All Things 2017 Sweet 16 and Elite 8 Games Thread

Damn I turned it off because I was so disgusted by Florida, but then they turn around to win on a miracle. I missed seeing the Badgers pain, but happy they lost whichever way it happened.

Gosh, I feel so bad for those heartbroken Badgers. :);):D:eek::rolleyes::clap::cheer::cool03::rockon::drink:

ESPN had a front page story today about thete being no buzzer beaters in this tournament.
Well, there's one!

Anyone else think Hayes should have missed the 2nd FT? Going up 2 does little as Florida was probably going to shoot a 3. Making it enabled FL to set up a play.

After Showalter hitting that stupid shot to send it to overtime, seeing them lose on the same sort of bull$hit is very satisfying.

OK, I was wrong. Maybe nobody deserves to win this. Stuffed by the white guy who shoots granny free throws.

That guy shoots like 90% on free throws

Lynch needs shoot granny free throws, actually anyone who shoots under 70% should, pride loses games.

The mechanics of a granny shot makes it way easier.

I really can't believe the analytics guys are not pushing it.

Florida somehow overcomes screwing up in almost every way the last 3-4 minutes of regulation. I'll take it.:)

UND lost in 2OT and Wisconsin lost on a buzzer beater what a great day.

Lynch needs shoot granny free throws, actually anyone who shoots under 70% should, pride loses games.

I wonder if it's actually more of a challenge at first to learn how to shoot granny free throws. Overhand free throws are probably more mechanically similar to a normal jumpshot, where granny free throws are maybe their own technique that has to be learned separately. I don't actually know, just hazarding a guess as to why more players don't do it, since it does seem to be a better way to shoot them. It could also just be because underhand free throws look kinda silly.

Anyone else think Hayes should have missed the 2nd FT? Going up 2 does little as Florida was probably going to shoot a 3. Making it enabled FL to set up a play.

Tried explaining this exact point to my dogs.

Up 2 with 4 seconds left is meaningless. You either lose by 1 or win by 2. Up 1 with time running sooner means that shot is from 1/2 court.

Rumor has it that Gard told him to miss and he accidentally made the FT!:clap:

That's how bad a FT shooter he is . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's about a routine and making yourself comfortable. Are there metrics that suggest the ball is more likely to go in when flight starts from an upward trajectory as opposed to a downward one?

Rumor has it that Gard told him to miss and he accidentally made the FT!:clap:

Now the Greg Gard era "officially" starts in Madison. Will be interesting to see if he is for real or living of Bo's success.

Fitting end for the Skunks. Send it to overtime on a miracle shot and then get beat at the end on a prayer. Lovin' it.

It's about a routine and making yourself comfortable. Are there metrics that suggest the ball is more likely to go in when flight starts from an upward trajectory as opposed to a downward one?

Thinking about the physics of it, I think shooting underhanded would mean that the ball can reach its peak height closer to the rim. This means the ball doesn't go as high, and doesn't bounce as hard when hitting the rim, which I think would leave a greater margin of error for shooting left or right, or too hard or too soft. Couldn't tell you how much that might affect someone's percentage though.

Now the Greg Gard era "officially" starts in Madison. Will be interesting to see if he is for real or living of Bo's success.

I guess we we will find out. But with that experienced of a roster I think Bo would have gone about 15-3 in the Big Ten and probably been a 2nd or 3rd seed in the tourney.

It's really a shame. The sting of a tourney loss wears off over time. But losing on a buzzer beater? Those are replayed over the years over and over and over...

Yeah, heck of a game. I only wish we could be as relevant as them at some point. Sigh, been saying that for 20 years.

Hat tip to the Badgers. Getting to the sweet sixteen as an eight seed is a great accomplishment. Playing in a game that will have its conclusion included in tournament highlights for years to come is quite an honor. Being so fundamentally sound and losing at the free throw line is a lesson all young players can learn something from.

Hat tip to the Badgers. Getting to the sweet sixteen as an eight seed is a great accomplishment. Playing in a game that will have its conclusion included in tournament highlights for years to come is quite an honor. Being so fundamentally sound and losing at the free throw line is a lesson all young players can learn something from.

Yeah. They were a fun team to watch. Mad that SEC is doing so well in this tourney.

That's the OT story here: the Badgers were trading one for two in squandering their 5-point lead with a minute left. Why was Happ even out there on that one offensive possession? The Gators swarmed and promptly fouled him as soon as he caught the ball.

Yeah, heck of a game. I only wish we could be as relevant as them at some point. Sigh, been saying that for 20 years.

I saw a badger fan post on twitter last night that they have their hearts ripped out more than any other fan base because of these dramatic losses. I had to roll my eyes and I think at least your teams are playing in these high pressure games. I would take a loss last night in the Sweet 16 over not ever getting there.

I saw a badger fan post on twitter last night that they have their hearts ripped out more than any other fan base because of these dramatic losses. I had to roll my eyes and I think at least your teams are playing in these high pressure games. I would take a loss last night in the Sweet 16 over not ever getting there.

Yeah I saw a lot of that too. I think literally every fan base thinks they are cursed/have the worst luck at the end of games. Even Duke fans, I'm sure they feel cursed when they have early tourney losses like S. Carolina, Lehigh, etc. Or Kansas fans because they can never get over the hump and win it all. All fan bases focus on their losses and misfortune waaaaaay more than their successes.

This game ended an 8 game overtime winning streak for them. They seem to hit their fair share of clutch shots. They didn't really dominate Virginia Tech or Villanova, and they hit a clutch three to beat Xavier, they hit a running 3 to even get to OT against Florida last night. Granted I have my own biases, but it feels like they pull off the unlikely comeback fairly frequently. Not to mention some of those Aaron Rodgers hail marys.

That's the OT story here: the Badgers were trading one for two in squandering their 5-point lead with a minute left. Why was Happ even out there on that one offensive possession? The Gators swarmed and promptly fouled him as soon as he caught the ball.

For as bad as Florida managed the last few minutes of regulation, they did a terrific job of extending the game in OT and finding the terrible foul shooters. In all seriousness, it is amazing how awful Happ and Hayes are from the line given how good they are at other parts of the game. It brings up reminders of Chuck Knoblach and Dave Engle and the throwing yips, which are basically lack explanation.

KU had a home game, Oregon was without one of its best players and once again KU/Self disappoint in March. It's becoming a right of passage in Lawrence.

Go Gophers!!

With KU losing, my bracket is officially torched. The upside is I can now give my full attention to spring football. It's been a fun year though.

Top Bottom