Doogie on Connor Rhoda: "Remains my pick Wk 1 guy."

Yes, indeed. The fans' QB pecking order at any point in time is:

New True Freshman > Backup > Guy with 4* Coaches May Be Talking To > Current Starter > Walk-Ons > Guy Who Threw a Couple Bad Passes and Is Now Dead to Us

Too correct. Everyone's QB Starter Opinion on GH < What coaches decide is best for Team

The comments here on starting QB are hilarious, if not un-insightful.

...as they say "in my opinion".

Too correct. Everyone's QB Starter Opinion on GH < What coaches decide is best for Team

The comments here on starting QB are hilarious, if not un-insightful.

...as they say "in my opinion".

Has anyone ever stated or implied that their opinion is more important than that of the coaches? Where do you come up with this stuff?

could have sworn doogie's pick was morgan. in fact I KNOW there was a thread about it on here, just too lazy/busy to look it up.

My only problem with Rhoda is that if you accept that practice performance doesn't always equal game performance the little bits we saw of Rhoda in live action were less appealing than the little bits we saw of Croft. The fact that the sample size is so small for both guys coming into this year is something that rests on the previous coaching staff, but obviously not their problem anymore. The fact that Rhoda was ready to walk away and is the coaches favorite right now to be the starter wk1 says volumes about the rest of the stable.

Have you seen anything in print regarding the QB performances of either Green or McLaurin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McLaurin - no. Just PJF's comments at the signing social which sounded like Fleck didn't really want him here. I would hope he still gets a shot to win the job, but the fact Fleck knew absolutely nothing about him other than he was enrolled already makes me question whether he'll even get a legit chance...

Green - only last year, which supposedly he had passed Croft on the depth chart and possibly Rhoda other than they were trying to preserve his RS. But then supposedly so had Williams, and now he's a WR (according to the official roster). And who's to say Croft might not have been a little banged up at the time.

Was Green practicing? I'm wondering if he hadn't been reinstated until after the "final" appeal was done, even though I don't think he was directly involved in the appeal. I seem to think they said the five returning players were all reinstated like it happened at the same time. It could just be that Fleck hadn't really seen him yet. Does anyone know?

It's still a little surprising not to mention him (like "I can't wait to see him play" or similar) if he hadn't seen him, but he might have forgotten about it in the moment. I'll be much more concerned if he doesn't mention Green AFTER spring practice.

If he doesn't fit the new scheme would he be a candidate to change positions, or is he pretty much just a QB?

My only problem with Rhoda is that if you accept that practice performance doesn't always equal game performance the little bits we saw of Rhoda in live action were less appealing than the little bits we saw of Croft. The fact that the sample size is so small for both guys coming into this year is something that rests on the previous coaching staff, but obviously not their problem anymore. The fact that Rhoda was ready to walk away and is the coaches favorite right now to be the starter wk1 says volumes about the rest of the stable.

Not sure I agree with that. I thought both looked lost and overwhelmed and made some really poor decisions. The biggest difference was it seemed like they simplified the offense more for Rhoda than Croft, but both looked quite shaky. I have more hope in Croft only because he was a true freshman and wasn't adequately prepared at the time. Rhoda was a 4th year player. If all I had to judge on was those two performances I'd say none of the above, but both, either or neither may pick up and fit the new offense much better and be able to be successful.

If you are asking my opinion I think Tanner Morgan starts the season. Just my guess. I listen to Ryan Burn's podcast and he is very high on Tanner Morgan. I just can't see him sitting out the whole year. PJ Fleck is a first year coach and many coaches like to win or lose with "their guy" at QB. Morgan decommited and went with Fleck from WMU to Minnesota.

I only know as much as the rest of you on here but I'm basing my opinion on what I learned from Ryan Burns and what I read online. Of course Rhoda is a senior and I could be completely wrong but that is my opinion and what I'm basing it on.

In short speculating is fun isn't it? :)

WFGF

I would trust what Burns' says about recruiting, but do you really trust his evaluation of talent or X's and O's? He is the best covering recruiting but he is definitely a gopher homer and I question how much he really knows other than news/recruiting.

Rhoda is a 5th year senior. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone that he might be ahead of some freshmen and sophomores after the 3rd spring practice.

The QB competition has a long time to play out before Buffalo...

I'll go out on a limb and say Morgan starts week 1. I watched every one of his highlight vids, and love the kid's poise. Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. I realize some will roll their eyes at that, but so be it.

I'll go out on a limb and say Morgan starts week 1. I watched every one of his highlight vids, and love the kid's poise. Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. I realize some will roll their eyes at that, but so be it.

I was thinking more like Joe Montana.

I would trust what Burns' says about recruiting, but do you really trust his evaluation of talent or X's and O's? He is the best covering recruiting but he is definitely a gopher homer and I question how much he really knows other than news/recruiting.

Thank you!

Well its not going to be Williams...

From Pioneer Press:

The Gophers’ quarterback competition had one fewer entrant and an honorary guest during Thursday’s practice.

Freshman quarterback Mark Williams is exploring a position switch and will try out at wide receiver, cornerback and safety during spring practices, coach P.J. Fleck said. Williams also practiced at wideout during his redshirt year in 2016.

“Right now, I feel like he’s best suited at those spots,” Fleck said. “If I feel like we have to move him back to quarterback, we will. But I feel like we are far enough along at quarterback and have some depth there.”

So he's "trying out" at WR, C and S. At the risk of sounding cynical, sounds like something you'd hear from a HS team. "Hey dad, I'm trying out for the FB team." "That's nice son - just make sure you do your homework."

Doogie on Connor Rhoda: &quot;Remains my pick Wk 1 guy.&quot;

PJ mentioned Rhoda in a very good light recently, also mentioned Morgan and Croft. He did NOT mention SETH GREEN!! Maybe he's used to not mentioning him cuz of the case. I like Green, As the MN boy that's who I'm rooting for, so well just say it's because of the case for now... and yes I realize Rhoda is from MN too. He's my 2nd choice.

Top Bottom