All Things 2017-18 B1G Schedules

Thinking Notre Dame would be a good fit. Would love to see the Gophers schedule two really powerful programs instead of OK teams like Arkansas. Go for Kansas and Villanova. Michigan State does it although they went overboard last year i give IZZO a ton of credit, he does it every year. UVA does Villanova and West Virginia types. Gophers are too good to try and game the schedule. As i season ticket holder i can not stand the mostly weak opponents that come in here. Whichita St. will do a home and away series.

Would love to see Pitino schedule a home and home with Wichita State. Marshall talks big about scheduling, see if he'd start a H&H in Minneapolis next season.

Excluding ACC, Seton Hall would be a good one. Xavier. Providence. Baylor. TCU. Kansas State. USC. Ole Miss. SMU. Cincinnati. BYU. Saint Mary's. VCU. Dayton. So many possibilities, and more.

SS - What are the possibilities about the Gophers getting 1 of UNC, Duke or L'ville in the ACC/B1G Challenge? Or will we get Florida State or UVA for the millionth time...

I feel like the Gophers should be rewarded for the season they just had by getting one of those at the Barn(since we should be getting a home game next season).

My guess is Purdue will probably get one of those 3 since they will probably be the favorites to win the conference, but after that, with the personnel losses that Wisconsin has, there really isn't a team that sticks out, I guess MSU, so it wouldn't surprise if they played one of those teams. My guess is we'll get stuck playing FSU again, only they'll be worse because Bacon, Rathan-Mayes and Isaac are all leaving. So it'll be another meh type of game.

My guess is Gophers get Louisville or Notre Dame.

Couple MSU notes:

MSU will be playing Oakland (probable neutral site this year). Sounds like a very good chance that it will be played at the new Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, which happens to be hosting the first two rounds of NCAA tourney next year.

Here's an older link.http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ets-kansas-syracuse-msu-next-season/98847220/

Also as for ACC opponent, we are already playing Duke in Champions Classic which means that we will be placed in UNC's side of Phil Knight bracket......so I would think they are both off the board for our ACC challenge opponent.....surprise surprise as we are due a home game this year.

Also we have not had a Gavitt game to this point in the series so I'm willing to bet we draw a Big East team this year. If we do that would probably be a home game as there are already 6 away/neutral games known at this point.

For the Badgers, we have a game at Temple to complete a home and home series. The date for the Western Kentucky game is Dec. 17. It's unusual because this would be during finals week, but they may have had to schedule it then in order to adjust to having the two conference games in early December. This article also mentions that the Badgers will play at home for the Gavitt Tipoff game.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_8ebf4907-b4ef-5077-b42c-614744232d76.html

Thinking Notre Dame would be a good fit. Would love to see the Gophers schedule two really powerful programs instead of OK teams like Arkansas. Go for Kansas and Villanova. Michigan State does it although they went overboard last year i give IZZO a ton of credit, he does it every year. UVA does Villanova and West Virginia types. Gophers are too good to try and game the schedule. As i season ticket holder i can not stand the mostly weak opponents that come in here. Whichita St. will do a home and away series.

I was actually reading that one reason Kansas won't do a home and home with Wichita State is because, since every home game is a sellout for Kansas, regardless of opponent, there's no extra money to be made from playing the Shockers, they just lose a home game one year. They're doing a home and home with Nebraska, but that might be because they were in the same conference at one point, and are kind of border rivals. I'm not sure Kansas would have much incentive to do a home and home with Minnesota. Maybe, as a slight step down, we could get a home and home with Arizona or UCLA? Still pretty big name opponents. UCLA played Nebraska and Michigan this year.

Louisville would be fantastic if we get it. ND loses a lot of last year's team, not sure if they'll be a top 25 team next season or not.

If Bonzie Colson returns, which seems likely at this point, Notre Dame (again) should be really good.

If Bonzie Colson returns, which seems likely at this point, Notre Dame (again) should be really good.

