From immortal to quite mortal, UK's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 yrs lat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Long and fascinating read per Pat Forde on Kentucky's "Unforgettables" under Rick Pitino:

Of course they still keep in touch. It’s sporadic at times – a couple of weeks, maybe, between calls or texts. But even in their 40s the bond is unbreakable, the memories living up to their collective nickname. They’ve shared in each other’s good times and helped each other through the hard times, teammates once and for all.

“We’re very, very close,” Pelphrey said. “The moments are very fresh and detailed and clear. I love and care about those guys, not just because of that game but because of everything together.

“We’ve gotten together over the last 25 years, all of us and Coach, and I can’t tell you how wonderful it was. This Italian mafia-speaking guy from New York City, for some reason he just fit with some guys from Kentucky. We’re still captivated by him.”

Kentuckians and many other college basketball fans are still captivated by this team. The one that walked away heartbroken from an athletic masterpiece. The most compelling of all losing teams.

Young men immortalized in defeat, The Unforgettables now are navigating a very mortal adulthood. But they’ll do it together.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/from-i...rs-after-their-greatest-moment-173201004.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom