Gaelin Elmore announces transfer

What does the common man lead in say about being average? Being the best of the worst and the worst of the best? Is that what you strive for?

They went 13-1 on what planet is that average?

Did they almost lose to Buttgers at home or something?

We beat them by 2.

Granted W. Mich. had an easier schedule. But they did beat Northwestern in Evanston. They beat Illinois in Champagne (by 24 points and we beat them there by 23). We lost to Wisconsin by 14 and they lost to them by 8.

Obviously not apples to oranges but they would have been competitive in the BIG IMO

No you praised losing a bowl. All I did was show you we were just as successful. Being the best of a lower division then losing your big chance is definitely not impressive. Winning a bowl game with elite defense down a significant number of players on defense is definitely impressive.

No you didn't show anyone anything other than your delusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ built western into a MAC power based on recruiting, kudos to him, but he will never have the talent advantage at Minnesota relative to the Big Ten that he had at Western compared to the Mac.

This makes a lot of sense. I can see it as a major reason many successful lower level coaches don't succeed at higher levels. Logical take, but the Flecksters won't have it.

A couple of the WMU fans who came to this board when Fleck was hired warned us that their would be guys that would quit/transfer possibly even "star" players under the previous staff. By all accounts, Gaelin Elmore has bee a terrific representative and advocate for the University of Minnesota. I wish him nothing but the best in his grad transfer year. That said, I am not worried at all about transfers during the first year or two of a coaching change. That's a pretty common occurrence, and I am sure Fleck feels like its better to lose some guys who are not "all in" with what he's trying to establish then bend to those guys and lose credibility with the rest of the roster. That doesn't mean the kids who transfer are bad guys, just that they signed up to play for a different coach with a different style and don't gel (for one reason or another) with this coach/coaching staff.

Sure, in head to head against the MAC they should. PJ built western into a MAC power based on recruiting, kudos to him, but he will never have the talent advantage at Minnesota relative to the Big Ten that he had at Western compared to the Mac. Gophs need to build their program by creating an identity and recruiting kids that fit that like Wisconsin and Iowa, I just don't see PJ doing that.

PJ didn't have an identity at Western Michigan?

I agree to an extent with the bold. It'll be nearly impossible to out recruit Ohio St, Michigan, and even Penn St. But you could have said the same about Dantonio when he took over Michigan St. He then went on to have several top 25 recruiting classes and win 2 Big Ten championships.

All those teams are in the East. Fleck can definitely raise Minnesota's talent to the best in the West.

A couple of the WMU fans who came to this board when Fleck was hired warned us that their would be guys that would quit/transfer possibly even "star" players under the previous staff. By all accounts, Gaelin Elmore has bee a terrific representative and advocate for the University of Minnesota. I wish him nothing but the best in his grad transfer year. That said, I am not worried at all about transfers during the first year or two of a coaching change. That's a pretty common occurrence, and I am sure Fleck feels like its better to lose some guys who are not "all in" with what he's trying to establish then bend to those guys and lose credibility with the rest of the roster. That doesn't mean the kids who transfer are bad guys, just that they signed up to play for a different coach with a different style and don't gel (for one reason or another) with this coach/coaching staff.

I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, but Elmore has a quote from Kill, along with Jerry and Rebecca Kill's initials tattooed on his body. He was obviously very, very loyal to the prior regime.

A couple of the WMU fans who came to this board when Fleck was hired warned us that their would be guys that would quit/transfer possibly even "star" players under the previous staff.

I remember that as well. It bums me out to see these guys leave, but I don't really have an issue with this process. I think what annoys many are those that act like we didn't need every guy who does transfer and that they were no good anyway.

Does a Gopher win vs Buffalo to start this season count?

Depends on the winning margin.

...Or he wanted to see another part of the country and play football for free. I'd support my kid in a second to do so. This is about 50% about football and 50% about adventure. This isn't about Fleck or the U, it's about Elmore. Let it go guys.

Sure, in head to head against the MAC they should. PJ built western into a MAC power based on recruiting, kudos to him, but he will never have the talent advantage at Minnesota relative to the Big Ten that he had at Western compared to the Mac. Gophs need to build their program by creating an identity and recruiting kids that fit that like Wisconsin and Iowa, I just don't see PJ doing that.

Fair enough. But at the same time, does this mean you don't ever think a successful coach at a lower level can win at the top level?

No you praised losing a bowl. All I did was show you we were just as successful. Being the best of a lower division then losing your big chance is definitely not impressive. Winning a bowl game with elite defense down a significant number of players on defense is definitely impressive.

I don't agree that a Big Ten team going to the Citrus Bowl is just as impressive as a MAC team going to the Cotton Bowl.

That's fine if some want to act like winning at Western Michigan isn't an accomplishment. I think it is. But it really doesn't matter. His past doesn't guarantee success at MN.

This statement is heresy to the Claeyophiles. 9 wins or bust next year, the cupboard is full....

or anyone that watched the team play and knows the similarity between the systems. Of course that was before we lost depth on the O-line and now Elmore.

Having expectations that Fleck is an upgrade and that the program moves forward is exactly why Fleck was hired. I was expecting 9 or more wins next year, but wouldn't have been surprised or even defeated if we didn't reach that but were competitive in every game and improved from the first to the last day of the season. But I guess, since I expected Fleck, as an upgrade, to win and win now was cleared by the Flecksterites, so I was wrong.

I think it's less an issue that you are losing players and more an issue of why. If PJF informed Elmore or others that they didn't fit perfectly into their future plans and they might be better off transferring, most people understand that. I personally have no problem with this and would respect Fleck for doing it.

However, if players are leaving for other reasons... For example, because they feel their AD unfairly and publicly trashed the program and system which they were a part of. Or, perhaps because they denegrated past coaches that the players thought highly of and, based on their principles, feel they now need to leave the program. This is shameful. And, in my opinion, an avoidable problem if people just did their jobs properly.

you must have missed the memo. This never happened.

Fair enough. But at the same time, does this mean you don't ever think a successful coach at a lower level can win at the top level?

Not at all. I think they can, but I just don't think Fleck is the guy. It's just my gut feeling, he seems Beckman like to me.
I really hope he proves me wrong.

Does anyone know where the Elmore thread is? I must have clicked on the "Clays vs Fleck" thread by accident.

Good luck to Elmore. He seemed like he could be a great leader. If nothing else, I think we'll miss that aspect of him the most.

Top Bottom