I think losing the steadiness of Vasturia will be a big loss, and then they also lose Beachem who averaged almost 15 a game. Plus Ryan decided to transfer, who I think was in line to make a big jump next year, seemed like he could never get out of Brey's dog house, but I think he's a talented kid. Plus they only have one kid signed for next year, so depth will be an issue. But Brey is an outstanding coach so guys like Pflueger and Gibbs will probably take a big step forward.

What about Miami as an option in the ACC/Big Ten? They lose two of their top 5 scorers (one being their leading scorer) but they are bringing in Lonnie Walker who is a top 20 5* recruit.

What about Miami as an option in the ACC/Big Ten? They lose two of their top 5 scorers (one being their leading scorer) but they are bringing in Lonnie Walker who is a top 20 5* recruit.

That would be an okay game, but we just played them a little while back. I'd love to see a blue blood come to the Barn. No disrespect to Miami, because I think they'll be a top 25 type of team next year, but it would be very neat to see Duke, UNC, L'Ville come to the Barn.

If the Gophers are ever going to get Duke at home. ...

in the ACC Challenge, this is the year.

Duke has played 2 straight Challenge home games. Dukies definitely will be on the road this year.

B1G teams most likely to play at home this year are Iowa, Michigan State, Gophers, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue, and Rutgers. Based on where teams will be projected to finish, I think we can eliminate Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State, and Rutgers as possible road destinations for Dukies.

That leaves Michigan State, Purdue, and the Gophers.

It definitely won't be Sparty, as spartans67 explained above. ... Sparty-Duke already play one another Nov. 14 in the Champions Classic.

If Swanigan returns to West Lafayette, it's pretty much a lock it'll be Duke-Purdue. But if Biggie doesn't return, then I think there's a decent chance Duke comes to Williams Arena, especially if Vincent Edwards leaves along with Swanigan.

I can't see Duke playing anyone else on the road other than Purdue or the Gophers, unless ESPN & Delany screw us over and give Northwestern back-to-back home games so they can host Duke in a made-for-TV "Coach K vs. Collins" special.

in the ACC Challenge, this is the year.

Duke has played 2 straight Challenge home games. Dukies definitely will be on the road this year.

B1G teams most likely to play at home this year are Iowa, Michigan State, Gophers, Nebraska, Ohio State, Purdue, and Rutgers. Based on where teams will be projected to finish, I think we can eliminate Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State, and Rutgers as possible road destinations for Dukies.

That leaves Michigan State, Purdue, and the Gophers.

It definitely won't be Sparty, as spartans67 explained above. ... Sparty-Duke already play one another Nov. 14 in the Champions Classic.

If Swanigan returns to West Lafayette, it's pretty much a lock it'll be Duke-Purdue. But if Biggie doesn't return, then I think there's a decent chance Duke comes to Williams Arena, especially if Vincent Edwards leaves along with Swanigan.

I can't see Duke playing anyone else on the road other than Purdue or the Gophers, unless ESPN & Delany screw us over and give Northwestern back-to-back home games so they can host Duke in a made-for-TV "Coach K vs. Collins" special.

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pull that off. But if Delany and the Execs are going to start up with these conspiracy theories, what's wrong with "Pitino v. Pitino"? That certainly has more intrigue i would think than a rematch of L'Ville and Purdue from a year ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pull that off. But if Delany and the Execs are going to start up with these conspiracy theories, what's wrong with "Pitino v. Pitino"? That certainly has more intrigue i would think than a rematch of L'Ville and Purdue from a year ago.

The Pitino vs. Pitino thing is neat and everything, but we've already done that. As much as I despise Coach K, they're still Duke. They're the gold standard for college basketball, even if their coach is an arrogant twit. No other program I'd more rather see make a visit to Williams Arena than the Dukies. The Barn would be electric, bedlam. Louisville, even with Papa Rick, wouldn't be quite the same. Louisville is not Duke.

The Pitino vs. Pitino thing is neat and everything, but we've already done that. As much as I despise Coach K, they're still Duke. They're the gold standard for college basketball, even if their coach is an arrogant twit. No other program I'd more rather see make a visit to Williams Arena than the Dukies. The Barn would be electric, bedlam. Louisville, even with Papa Rick, wouldn't be quite the same. Louisville is not Duke.

