Regents Look to Commission Independent Investigation of Gophers Football Investigatio

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The University of Minnesota Board of Regents is expected to commission an independent investigation that will "review and assess the facts and processes related" to the investigation of 10 Gophers football players relating to an alleged sexual assault incident.

The Board of Regents is meeting Friday in Duluth where a resolution will be presented titled, "Initiate an Independent Investigation."

The resolution will cover the events spanning from Sept. 2, 2016, to March 24, 2017.

The incident between a female student and several members of the Gophers football team resulted in an investigation by the Minneapolis Police Department and the university.

The Hennepin County Attorney's Office declined to press charges after reviewing the case.

Ten players were initially suspended, which led to players threatening to boycott a Dec. 27, 2016, bowl game, "leading to a national and international story detrimental to the University's reputation and standing in Minnesota and beyond," the resolution states.

After a university EOAA investigation, four players were expelled and one suspended.

The provost then reviewed player appeals of the EOAA decision and upheld one suspension and one expulsion.

The board seeks a full report returned no later than May 5, according to the resolution.

http://www.kaaltv.com/article/stories/S4435050.shtml?cat=10728

Go Gophers!!

If there was ever an investigation that needed to be investigated, this was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone should be happy about this, regardless of where you fell on the issue. An independent investigation into the process, how it works, and what should be changed/improved.

Although, people will still find things to be mad about.

Everyone should be happy about this, regardless of where you fell on the issue. An independent investigation into the process, how it works, and what should be changed/improved.

Although, people will still find things to be mad about.

I doubt it. At last count there were only 3 people left in the State that felt the EOAA process was conducted well and fairly.

correct, although it I possible it could still result in some recommendations even more stupid.

correct, although it I possible it could still result in some recommendations even more stupid.

Pretty sure that's not where the focus will be.

As I've posted many times, it was just a matter of time before BoR would take action. Many ridiculed me and characterized the Chair as clueless and way over his head. Johnson is highly educated (Army War College Masters in Strategy), a very experienced politician, and an Army General. He knows exactly what he is doing. He tipped off everyone when he spoke publicly about his concerns with the proof threshold and lack of due process, which he stated he had discussed several times with Kaler.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/24/umn-regents-to-review-punishment-of-gopher-football-players/

The statement itself is contained in link above. Anyone thinking this will be any type of review of how the actual EOAA "investigation" was handled is going to be disappointed.

It's interesting how the far right and far left ally themselves on this issue. No mention given to fairness, basic human rights in the university document; rather deplorable sex acts and purported protection of women (at any and all cost) by releasing the men into the general population, an interesting take.

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents is expected to commission an independent investigation that will "review and assess the facts and processes related" to the investigation of 10 Gophers football players relating to an alleged sexual assault incident.

The Board of Regents is meeting Friday in Duluth where a resolution will be presented titled, "Initiate an Independent Investigation."

The resolution will cover the events spanning from Sept. 2, 2016, to March 24, 2017.

The incident between a female student and several members of the Gophers football team resulted in an investigation by the Minneapolis Police Department and the university.

The Hennepin County Attorney's Office declined to press charges after reviewing the case.

Ten players were initially suspended, which led to players threatening to boycott a Dec. 27, 2016, bowl game, "leading to a national and international story detrimental to the University's reputation and standing in Minnesota and beyond," the resolution states.

After a university EOAA investigation, four players were expelled and one suspended.

The provost then reviewed player appeals of the EOAA decision and upheld one suspension and one expulsion.

The board seeks a full report returned no later than May 5, according to the resolution.

Go Gophers!!

Verges is the latest journalist to get the basic facts of the case wrong. Five were recommeded for expulsion, four for 1 year suspension, and one for 1 year probation (EOAA recommendations confirmed by the office of student conduct).

The student board overturned Djam's expulsion, eliminated 3 suspensions, and one probation. The provost eliminated another suspension on appeal.

Thus, only 4 of the original 10 EOAA recommendations were upheld, not five.

Verges is the latest journalist to get the basic facts of the case wrong. Five were recommeded for expulsion, four for 1 year suspension, and one for 1 year probation (EOAA recommendations confirmed by the office of student conduct).

The student board overturned Djam's expulsion, eliminated 3 suspensions, and one probation. The provost eliminated another suspension on appeal.

Thus, only 4 of the original 10 EOAA recommendations were upheld, not five.

Also from the article: Five others will not be punished, attorney Ryan Pacyga said. They are Antoine Winfield Jr., Mark Williams, Kobe McCrary, Antonio Shenault and Seth Green.

There is a HUGE difference between the connotations of "Will not be punished" and "Cleared of wrongdoing."

