All Things 2017-18 B1G Schedules

Per Jon Rothstein, Nebraska will play UCF in their first game down in Orlando. Although he wasn't totally clear, he made it seem like their second game would be against either Marist or West Virginia.

Iowa has their complete non-conference schedule up on their website. They will play Alabama State on Nov. 12, which I would assume is their Cayman Islands Classic home game, plus they will host Northern Illinois on Dec. 29.

Iowa

By KenPom rank, Hawkeyes have the worst non-conference schedule so far of 4 complete B1G schedules.

Why is a potential NCAA Tournament team playing 3 SWAC opponents?

By KenPom rank, Hawkeyes have the worst non-conference schedule so far of 4 complete B1G schedules.

Franny scheduled himself out of the tournament at least once since he has been at Iowa. Maybe the department at Iowa is putting the squeeze on the basketball team to beef up the revenue on the guarantee games. SWAC can't be much more expensive than a D-II game. Benefit of the doubt, here.

If they somehow manage to miss Cincy in the Cayman Island Classic their already bad OOC schedule will be even that much worse.

They also play Chicago State, Drake and Southern Utah, all teams that had a 300+ RPI last year. So that's SIX potential teams that could have an RPI of 300+. That's really awful. Northern Illinois was a 200+ team last year and Colorado and Iowa State project to be worse than they were a year ago. Wouldn't shock me at all to see them with an NON SoS of 300+ next year. It's going to kill their resume.

Big Ten non-conference schedules largely underwhelming to this point.

Thad Matta and Tom Crean usually put out shallow nonconference schedules in terms of lack of quality teams and high numbers of cupcakes, with them gone, I expect those two programs to schedule better in the future. Can't blame the current coaches at those two for the schedules this year.

I did the math myself, Thad Matta had the absolute worst nonconference schedules in the B1G over the last 7 seasons (2011-2017) in terms of the most of what were practically guarantee games, averaging 9.1 per season (games vs low or mid majors at home with no return game ever), fewest "name" teams (27), fewest nonconference tourneys with 2 or 3 games at a neutral site (1 in 7 yrs, Rutgers was the only one even close to that with 2, while 10 programs were in 6/7 or 7/7). And he made the schedule this year, with 8 more cupcakes (& zero true road games), but a rare treat in the only 3-game neutral site nonconference tourney he ever scheduled as a head coach. He had some strong opponents on these schedules, but didn't have a single season in the top-100 of nonconference SOS per KenPom in this span, 2008 I believe is the last one he had that was top-100.

Thad Matta and Tom Crean usually put out shallow nonconference schedules in terms of lack of quality teams and high numbers of cupcakes, with them gone, I expect those two programs to schedule better in the future. Can't blame the current coaches at those two for the schedules this year.

I did the math myself, Thad Matta had the absolute worst nonconference schedules in the B1G over the last 7 seasons (2011-2017) in terms of the most of what were practically guarantee games, averaging 9.1 per season (games vs low or mid majors at home with no return game ever), fewest "name" teams (27), fewest nonconference tourneys with 2 or 3 games at a neutral site (1 in 7 yrs, Rutgers was the only one even close to that with 2, while 10 programs were in 6/7 or 7/7). And he made the schedule this year, with 8 more cupcakes (& zero true road games), but a rare treat in the only 3-game neutral site nonconference tourney he ever scheduled as a head coach. He had some strong opponents on these schedules, but didn't have a single season in the top-100 of nonconference SOS per KenPom in this span, 2008 I believe is the last one he had that was top-100.

Good stuff. I would add Fran and (surprisingly) Beilein as guys who underschedule, but at least Beilein has a couple quality home & homes most every season.

5 B1G non-conference schedules now complete

Really lame scheduling by B1G teams so far.

Through 5 Complete
1 Ohio State (177.818)
2 Penn State (209.833)
3 Michigan (209.9)
4 Iowa (219.181)
5 Rutgers (240.769)

Actually, Beilein is usually one of the best schedulers in the B1G, not quite Wisconsin good but not far off. McCaffery not so strong. Gophers and Terps were towards the bottom of the league in the guarantee game category (highest quantity), right near Indiana. I would say Wisconsin does it best in the B1G, and Michigan and MSU are other programs that top teams in the B1G should schedule similarly to or use as models for scheduling most of the time. Maybe this year is different for Beilein, I haven't checked it out, but I like his scheduling.

