He will recruit talent like Crean but will have a defined criteria of discipline on and off the court and extreme toughness and defense on it. With Archie it will be all fundamentals all the time. UW has had a feast beating teams from IU not because of talent but by making teams like IU beat themselves. IU under Knight beat UW 30 plus times in a row, since KNIGHT IU has been a cruise for UW. Those days of IU beating themselves is officially over.

I'm of the belief that college basketball is more interesting when historically great programs like Indiana are great, not mediocre, so while adding another terrific coach to our conference makes the Gophers' mission that much more difficult, the Big Ten and college basketball are better off for having Archie Miller join the ranks.

Rising tide lifts all boats. The better the Big10 is from top to bottom, the more financially strong the conference grows.

I'm of the belief that college basketball is more interesting when historically great programs like Indiana are great, not mediocre, so while adding another terrific coach to our conference makes the Gophers' mission that much more difficult, the Big Ten and college basketball are better off for having Archie Miller join the ranks.
I could go for two decades of mediocre UNC and KY teams.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...iu-contract-worth-least-24-million/431329001/

Millers contract includes an interesting scheduling incentive:

Archie Miller's first contract as Indiana basketball coach, worth at least $24 million, includes incentives and bonuses that could see Miller paid more than any IU coach in history.

$125,000 for any nonconference schedule that, when finalized, does not include more than one regular-season opponent with an RPI rating of 300 or above, with ratings determined by the previous season's final number, per espn.com.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...iu-contract-worth-least-24-million/431329001/

Millers contract includes an interesting scheduling incentive:

Archie Miller's first contract as Indiana basketball coach, worth at least $24 million, includes incentives and bonuses that could see Miller paid more than any IU coach in history.

$125,000 for any nonconference schedule that, when finalized, does not include more than one regular-season opponent with an RPI rating of 300 or above, with ratings determined by the previous season's final number, per espn.com.

That's a direct salvo at Tom Crean. The Pacing & Clapping Man scheduled a ton of 300+ cupcakes pretty much every year.

It doesn't appear Archie is going for the personal money grab in his first season. Hoosiers currently have 2 opponents of 300+ on their non-conference schedule, USF (#316) and Howard (#339).

Top Bottom