The Joplin Globe: After expulsion upheld, what's next for Hardin?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Joplin Globe:

So what’s next for Hardin?

Remember, Hardin has never been charged with a crime. But with his reputation tarnished by the scandal, Hardin may not have many options at the NCAA Division I level.

One possibility would be for Hardin to follow Jerry Kill to Rutgers. A former Webb City coach, Kill retired as Minnesota’s head coach in October, but then accepted the offensive coordinator position at Rutgers in December. With the familiarity between the two, a move to New Jersey seems possible if Kill could convince the school to give Hardin a shot.

Perhaps a fresh start at Missouri Southern or Pittsburg State could be in Hardin’s future. If he did decide to move home, Hardin would have friends, family and former coaches at Webb City as a support system.

Of course, Hardin could take the community college route, too.

Whether you believe Hardin is guilty of committing a crime or you feel he’s been wrongly accused, that’s up to you to decide. But I think we can all agree it will be interesting to see where Hardin ends up.

And when he arrives at his next destination, wherever that may be, Hardin will attempt to put the scandal behind him for good as he attempts to move on with his life.

Will he get another chance to play college football? And if so, where? The answers to those questions aren’t easy ones to predict.

For now, all we can do is wait and see.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/sports/l...cle_48f16609-d2cb-54a7-a6de-7a0fa8c99fcb.html

Go Gophers!!

If you can play, there is a coach or team out there somewhere who will overlook any issues and take a chance.

In the NFL right now, a lot of debate going on over Joe Mixon. My cynical nature tells me that Joe Mixon will be playing somewhere in the NFL next season. Talent will overcome a lot of objections.

If you can play, there is a coach or team out there somewhere who will overlook any issues and take a chance.

In the NFL right now, a lot of debate going on over Joe Mixon. My cynical nature tells me that Joe Mixon will be playing somewhere in the NFL next season. Talent will overcome a lot of objections.
Mixon will for sure be in the NFL next year. NFL will overlook his past.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Wouldn't Hardin have to sit out two years to go to Rutgers? Would the U sign a waiver on that?

Don't play, he will make more money with a lawsuit. Come on Hutton, you were so certain that lawsuits were winnable, we are all waiting for action.

Don't play, he will make more money with a lawsuit. Come on Hutton, you were so certain that lawsuits were winnable, we are all waiting for action.
I hope they do file a lawsuit. It would be good to see Coyle and Kaler pinned to the wall.

Patience grasshopper

No and no.

Why wouldn't he have to sit out two years to go to Rutgers (specifically)? It's an in-conference transfer. That's one year for the transfer and one year because it's in-conference I thought? I thought the conference year was only waived on extreme circumstances and the other year only if the school he's leaving waives it. Am I missing some other exception?

Why wouldn't he have to sit out two years to go to Rutgers (specifically)? It's an in-conference transfer. That's one year for the transfer and one year because it's in-conference I thought? I thought the conference year was only waived on extreme circumstances and the other year only if the school he's leaving waives it. Am I missing some other exception?

The difference under the current rules may come from the fact he was kicked out of school and didn't leave voluntarily. Not having to sit out for a transfer when kicked out of school may open a whole different can of worms though.

I don't know the rules as they apply to being kicked out of a school but I know you are citing rules for students that have voluntarily left a school.

Brian Bobek didn't have to sit for two years when he transferred from OSU to Minnesota. He did lose a year of eligibility, however. Did the rules change?

Wasn't that an old B1G "rule" to reduce transfers within the conference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can transfer within the Big Ten, but you lose a year of eligibility (whether you still have your redshirt option or not) and have to lose that year while sitting out.

Mixon will for sure be in the NFL next year. NFL will overlook his past.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Don't know anything about the kid...zero when it comes to him on a personal level. He appears to have been a kid (wasn't he not even in college yet when the incident happened?) that has changed. He seemed to interview well. If true he deserves another chance (and I'm sure he will)

The difference under the current rules may come from the fact he was kicked out of school and didn't leave voluntarily. Not having to sit out for a transfer when kicked out of school may open a whole different can of worms though.

I don't know the rules as they apply to being kicked out of a school but I know you are citing rules for students that have voluntarily left a school.

OK, so I looked up the rules, here is what I found on the NCAA site:
In most cases, you may not compete for one year after transferring from a four-year college to another four-year college. This year is an opportunity to adjust to your new school and focus on your studies rather than sports. However, there are exceptions that may allow you to compete during the first year at your new school.

You may be able to compete immediately after transferring if you meet ALL the following conditions:

This is the first time you are transferring from a four-year college.
You will play a sport other than Division I baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey at the second four-year school you plan to attend.
You are in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree.
The school from which you are transferring has given you a written release agreement allowing you to compete immediately at your new school

You may be able to compete immediately if you meet ANY of the following conditions:

Your sport is no longer sponsored at the school from which you are transferring.
You return to your first school without participating at the second school.
You were not considered recruited or receiving athletic scholarship by your first four-year school you are transferring away from.
You have not practiced or competed in your sport for two years before your transfer.
You are transferring to a Division III college.

If you are a student-athlete who plays football, you may be able to compete immediately if you meet ANY of the following conditions:

You are transferring from a Football Bowl Subdivision college to a Football Championship Subdivision college and have at least two seasons of eligibility remaining.
You are transferring from a Football Championship Subdivision college that offers athletics scholarships to a Football Championship Subdivision college that does not offer athletics scholarships.
Progress toward degree: Each NCAA school decides how many credits a student must earn in a given timeframe to make appropriate progress toward a degree. To be able to compete, you must meet NCAA, conference and school rules by making progress toward earning your degree.

Then it follows with:

you may request use of a one-time transfer exception to compete immediately at a
Division I or Division II school.
To qualify for this exception, you must meet all the following conditions:
• You are in good academic standing and are making progress toward your degree at your current school.
You would have been considered academically eligible to compete had you stayed at your current school.
• You have a written release agreement from your current school stating it does not object to you receiving a
transfer exception.

Based on the bold underlined statement I believe he would have to sit out as he would not have been academically eligible as he was expelled. On top of that, he'd have to sit an extra year to transfer in the B1G. Unless someone can find something else from the NCAA or B1G contradicting that, I'd have to think he'd have to sit two years to go to Rutgers.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/want-transfer

Top Bottom