Good stuff. I would add Fran and (surprisingly) Beilein as guys who underschedule, but at least Beilein has a couple quality home & homes most every season.

Actually, Beilein is usually one of the best schedulers in the B1G, not quite Wisconsin good but not far off. McCaffery not so strong. Gophers and Terps were towards the bottom of the league in the guarantee game category (highest quantity), right near Indiana. I would say Wisconsin does it best in the B1G, and Michigan and MSU are other programs that top teams in the B1G should schedule similarly to or use as models for scheduling most of the time. Maybe this year is different for Beilein, I haven't checked it out, but I like his scheduling.

IMO Wisconsin most consistently puts together the best schedules. Always have a good mix.

DePaul replacing Georgetown in PK80 Victory bracket

Sparty now plays Blue Demons in the quarterfinals.

Per Rothstein we will play Harvard at the Barn. Should be a quality opponent. I can see them finishing 1st/2nd in the Ivy next year.

Per Rothstein we will play Harvard at the Barn. Should be a quality opponent. I can see them finishing 1st/2nd in the Ivy next year.

Thanks.

Still hoping there's a quality home & home that starts this season at The Barn. Need a quality non-conference home game (in addition to Miami) to help offset loss of Ohio State home game.

Thanks.

Still hoping there's a quality home & home that starts this season at The Barn. Need a quality non-conference home game (in addition to Miami) to help offset loss of Ohio State home game.

What is officially confirmed thus far:

@ Providence
@ Arkansas
vs. Miami
vs. Alabama A&M
vs. Western Carolina
vs. Harvard
vs. UMASS(Barclays Classic)
vs. Alabama(Barclays Classic)

Am I missing anything? Looks like we still need 4/5 games depending on if we play a 12 or 13 game Non Con schedule.

Edit - just noticed you're updating the initial post. Thanks for keeping track.

Northwestern non-conference schedule released

Will update above shortly.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Illinois non-conference schedule released

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The 2016-17 gopher non-conference schedule wasn't that tough, yet it actually helped them on selection Sunday.

Actually it was a pretty decent schedule. The Gophers played 3 teams who earned at-large bids (Arkansas, FSU, Vandy), and two others were #75 (UT Arlington) and #99 (Saint John's) in the KenPom top 100.

Actually it was a pretty decent schedule. The Gophers played 3 teams who earned at-large bids (Arkansas, FSU, Vandy), and two others were #75 (UT Arlington) and #99 (Saint John's) in the KenPom top 100.

I agree SS. And this year's is also. Another quality opponent would make it better than decent. Illinois and NW's non conference schedule's look very soft to my first glance. Hard to get better, hard to know what you need to fix if the first time you have adversity is a conference game.

I agree SS. And this year's is also. Another quality opponent would make it better than decent. Illinois and NW's non conference schedule's look very soft to my first glance. Hard to get better, hard to know what you need to fix if the first time you have adversity is a conference game.

Northwestern's has the potential to match ours from last year if Chreighton, Georgia tech, and and Oklahoma all do well(I don't know if they will stink or do well I haven't looked at their teams). Then they'd need someone else to get into the top 100 and it'd be a similar schedule to ours last year.

Illinois has UNLV (which might as well be a new team from last year with all their recruits and does have Brandon Mccoy in it), Missouri who has the best freshman entering the year (porter), and Wake forest who will probably take a step back this year but does bring in a good recruit in Brown.

The 2016-17 gopher non-conference schedule wasn't that tough, yet it actually helped them on selection Sunday.

In the end it worked out well for us, because teams like FSU, Vandy and Arkansas probably end up better than what they were projected too. I could see that with a team like OU, who will have talent, but Creighton wasn't the same team without Mo Watson and Patton left early for the pros. I think this is a rebuild year and they'd be lucky to make the NIT. Depaul is likely a last place Big East team, Ga. Tech is a bottom tier ACC team IMO and Boston College/Texas Tech aren't tournament teams IMO. Plus Brown, Chicago State and Sacred Heart could end up around 300 in the RPI. That schedule may only produce one top 50 team(Oklahoma) and maybe another 2/3 top 100 teams.

Top Bottom