Claeys Vs Fleck

GopherPlaya

Reaction score
Can we please stop with the damn Claeys vs Fleck pissing matches in every thread. Claeys is gone and Fleck is here. I love what Claeys/Kill built and was very disappointed that Claeys was let go, but it's time to move forward with the new regime. Fleck hasn't coached a game and we got people wanting to fire him if we don't win 8+ games. How would firing a new coach after one year help our program get to the level of the upper echelon Big Ten Schools. I know this probably won't stop the pissing matches because there will always be trolls, but can the people that aren't trolls and are true fans stop this nonsense.

Can we please stop with the damn Claeys vs Fleck pissing matches in every thread. Claeys is gone and Fleck is here. I love what Claeys/Kill built and was very disappointed that Claeys was let go, but it's time to move forward with the new regime. Fleck hasn't coached a game and we got people wanting to fire him if we don't win 8+ games. How would firing a new coach after one year help our program get to the level of the upper echelon Big Ten Schools. I know this probably won't stop the pissing matches because there will always be trolls, but can the people that aren't trolls and are true fans stop this nonsense.
I agree, the best way to stop this conversation is to make another thread about it!

Well it's better than see it take up 4 pages in every thread and we get away from what the actual thread is about

Who's suggesting that PJF should be fired if he doesn't win 8+ games?

Go to the bulletin board of any team (in any sport) that has a new coach. They will be comparing the new regime to the old. Moreover, because the Gophers made the rare decision to fire a winning coach (not many coaches get fired after the school's best bowl win in over 10 years), this is even more intense.

No one has advocated firing Fleck for not winning 8+ games. I have seen at least one advocate firing for a three win season. Not sure where I stand but there will be more than one advocating this should they win only three next year.

My advice: instead of telling people what to post, you should ignore threads/posts that bug you.

Go to the bulletin board of any team (in any sport) that has a new coach. They will be comparing the new regime to the old. Moreover, because the Gophers made the rare decision to fire a winning coach (not many coaches get fired after the school's best bowl win in over 10 years), this is even more intense.

No one has advocated firing Fleck for not winning 8+ games. I have seen at least one advocate firing for a three win season. Not sure where I stand but there will be more than one advocating this should they win only three next year.

My advice: instead of telling people what to post, you should ignore threads/posts that bug you.

Some of those thread start off as recruiting threads or interesting threads then turn into piss matches but I agree I should ignore them.

Some of those thread start off as recruiting threads or interesting threads then turn into piss matches but I agree I should ignore them.

Regardless of the topic it is always frustrating to watch an interesting thread turn into a back and forth pissing match between two posters who could just take their beef private as opposed to hijacking the thread.

As for the coaching debate, yeah wouldn't expect that to go away anytime soon since there are still debates involving Mason and he hasn't coached a game here in over a decade.

Interesting question ...

Those threads are not piss matches. Why you got to disparage other threads all the time. Comparing this new thread to an old thread like just because this new thread is here we should forget about the old threads. All threads matter!

People need to stop looking on the football side of the operation, when trying to explain, why Fleck is here and Claeys is gone. We have a very expensive Athletes village Complex to pay for, to raise money, we need someone to be the public face, of the program. Coyle either couldn't or wouldn't do the role and Claeys was absolutely unsuited for the role by his innate temperament. If we had hired an AD more in the mold of Barry Alvarez Claeys would still be here.

People need to stop looking on the football side of the operation, when trying to explain, why Fleck is here and Claeys is gone. We have a very expensive Athletes village Complex to pay for, to raise money, we need someone to be the public face, of the program. Coyle either couldn't or wouldn't do the role and Claeys was absolutely unsuited for the role by his innate temperament. If we had hired an AD more in the mold of Barry Alvarez Claeys would still be here.

I agree, and I think this is the biggest point that needs to be made regarding the dreaded culture change.

Coach said it best at his introductory press conference:

“This has to be more than football. We are going to serve and give as much as we possibly can, to each other on our football team, to our community, to other student athletes. It’s not about us anymore."

Interesting take on the situation. Very plausible. I like it. And I'm happy to see that someone's utilization of the comma is even more gratuitous than mine. Which is a tall order.

I agree, the best way to stop this conversation is to make another thread about it!

And then post 4 of the first 8 posts in the thread about the subject that you don't want to discuss anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not every disagreement or even argument on here is a "pissing match".

Fleck can't hold a candle to Mason, Gutekunst or Holtz. [emoji41] [emoji57]
How's that for avoiding Claeys? [emoji8]

And Coyle/Kaler still suck!

I honestly believe that 99.9% of the people on this board want Fleck to succeed.

yes, some of us are not crazy about Fleck's style or personality, but if he wins, I'll deal with it. And if he doesn't win, I won't have to deal with it forever.....

yes, I liked Claeys, and I think he got a raw deal. I really hated the way Coyle handled the situation.