Oh yeah I totally agree. I'm just saying if people are going to manipulate with the games, and Duke does play NW, I'd rather have Louisville has a fall back game then a game against FSU/Miami/UVA/ND. If I had to choose, I would want to play Duke, then Louisville then ND, at least out of the viable options(I think UNC gets a home game next season so I didn't include them)

Oh yeah I totally agree. I'm just saying if people are going to manipulate with the games, and Duke does play NW, I'd rather have Louisville has a fall back game then a game against FSU/Miami/UVA/ND. If I had to choose, I would want to play Duke, then Louisville then ND, at least out of the viable options(I think UNC gets a home game next season so I didn't include them)

Agree.

Preference 1: Duke
Preference 2: Louisville
Preference 3: Notre Dame

If there's one team I don't want coming to The Barn it's Virginia. Difficult on the eyes to watch, hard to play against.

Agree.

If there's one team I don't want coming to The Barn it's Virginia. Difficult on the eyes to watch, hard to play against

Agree, and we also played them like 4 times already in the 16 year event. I just would prefer to play a team we haven't played in the challenge yet, this is our best year to do that.

Agree.

If there's one team I don't want coming to The Barn it's Virginia. Difficult on the eyes to watch, hard to play against.

Sorry, it's going to be UVa. We're required to play them or FSU in 4 out of every 5 years. We got an exotic chance to mix it up against Clemson two years ago, let's not get greedy. :cool:

Marcus tweet: U.S. Bank Stadium game will be in 2018

tjgopher was all over this.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So here is my stab at the conference schedule for MSU. Since the addition of Maryland and Rutgers at the start of the 14-15 season the conf schedule has been set up with 5 teams as home and home and the other 8 teams as either home (4) or away (4) single plays. Over the last three years, conf teams have played 11 Big 10 teams once as a home and home and 2 teams (in MSU's case Michigan and Ohio State) twice as home and homes. This is pretty typical of the other Big 10 teams where the teams they played home and home twice were typical rivals (Minn-Wisc/ Ind.-Purdue/ etc.). So now the unknown. Is the conference going to continue with protected rivals with scheduling? As it stands right now MSU has played each conference team 4 times (2 home, 2 road) and 2 "protected rivals" 5 times (Mich owes us a home game and we owe OSU a home game). The snag is that they can't simply reuse the 3 year model as that will skew the equal amounts of home contests for the "protected rivals". Here is what I'm thinking for MSU's schedule. The bolded teams I think are pretty solid and teams in parentheses are best guess.

Home: Penn State, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Michigan, Purdue, (Northwestern), (Wisconsin)
Away: Northwestern, Rutgers, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Nebraska, (Indiana), (Illinois), (Maryland)

To me the bolded teams are locked in as those are the teams that last played a single play against MSU moved to the opposite side (ex: we played PSU on the road last year, so they will play at Breslin next year). Basically the unknowns are the 5 double plays. What I did was take the teams that we haven't double played since the initial year (14-15) and made them double plays ( Illini, Indiana, NW, Maryland) with the exception of Michigan. so doing that left one game to fill on the schedule which would have been one home game which Michigan is already slotted for a home game, leaving an unknown home team. Will the two "protected rivals" stay the same over the next 3 year cycle? Will one stay the same and a new "protected rival" replace the other team? Will there be two new "protected rivals"? We will learn a lot about that when the conf announces the teams. My guess is that Michigan will stay as our protected rival and we will double play them in 18-19 and 19-20 and we will have a new second team. My guess would be Wisconsin to replace OSU.

So here is my stab at the conference schedule for MSU. Since the addition of Maryland and Rutgers at the start of the 14-15 season the conf schedule has been set up with 5 teams as home and home and the other 8 teams as either home (4) or away (4) single plays. Over the last three years, conf teams have played 11 Big 10 teams once as a home and home and 2 teams (in MSU's case Michigan and Ohio State) twice as home and homes. This is pretty typical of the other Big 10 teams where the teams they played home and home twice were typical rivals (Minn-Wisc/ Ind.-Purdue/ etc.). So now the unknown. Is the conference going to continue with protected rivals with scheduling? As it stands right now MSU has played each conference team 4 times (2 home, 2 road) and 2 "protected rivals" 5 times (Mich owes us a home game and we owe OSU a home game). The snag is that they can't simply reuse the 3 year model as that will skew the equal amounts of home contests for the "protected rivals". Here is what I'm thinking for MSU's schedule. The bolded teams I think are pretty solid and teams in parentheses are best guess.

