Gaelin Elmore announces transfer

We could hang onto all of the old guard, as long as possible, and hang around the 8 win level, and maybe in year 3 we bottom out, and finally in year four, when we finally get rid of all of Kill/Claeys guys, Fleck can start to make progress with a team that is totally his.

OR, we can get rid of all of the old guard NOW, suffer in the short term, and then instead of waiting for year 4, maybe in year 2 or 3 of Fleck's rule, we can start to kick butt? Not saying Fleck is pushing them out, but my guess is it would be those seniors who would have the biggest issues with Fleck's way.

Got it. We suck in PJF year one so we can get that #1 draft pick and accelerate the rebuilding process. That Fleck is diabolical like a fox.

Remember he was just a part time starter. 5 out of 13. I'm sure we will find someone just as good-if not better.

That's what I was thinking. I don't remember any big time plays that he made. I can't help thinking that Fleck may be giving these guys hints that their playing time will decrease under his system.

That's what I was thinking. I don't remember any big time plays that he made. I can't help thinking that Fleck may be giving these guys hints that their playing time will decrease under his system.

Stupid. There is zero chance that Elmore would not have been playing as much as anyone in the rotation.

Stupid. There is zero chance that Elmore would not have been playing as much as anyone in the rotation.

that isn't what he said. Maybe, and I'm not saying this is true, but maybe Elmore thought he'd be an every down guy and Fleck said he's not in his system. You can't fault someone for thinking it might be the case, even though I personally am not thinking that's what is going on.

Now if you were meaning this comment towards the portion that was the original post by jack jones, then I have a little harder time believing that we will just magically have someone better/just as good. The guy has played in the past for a reason, that being that he's a solid contributor.

that isn't what he said. Maybe, and I'm not saying this is true, but maybe Elmore thought he'd be an every down guy and Fleck said he's not in his system. You can't fault someone for thinking it might be the case, even though I personally am not thinking that's what is going on.

Now if you were meaning this comment towards the portion that was the original post by jack jones, then I have a little harder time believing that we will just magically have someone better/just as good. The guy has played in the past for a reason, that being that he's a solid contributor.

Why would he think he'd be an every down guy? Those didn't exist on the d-line under Kill or Claeys either. There's no basis for anyone to hold that belief.

Why would he think he'd be an every down guy? Those didn't exist on the d-line under Kill or Claeys either. There's no basis for anyone to hold that belief.

because players are entitled to their own opinion of their skills? And we lost a bunch of guys on the DL? And I'm not saying he plays every single down all game, but rather maybe they were saying he's going to play 1st and 2nd down and Devers comes in for pass rushing. Again, I'm just describing a hypothetical situation that is entirely plausible. Not saying it's right but to just dismiss the idea, even if you don't agree with it, isn't entirely fair.

Kudos to Gaelin for overcoming all he's overcome in his life and getting a good education. My guess is he's someone who will be very successful. Curious to see where he will end up using his last year of eligibility. I know the NCAA is very loose on this stuff, but the U has a ton of graduate programs and I've always been under the impression that a grad transfer has to enroll in a program not available at his current university.

I suspect he is still pissed off at Coyle and Kahler and this is his mechanism of protest.
It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Don't see any reason to go through winter conditioning and then quit after the first or second practice. Something must of happened to both Mayes and Elmore.

It seems pretty obvious by his written statement that he's been considering this for months. Considering his public stance on the boycott and the adversarial attitude of the administration and the student body seems obvious he's staying long enough to get his degree and then he'd like to open a new chapter. Nothing wrong with that, no ill will toward Fleck, he just doesn't want to row the boat/isn't feeling it. Good luck to him. He has elite integrity and is a class act.

“I don’t think it was a good fit,” Elmore said in a telephone interview. “It just wasn’t for me, and being an older guy, it’s tough to change. Both sides tried to make it work. I wanted to make this decision now so I didn’t leave Minnesota in a bad position where they can’t get another player to take my spot.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...transferring-from-football-program/416958614/

I remember when we were "in" the cotton bowl. Oh wait, I don't.

Well, if we could have swapped conferences with Western Michigan this year and played their schedule we would have been in the Cotton Bowl as well. Getting the pat on the head as the best of the non power 5 does little for me.

Well, if we could have swapped conferences with Western Michigan this year and played their schedule we would have been in the Cotton Bowl as well. Getting the pat on the head as the best of the non power 5 does little for me.

We know it does little for Mrs.Claeys

Why would a player that clearly loves the team, the university and was in line for huge playing time next season leave this program?

Most likely he, and maybe a couple of other starters who left, was told that Fleck was going in "another direction" and he just wasn't going to play period.

