3-star DE Abi Okonji Commits!

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Coach Fleck and the Minnesota Golden Gophers landed their seventh verbal in the class of 2018 via Snellville, GA (South Gwinnett) 3-star DE Abi Okonji.

The 6-foot-3, 240-pound defensive end chose Minnesota over more than a dozen other offers, including programs such as; Boston College, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Rutgers and others.

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Gophers-Land-3-star-Georgia-DE-Abi-Okonji-51961494

Recruiting Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Abi-Okonji-93106

Nice to see us beating out Michigan State for some guys, instead of the usual illinois and purdue. I know MSU wasn't any better last year, but they've been near the top of the conference for a long time before that.

Interestingly he plays CB and WR in the hudl video I watched. If he's truly a DE, he's going to need to pack on some pounds before he's ready for the B1G.

Interestingly he plays CB and WR in the hudl video I watched. If he's truly a DE, he's going to need to pack on some pounds before he's ready for the B1G.

I think you got the wrong video.

Snellville, GA is Gopher country

If we can continue and even deepen this relationship with schools, recruits in the greater ATL area, it will be huge for us. As Delta hubs, it's a natural fit for easy, cheap travel (not for PJF, but everyone else) and for the players heading back home once they come to the U.

It's heartening to see the Georgia pipeline pioneered by Coach Anderson is still functioning. I agree that the Delta connection is part of the reason we're successful there.

Here's his video. Reminds me a bit of Hendrick Ekpe, not a blazing first step (ala Devers), but pretty solid all around. Welcome aboard!

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6164299/5721e61adfe23b2d68cb04b2' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

per CBS:

Coach Fleck and the Minnesota Golden Gophers landed their seventh verbal in the class of 2018 via Snellville, GA (South Gwinnett) 3-star DE Abi Okonji.
Abi and his father flew into town last night, when he gave Coach Mo and Fleck his verbal commitment, and will spend the weekend in Dinkytown visiting the University of Minnesota campus.

The 6-foot-3, 240-pound defensive end chose Minnesota over more than a dozen other offers, including programs such as; Boston College, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Rutgers and others.

Okonji joins fellow South Gwinnett teammate Terell Smith as a member of the Gophers class, that no ranks No. 14 nationally and is still No. 5 in the Big Ten.

Abi is currently rated the No. 21 Strong-Side D-End in the country on 247Sports with a Composite grading to-date of 0.8422. 247Sports Crystal Ball was accurate in predicting the Gophers, though held just one prediction at the time of Abi’s verbal.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/breaking-gophers-land-3-star-georgia-de-abi-okonji/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Is that his Dad? Does he have any eligibility left?

Remember when it was hard to land d-lineman?

Man this kid had a lot of great offers coming out, I was really excited for him to get out on the field but hasn't happened yet. With some of the guys that are graduating I thought he'd get some playing time but he must not be in the mix. Best of luck to you Abi!

Top Bottom