But, as noted, that is in the past. Once the team starts playing games, I think and hope that all of the off-field discussions will be set aside and we can focus on what is happening (or not happening) on the field. I can't imagine any scenario where Fleck is gone after one season. The U has made a major investment in Fleck - as noted, he and Pitino are now the faces of Gopher athletics.

So, let's cross our fingers and hope for a good season. And, I will hope that Tracy Claeys is able to resume his coaching career and go on to more success. Who knows - maybe someday, the Gophs will find themselves in a bowl game, and Claeys will be the DC for the other team. That would be interesting.

I honestly believe that 99.9% of the people on this board want Fleck to succeed.

yes, some of us are not crazy about Fleck's style or personality, but if he wins, I'll deal with it. And if he doesn't win, I won't have to deal with it forever.....

yes, I liked Claeys, and I think he got a raw deal. I really hated the way Coyle handled the situation.

But, as noted, that is in the past. Once the team starts playing games, I think and hope that all of the off-field discussions will be set aside and we can focus on what is happening (or not happening) on the field. I can't imagine any scenario where Fleck is gone after one season. The U has made a major investment in Fleck - as noted, he and Pitino are now the faces of Gopher athletics.

So, let's cross our fingers and hope for a good season. And, I will hope that Tracy Claeys is able to resume his coaching career and go on to more success. Who knows - maybe someday, the Gophs will find themselves in a bowl game, and Claeys will be the DC for the other team. That would be interesting.

Very well said, I have expectations that Fleck, at a minimum, get us into a lower tier BIG bowl this season. I would say this is a changed season, not a rebuild.

As someone who spends my hard earn money on season tickets I think I have the right to be angry about firing a coach after one year who won nine games and was tossed under the bus for the utter incompetence of this Universities leadership. Quite frankly there is talent on this team, this is not the rebuild job pass gopher coaches have inherited, no reason this team can't get to a bowl (especially with this new superior culture everyone is talking about) You can't fire a guy for winning nine games and turn around and triple the next guys salary and have three wins be acceptable because its not. It'll just show that we have a coach who can't coach up his players in big boy football. as for the argument about being the face of the program, who the bleep cares if we are winning and also when it comes to fundraising and all that that's the AD's job, it's the AD's job to give their programs the resources to be successful ad Coyle failed the football team last year. And like it or not guys like Fleck (with him it will be at a whole new level) it mocked in this town relentlessly when they fail. I am not asking for last years win total, i get it there aere going to growing pains, I just want to go to a bowl, even in the Dumpster Bowl in Detroit will suffice next year, Get it done Fleck.

Short of some major scandal he's directly involved with (paying players, openly cheating, running a train...), I agree completely that there's nearly zero chance he's fired year one. It'd have to be a firing with cause where it was so blatant that they didn't have to pay him off. Maybe if they go 0-12? Even then I think he'd at least get year 2 (see Brewster, Tim and his 1-11 first season)

As far as people wanting him to succeed I don't think any real Gopher fan wants Fleck to fail, regardless of how much they dislike his shtick or how much they liked Claeys or how much they dislike the way it was handled. If he fails that means we've had another 3-5 years of crappy football and we're starting over, probably with a complete rebuild. I'm sure plenty of Badger/Hawkeye/insert other hate filled team here hope he's another 4 years and gone failure, but that has nothing to do with who we hired.

That said, there are already some clear differences in the way they handled the team, even before they play a down. And because of that difference, it's going to lead to comparisons. Even though I'm 100% on board with PJ Fleck, I'm sure there will be some decision he makes that I won't agree with and I'll probably say, "you know, that's one thing Coach Claeys did right" or "I wouldn't have thought he'd do that - that's no better than what Claeys would have done". It's just natural.

Very well said, I have expectations that Fleck, at a minimum, get us into a lower tier BIG bowl this season. I would say this is a changed season, not a rebuild.
5-7 gets us in! [emoji41]

all he's really got to do is win trophy game(s)... beat Wisconsin and they could go 2-10 for all I care

Claeys won 0

You must really hate sports talk radio. It's just give and take and opinion. No harm, no foul. It means exactly zero to Fleck or the players. Fleck invites some bit of harmless ridicule because of his cultish self-help program and crazy acronyms like HOWpher. Regardless of what I or we think of that aspect of his program his infectious energy and communication skills have a chance to reel in recruits we haven't seen in some time. The energy and buzz is undeniable. Time will tell if his coaching staff can develop players and the scheme and rise up to challenge the big boys. Guys like Paup, Warriner, Ciarocca are intriguing. Pretty much all signs are positive.

I'm with this guy.

Lol, most here aren't even done with warmath, mason or brewster and you think anyone will stop comparing claeys and fleck?

#coacheslivesmatter

Personally, I'm just happy we have a coach physically capable of jogging up and down the field during practice a few times.

Can one imagine if Claeys opened camp and started throwing around crazy words and acronyms? If Claeys started saying "Hoe the Row" or "Schuck the Corn" after every interview he would be widely ridiculed. Because Fleck is a young, attractive, charismatic guy with a dragon lady wife he can get away with it to some extent. Just the way it is, and always will be.

Top Bottom