I don't think we'd have been undefeated playing their schedule, but the argument does little good now. Either way, I wish Elmore the best and am not worried about the why. I'll worry about the players staying...

Most likely he, and maybe a couple of other starters who left, was told that Fleck was going in "another direction" and he just wasn't going to play period.

How about "not likely at all". That is a terrible take.

Losing guys like this is why I dislike transitions in coaches. This isn't on Fleck but is on Kahler and probably Coyle. It is hard being a Gopher fan.

Losing guys like this is why I dislike transitions in coaches. This isn't on Fleck but is on Kahler and probably Coyle. It is hard being a Gopher fan.

Not worth making a change because we might lose a part time starter? Get real

Not worth making a change because we might lose a part time starter? Get real

Well we also lost Mayes and Moore too. When we are already losing the seniors to graduation and the 4 guys to expulsion, we can't afford to lose additional guys like Elmore, Mayes and Moore along with a few other O-lineman. Those losses adds up. It definitely feels like Fleck isn't trying to capitalize on the 9 win season last year but rather using this year as a rebuilding year, setting expectations low and is more determined to play young guys.

He confirms he's a Gopher not a HOWpher

F.A.M.I.L.F.

Elmore has a canyon on his shoulder, not a crack, coming out of terrible situation, he has had to prove it.

He is the Emperor of the "too's," not the King. Overcoming all sort of things that would have been too much for most.

He is proven elite academically, graduating in three years.

He is Self-less giver who cared about his Minnesota team, his Minnesota brothers, more than himself. Stood up for his teammates who Coyle and Kaler threw under the bus. Turned down Wisconsin and many others to be a Minnesota guy, to stay close to his adopted family and home in Somerset.

He was coached by a class act in Phelps, a guy who brought his kids to practice, a guy who invited his unit into his home, bonded with his unit off the field. He was tight with Kill.

He has been a key part of a top 25 defense in the best conference in college football the last two years.

I'm guessing he had enough of F.A.M.I.L.F.

Forget About Minnesota, I Love Fleck.

How about "not likely at all". That is a terrible take.

Nowhere near as terrible as pulling all scholarship offers from kids in December. Something Fleck infamously did when he took over the WMU job. Glad he didn't' do it here, but reading the board, a number of posters would have been thrilled by it.

"On December 17, 2012, Western Michigan University announced the hiring of Fleck as the new head coach..One of Fleck's first actions as head coach was to rescind scholarship offers to incoming players who had verbally committed to Western Michigan. The withdraws occurred weeks before the national signing day, and left players unable to arrange other Division I scholarships as slots were already filled at other schools. "I know if it was me, I would be ticked," Fleck said of the players who had scholarship offers pulled. "I also know if it was me, I would have showed up in the office of the head football coach, telling him I was dying to still be here."Fleck started his position during a dead period when recruits are not allowed to have face-to-face contact with coaches."

Well we also lost Mayes and Moore too. When we are already losing the seniors to graduation and the 4 guys to expulsion, we can't afford to lose additional guys like Elmore, Mayes and Moore along with a few other O-lineman. Those losses adds up. It definitely feels like Fleck isn't trying to capitalize on the 9 win season last year but rather using this year as a rebuilding year, setting expectations low and is more determined to play young guys.

The change wasn't made for next season it was for the future of the program. No AD is going to wait to make a change because they may lose 2-7 transfers due to the coaching change.

Maybe ... we'll see. But if that were the case you'd think he would've made this move before the semester started. Or, at least, before spring practice started.

He doesn't graduate until May. He wouldn't be a graduate transfer and would have to sit out a year if he transferred before the Spring semester.

He doesn't graduate until May. He wouldn't be a graduate transfer and would have to sit out a year if he transferred before the Spring semester.

I didn't mean to say that he would've transferred before the semester ... just announced it (at least to the coach). But I was more baffled that he waited until the third spring practice. His comments in the Strib make that a little more clear to me.

Nowhere near as terrible as pulling all scholarship offers from kids in December. Something Fleck infamously did when he took over the WMU job. Glad he didn't' do it here, but reading the board, a number of posters would have been thrilled by it.

"On December 17, 2012, Western Michigan University announced the hiring of Fleck as the new head coach..One of Fleck's first actions as head coach was to rescind scholarship offers to incoming players who had verbally committed to Western Michigan. The withdraws occurred weeks before the national signing day, and left players unable to arrange other Division I scholarships as slots were already filled at other schools. "I know if it was me, I would be ticked," Fleck said of the players who had scholarship offers pulled. "I also know if it was me, I would have showed up in the office of the head football coach, telling him I was dying to still be here."Fleck started his position during a dead period when recruits are not allowed to have face-to-face contact with coaches."

You think all the kids that decommited this year did so because they didn't like Fleck?

Top Bottom