Claeys Vs Fleck

The one where Coyle and company removed 10 players, but MN still won.

ueZhT5k.gif

Here's what I know for sure, Claeys had substance and walked the walk. The verdict is still out on Fleck, I hope he can be very successful at Minnesota, will have to wait and see. For the recent grads who didn't like Claeys because you didn't like the cover of the book, let me be the first to inform you that talented people come in all shapes and sizes. Yes, Claeys was not the cover boy for GQ, but the guy was a talented coach, while still learning to be the face of the program. There is no doubt in my mind he would have continued to get better at his job. Grow up snowflakes and give Claeys the credit he deserved, he stood up for his team and faced the music like a man. Coyle hid the entire time during the scandal until Claeys was fired, just a coward as far as I can tell. Claeys did a A-/B+ coaching job last year, you don't get fired for that kind of grade, you just don't. Coyle could have supported Claeys through the scandal but chose the easy way out, I hope the dude can live with himself, with that kind of ego, he probably can. And when Fleck has some success and then bails on us, I have to think Claeys was home here and loved it.

Claeys deserves credit for being part of a coaching staff that made the football program respectable. He is not leaving behind some sort of grand legacy at Minnesota.

Didn't know it was possible to get an A-/B+ for blowing for half time leads against the best teams they played this season. Props for winning the bowl game but recruiting, ticket sales, and fundraising were looking slow under Claeys not to mention the scandal which had national attention. Time to move on.

Didn't know it was possible to get an A-/B+ for blowing for half time leads against the best teams they played this season. Props for winning the bowl game but recruiting, ticket sales, and fundraising were looking slow under Claeys not to mention the scandal which had national attention. Time to move on.

Those of us who have respect for a good football coach who did a good job for us will move on as soon as you haters stop sh1tting on him for no reason.

Those of us who have respect for a good football coach who did a good job for us will move on as soon as you haters stop sh1tting on him for no reason.

So True!

I liked Claeys a lot as a person and loved him as our D coordinator. But to say there is "no reason" to criticize him is silly. Blown leads against PSU, Nebraska, and UW is something to criticize. Losing at home to an average Iowa team is something to criticize. An empty trophy case is something to criticize. And an incredibly embarrassing sex scandal involving the word rape with multiple players including a recruit is something to criticize. Like I've said before, this to me will always be the "what could've been" season. The schedule and talent of the team was lined up for a great season but instead we're hanging our hats on winning at Maryland and beating Northwestern at home because we lost every single game against good teams and rivals. The bowl game win was very impressive but it really skewed the reality of the disappointing season up to that point for a lot of people here. The people who say some of us are to sensitive when it comes to criticism of Fleck are hypocrites as they are equally if not more sensitive when it comes to any criticism of Claeys.

I don't think this thread has accomplished it's set objective.

I liked Claeys a lot as a person and loved him as our D coordinator. But to say there is "no reason" to criticize him is silly. Blown leads against PSU, Nebraska, and UW is something to criticize. Losing at home to an average Iowa team is something to criticize. An empty trophy case is something to criticize. And an incredibly embarrassing sex scandal involving the word rape with multiple players including a recruit is something to criticize. Like I've said before, this to me will always be the "what could've been" season. The schedule and talent of the team was lined up for a great season but instead we're hanging our hats on winning at Maryland and beating Northwestern at home because we lost every single game against good teams and rivals. The bowl game win was very impressive but it really skewed the reality of the disappointing season up to that point for a lot of people here. The people who say some of us are to sensitive when it comes to criticism of Fleck are hypocrites as they are equally if not more sensitive when it comes to any criticism of Claeys.

Legitimate criticism is fine. Superficial nonsense like making fun of his weight, making fun of how he dresses, calling him a bumpkin, saying he's a lazy recruiter, counting close wins as losses, saying "8 regular season wins" as though that's a thing people say, etc., etc., etc. are not.

Claeys seems to be a more even keel person. Very cerebral and dedicated to doing the right thing for the group.
Fleck seems to be driven by his ego. His self-centered life resulted in divorce and quick remarriage to a woman who wants a hectic lifestyle.
I think I would enjoy Claeys company much more than Fleck's.
That said, we have Fleck as our head coach and I hope UMN football is successful under his leadership.

