Claeys Vs Fleck

this thread would have been a lot cooler if it were a MTV celebrity death match video, Claeys v Fleck. Claeys with the chub. Fleck wearing Claeys down with aquaman sonar like motivational sayings and quotes.

As a recent alumni, I assumed everyone disliked Claeys until I came to Gopher Hole. I wonder if it's an age/generational thing.

As a recent alumni, I assumed everyone disliked Claeys until I came to Gopher Hole. I wonder if it's an age/generational thing.

I am a recent alumni and I liked Claeys. Does that answer your question?

I'm in my 40s now and it is really hard to keep up with Fleck. He is quite the whippersnapper. TC talked slow and moved slow which was very nice for my generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did you dislike him? Just curious.

Can we please stop with the damn Claeys vs Fleck pissing matches in every thread. Claeys is gone and Fleck is here. I love what Claeys/Kill built and was very disappointed that Claeys was let go, but it's time to move forward with the new regime. Fleck hasn't coached a game and we got people wanting to fire him if we don't win 8+ games. How would firing a new coach after one year help our program get to the level of the upper echelon Big Ten Schools. I know this probably won't stop the pissing matches because there will always be trolls, but can the people that aren't trolls and are true fans stop this nonsense.

A guy who types "Claeys" more often than "Fleck" in his post would say that.......

/s

Can we please stop with the damn Claeys vs Fleck pissing matches in every thread. Claeys is gone and Fleck is here. I love what Claeys/Kill built and was very disappointed that Claeys was let go, but it's time to move forward with the new regime. Fleck hasn't coached a game and we got people wanting to fire him if we don't win 8+ games. How would firing a new coach after one year help our program get to the level of the upper echelon Big Ten Schools. I know this probably won't stop the pissing matches because there will always be trolls, but can the people that aren't trolls and are true fans stop this nonsense.

I'll admit I didn't read this thread so I'm assuming I'm not the first to point out we just fired a new coach after 1 year when we fired Claeys... Care to come up with a different argument? Or maybe care to notice that literally no one is calling for Fleck to be fired after 1 year? What an idiot.

Why did you dislike him? Just curious.

Personally? I thought he was a good interim coach, but he has nothing on his resume that says he should be permanent head football coach in the Big Ten.

Most students I talked to disliked him for the tweet/sex scandal/boycott situation though. Others will say that the fact that a recruit was even present at the sexscapes deserves an automatic firing.

Going from Claeys vs Fleck is like my Dad upgrading from a Prius to a Tesla

WTF are people even arguing about at this point?

Personally? I thought he was a good interim coach, but he has nothing on his resume that says he should be permanent head football coach in the Big Ten.

Most students I talked to disliked him for the tweet/boycott situation though.

Huh. Nine wins. Most successful D-coordinator since ?

The tweet was widely misinterpreted because so many don't understand what he and the team were talking about, combined with a slanted and incomplete education of the facts. Alternative facts are not just the domain of the alt right. The team and Claeys were recently vindicated.

Fair to dislike his personality and project a ceiling on wins. I had my misgivings as well re: figurehead of the program. If he kept winning nobody would care. I doubt many would like Belichick if he didn't win.

Which of those 9 wins were impressive?

The wins vs. Northwestern and Washington State were very impressive. Both were good offensive teams that we shut down almost completely. The win in San Diego was one of the best Gopher wins in a long time.

The losses vs. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State sucked and we should have won at least one, two or maybe all of those games. At least Claeys had Minnesota in the mix to win. You can laugh all you want to about this comment, but in past years some of those games might have been blow outs. UW was good, Penn State was good, and Iowa was not a bad team last year. (ask Nebraska how it felt to lose 10-40 to them) The team showed a lot of toughness all year, and in the year before as well under Claeys, post Kill.

Most importantly, Claeys beat all the team that had less talent than us, and most Minnesota teams in my lifetime, including Mason and Kill were not able to do that every time. Mason pissed away games against Indiana more than once even though he generally won those games, and Kill lost to New Mexico State and North Dakota State. Brewster lost to a whole bunch of teams with much less talent. Claeys beat them all. We will see if PJF can meet that standard.

You can expect great things under Fleck, and he probably will not fall short of those expectations, but please stop pretending there was any reason to be negative about the job Tracy Claeys did here. I do not care a bit about all the PR BS, I do not care if he was fat and boring, he may have been a great coach here, but we will never know. We do know that he was a good coach, and by Minnesota Gopher standards over the past half century probably one of the greatest.

Someone brought up Barry Alvarez earlier, and I agree Barry never would have fired Claeys after what Claeys showed us in the last 1 plus years. Alvarez is not the same kind of person that Mark Coyle is though. A Mark Coyle never could accomplish Alvarez type success from very low beginnings, but he might still get us there, even if I hate the messaging, and think he is a sneaky, self promoting weasel.

Nah. I don't exactly have a Pew study to back me up, but most students either didn't give a **** about Claeys or were happy with his firing.

You can be honest, most students don't give a **** about the football program period. Or the student section would fill up more than occasionally.

I agree, and I think this is the biggest point that needs to be made regarding the dreaded culture change.

Coach said it best at his introductory press conference:

“This has to be more than football. We are going to serve and give as much as we possibly can, to each other on our football team, to our community, to other student athletes. It’s not about us anymore."

You agree...and then throw in a "Coach said it best" quote.

See, scheduling a bunch of cupcake games see we can look back at say "9 wins" doesn't do anything for me.

You realize that the school only schedules 3 games, correct?

Why does it matter whether the coach can jog up and down the field during practice?

I'll admit I didn't read this thread so I'm assuming I'm not the first to point out we just fired a new coach after 1 year when we fired Claeys... Care to come up with a different argument? Or maybe care to notice that literally no one is calling for Fleck to be fired after 1 year? What an idiot.

The irony...wow, just wow.

Most students I talked to disliked him for the tweet/sex scandal/boycott situation though. Others will say that the fact that a recruit was even present at the sexscapes deserves an automatic firing.
I look forward to hearing about the many times you get fired. [emoji57]

See, scheduling a bunch of cupcake games see we can look back at say "9 wins" doesn't do anything for me.

So Fleck should have no problem winning 8 regular season games this year.

Top Bottom