Home: Penn State, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Michigan, Purdue, (Northwestern), (Wisconsin)
Away: Northwestern, Rutgers, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Nebraska, (Indiana), (Illinois), (Maryland)

To me the bolded teams are locked in as those are the teams that last played a single play against MSU moved to the opposite side (ex: we played PSU on the road last year, so they will play at Breslin next year). Basically the unknowns are the 5 double plays. What I did was take the teams that we haven't double played since the initial year (14-15) and made them double plays ( Illini, Indiana, NW, Maryland) with the exception of Michigan. so doing that left one game to fill on the schedule which would have been one home game which Michigan is already slotted for a home game, leaving an unknown home team. Will the two "protected rivals" stay the same over the next 3 year cycle? Will one stay the same and a new "protected rival" replace the other team? Will there be two new "protected rivals"? We will learn a lot about that when the conf announces the teams. My guess is that Michigan will stay as our protected rival and we will double play them in 18-19 and 19-20 and we will have a new second team. My guess would be Wisconsin to replace OSU.

Good stuff. Any chance you can do a projection for Minnesota? #GoGreen #SpartyOn #KillBubbaKill

Good stuff. Any chance you can do a projection for Minnesota? #GoGreen #SpartyOn #KillBubbaKill

Your protected rivals were pretty interesting: Wisconsin (no surprise) and Penn State (WHAT????) Your schedule was actually a lot cleaner to make as you played Penn State and Wisconsin double plays in the same season (14-15 and 16-17). MSU double played Mich in 14-15 and 16-17 and OSU in 15-16 and 16-17. So depending on how the league office handles this, you could possibly have the same schedule for the last three year cycle except flip flopping PSU and Wisconsin home/away single games in 18-19 (PSU at home and Wisc on road). Unless there is some underlying rivalry with PSU that I am unaware of I'm thinking that at least one protected rival will change. Same as MSU's above bold I'm pretty confident with parenthenses not as much.

Home: Purdue, NW, Illinois, Rutgers, PSU, OSU(Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin)
AWay: Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, MSU, Maryland (Purdue), (Illinois??? or PSU???)

After looking at MSU and Minn's 3 year model, why doesn't the BIg 10 do one protected rival for each team and then split the leftover twelve teams into three groups of 4 double plays? That would ensure a home and home with one rival each year and then an equal number of home and road games for the remaining twelve teams. Could look something like this.

MSU-Mich.
Wisc.-Minn.
Indiana-Purdue
Illinois-NW
Iowa-Nebraska
OSU-Maryland
PSU-Rutgers

Appreciate it a lot, thanks!

No problem. I was all in when you busted out the Bubba Smith chant :cool:
I feel that MSU certainly has a leg up for the conf if our two schedules shake out like this (I'm assuming MSU, Minn and Purdue are top 3 next year)...our road slate is much more manageable, especially with NW home games off campus next year.
BTW as a season ticket holder for MSU, I hope that conf home slate happens!!! Plus a probable home ACC challenge game.

After looking at MSU and Minn's 3 year model, why doesn't the BIg 10 do one protected rival for each team and then split the leftover twelve teams into three groups of 4 double plays? That would ensure a home and home with one rival each year and then an equal number of home and road games for the remaining twelve teams. Could look something like this.

MSU-Mich.
Wisc.-Minn.
Indiana-Purdue
Illinois-NW
Iowa-Nebraska
OSU-Maryland
PSU-Rutgers

They'll never do it, but I've always thought B1G should go back to traveling partners like the Pac 12 does. Nice and simple. The only traveling partners I'd change from what you have is put OSU-PSU together and Maryland-Rutgers together.

Top Bottom