I honestly believe that 99.9% of the people on this board want Fleck to succeed.

yes, some of us are not crazy about Fleck's style or personality, but if he wins, I'll deal with it. And if he doesn't win, I won't have to deal with it forever.....

yes, I liked Claeys, and I think he got a raw deal. I really hated the way Coyle handled the situation.

But, as noted, that is in the past. Once the team starts playing games, I think and hope that all of the off-field discussions will be set aside and we can focus on what is happening (or not happening) on the field. I can't imagine any scenario where Fleck is gone after one season. The U has made a major investment in Fleck - as noted, he and Pitino are now the faces of Gopher athletics.

So, let's cross our fingers and hope for a good season. And, I will hope that Tracy Claeys is able to resume his coaching career and go on to more success. Who knows - maybe someday, the Gophs will find themselves in a bowl game, and Claeys will be the DC for the other team. That would be interesting.

You nailed it correctly in everything you said above! My sentiments exactly how this whole scenario has been played out. That would be interesting if the Gophers played a team that had Claeys as their DC.

Spot on.

I liked Claeys a lot as a person and loved him as our D coordinator. But to say there is "no reason" to criticize him is silly. ..

Haven't read anybody who thinks Claeys is beyond criticism. Saw plenty of it the last season and a half. So who were you quoting? Your reply was to a post that said "you haters stop sh1tting on him for no reason."

You equate that to criticism? That is about as thin-skinned as a pretend person on the internet can get. That's about as silly as it comes. Wonder if any other posters equate the two?

Haven't read anybody who thinks Claeys is beyond criticism. Saw plenty of it the last season and a half. So who were you quoting? Your reply was to a post that said "you haters stop sh1tting on him for no reason."

You equate that to criticism? That is about as thin-skinned as a pretend person on the internet can get. That's about as silly as it comes. Wonder if any other posters equate the two?

Spot on.

Claeys seems to be a more even keel person. Very cerebral and dedicated to doing the right thing for the group.
Fleck seems to be driven by his ego. His self-centered life resulted in divorce and quick remarriage to a woman who wants a hectic lifestyle.
That said, we have Fleck as our head coach and I hope UMN football is successful under his leadership.

Agreed 100%

His self-centered life?? There's no chance you know enough about the man to make such a statement. Absolutely ridiculous. As far as who's company I would more enjoy it's not close. Claeys is a nice guy but has the personality and charisma of a piece of toast.

His self-centered life?? There's no chance you know enough about the man to make such a statement. Absolutely ridiculous. As far as who's company I would more enjoy it's not close. Claeys is a nice guy but has the personality and charisma of a piece of toast.
We like different personalities. There is a reason that a wife divorces Fleck and then Fleck remarries less than a year later. I doubt the issue was with the wife.

We like different personalities. There is a reason that a wife divorces Fleck and then Fleck remarries less than a year later. I doubt the issue was with the wife.

And divorces, especially involving multiple children and the amount of money Fleck made/makes can take a long time to resolve. Just because they remarried a year after the divorce was finalized doesn't mean they weren't split up for several years prior.

And divorces, especially involving multiple children and the amount of money Fleck made/makes can take a long time to resolve. Just because they remarried a year after the divorce was finalized doesn't mean they weren't split up for several years prior.

Its also none of our business. If people want to make an issue of it, then they should look at Trump, the president of the United States and start there.

True, but my money goes on Fleck being the problem in that break up.
Pressure from the loss of a child combined with PJ putting all his efforts in building his coaching resume results in a grieving wife caring for the kids and not getting support from her husband.
I'm a believer in for better or worse. Elite is the couple that make it work.
Don't feed me one liners and acronyms if you can't fix your own house.

Its also none of our business. If people want to make an issue of it, then they should look at Trump, the president of the United States and start there.
Sure, but this thread is about Claeys and Fleck.
Fleck may win more games for UMN as a head coach, but he's not the more honorable person. Claeys is a good and honorable person who showed loyalty and character in every action he took.

Sure, but this thread is about Claeys and Fleck.
Fleck may win more games for UMN as a head coach, but he's not the more honorable person. Claeys is a good and honorable person who showed loyalty and character in every action he took.

Do you know them personally or something?

Top Bottom