Pioneer Press: Gophers’ QB battle has one fewer player, and a former Pro Bowler watch

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The Gophers’ quarterback competition had one fewer entrant and an honorary guest during Thursday’s practice.

Freshman quarterback Mark Williams is exploring a position switch and will try out at wide receiver, cornerback and safety during spring practices, coach P.J. Fleck said. Williams also practiced at wideout during his redshirt year in 2016.

“Right now, I feel like he’s best suited at those spots,” Fleck said. “If I feel like we have to move him back to quarterback, we will. But I feel like we are far enough along at quarterback and have some depth there.”

Meanwhile, Rich Gannon watched the remaining six Minnesota QBs during practice at the Gibson Nagurski Football Complex. The 17-year NFL vet, who started his career with the Vikings from 1987-92, has been an acquaintance of Fleck and his staff for a while.

When Gannon asked if he could help, Fleck said he and his staff welcomed the four-time Pro Bowl player with open arms.

“First of all, it’s an honor,” Fleck said. “That is Rich Gannon. … We were actually talking back there about some of our quarterbacks. He goes, ‘That guy reminds me of me. You know why? Because all I did was manage the offense and threw to the right people and made people around me better. You don’t have to have this big arm, you don’t have to have this stylish thing. You just have to be efficient. You have to make decisive decisions.’ And that’s what Rich was all about.”

Which quarterback was Gannon referring to: Conor Rhoda, Demry Croft, Tanner Morgan, Seth Green, Neil McLaurin?

“One of them,” Fleck responded. “He was talking about one of them.”

On Tuesday, Fleck didn’t mention Seth Green, a former QB for East Ridge, or McLaurin, a junior college transfer from Mississippi, in his comments about standouts in the position battle to replace Mitch Leidner. Fleck noticed how that omission was shared in news reports.

“I saw what was written earlier, so now I was like, ‘I just got to talk broad,’ ” Fleck said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/2...r-player-and-a-former-pro-bowler-watching-it/

Go Gophers!!

Not wrong.

He likely said that because he saw how people reacted when he forgot to explicitly mention Green and McLaurin (I.e. they figured they weren't being considered.). So he wanted to be as vague as possible.

He likely said that because he saw how people reacted when he forgot to explicitly mention Green and McLaurin (I.e. they figured they weren't being considered.). So he wanted to be as vague as possible.

You mean exactly what Fleck said in the article about why he was being vague?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vague is always the best way to go.

Until you lose games... then you're an idiot who can't make up his mind.

But if you win games .... it means you're a sneaky genius.

spring ball, time for someone to emerge will be interesting!!

Top Bottom