Is Shipley ghost-writing for him?

My understanding is Michigan St.'s investigation is being done by an outside law firm.... that seems like a good choice.

We should farm the whole system to some outside group with some professionals who get how this kind of thing should be done.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/24/umn-regents-to-review-punishment-of-gopher-football-players/

The statement itself is contained in link above. Anyone thinking this will be any type of review of how the actual EOAA "investigation" was handled is going to be disappointed.

Statement? Do you mean the resolution? There was no formal resolution presented and voted on by the BoR.

First sentance of the article...

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents on Friday announced it will review the disciplinary decisions that followed an alleged sexual assault by several Gopher football players.

Would think that includes the investigation and its recommendations.

Johnson's quote after the meeting...

In an interview after the meeting, Johnson said the review will cover documents and personnel involved.

We agreed as regents we wanted to review the policies of the student code of conduct universitywide: the policies, the protocol, the practice. Were things done correctly?” he said.

Seems to be a pretty broad review in my estimation.

I about fell over when I saw this in the digital news today of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. The Regents I guess have a right to investigate what took place, but please tread carefully in the end as to what has already happened. I'm sick of this never ending process.

Statement? Do you mean the resolution? There was no formal resolution presented and voted on by the BoR.

First sentance of the article...

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents on Friday announced it will review the disciplinary decisions that followed an alleged sexual assault by several Gopher football players.

Would think that includes the investigation and its recommendations.

Johnson's quote after the meeting...

In an interview after the meeting, Johnson said the review will cover documents and personnel involved.

We agreed as regents we wanted to review the policies of the student code of conduct universitywide: the policies, the protocol, the practice. Were things done correctly?” he said.

Seems to be a pretty broad review in my estimation.

Might be, but I think there is a concern that the folks pushing for it have a particular outcome in mind for the actual football investigation. At least two didn't think the players should have been un-suspended between the complaint and the school investigation.... that I think raises some concern on what the point is... did they just not like the outcome?

Regents Michael Hsu and Darrin Rosha have criticized athletics director Mark Coyle and U President Eric Kaler for lifting the suspensions of four players in October, when prosecutors announced they would not be charged, only to suspend the same players and six others in December.

I bet they don't find anything. Seems like a good way to waste some time I suppose.

Might be, but I think there is a concern that the folks pushing for it have a particular outcome in mind for the actual football investigation. At least two didn't think the players should have been un-suspended between the complaint and the school investigation.... that I think raises some concern on what the point is... did they just not like the outcome?

Those two have been on record as having issues with how the EOAA handles Title IX complaints. Knowing that, I took some of the language as irony and a shot at both Kaler and Coyle...culture anybody? Anyway, it was not brought forward or voted on by the BoR.

When this is all done will the investigators be investigated???

Well this is investigating the investigators. I suppose there's a chance of investigating the investigation of the investigation..by new investigators.

I can only hope that Kaler and Coyle get a dull axe to a private part for their handling of this **** storm

Read the PP article that actually has the resolution. The third to last and second to last paragraphs of the RESOLUTION establishing the review state:

"WHEREAS, inconsistent statements and descriptions of the events have been provided regarding the
timing and basis for actions and decisions by the administration; and

WHEREAS, the lifting of the original suspensions during the EOAA investigation and the impact on
the reporting student of doing so appear inconsistent with the Regents’ commitment to addressing the
issue of sexual assault on campus and protecting those who report sexual assault."

So it seems they're very concerned about the lifting of the original four suspensions after no criminal charges were filed. That seems to be where their interest lies. I wish they would look at improving the process of determining the original verdict and recommendations, but I don't see that in the text of the resolution.

It will be interesting to find who leaked what information, what basis was used for a decision to re-suspend the original players involved, and then why the others where added to the list.

Go Gophers!!
Will the results be delivered in the hands of a 9 year old child? If not, it clearly won't deserve anyone's attention.

I still hope Winfield sues them for millions.

Why just Winfield? Why not Green, Shenault, McCrary, and Williams? I don't understand why some seem to be identifying him as more wronged, or more righteous, than others. They each have every right to be very upset with how this all went down.

Why just Winfield? Why not Green, Shenault, McCrary, and Williams? I don't understand why some seem to be identifying him as more wronged, or more righteous, than others. They each have every right to be very upset with how this all went down.

Well we know Williams family would be likely to have resources to do that, don't know about the others.

I doubt it. At last count there were only 3 people left in the State that felt the EOAA process was conducted well and fairly.

Wrong buddy. Coyle n Kaler don't THINK that, they just SAY it. They know damn better.

They want the results before Kaler's performance review. Clouds are looming.

Top Bottom