Doogie on Connor Rhoda: "Remains my pick Wk 1 guy."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wide open competition. Lots of options.

What sets Sam Darnold apart is his absolute calm in the midst of chaos. He is the zen master. It doesn't hurt that he has a nice arm and mobility and can improvise on the fly like Bret Favre.

What intrigues me about Croft is in the interviews I've seen he has that laconic, calm demeanor that is so important for someone that deals with high stress situations. I can see that personality type being dismissed by a type A extrovert like Fleck. One of Mitch's issues is he was very clearly too amped up and wound too tight and it tended to escalate on him.

Maybe Croft doesn't have "it" and never will. Maybe he doesn't like to study. But, he has a beautiful stroke, strikes an imposing figure, can move well enough. it will be interesting to see if Fleck goes with "his guy". Time will tell.

Rhoda might start the season but Tanner Morgan will be starting before the end of the year.

This is pretty close to where I'm at right now. I have no issue with Rhoda starting the season, but I think someone else COULD take over shortly into the BT slate, such as Morgan. If Fleck starts Rhoda in Week One he at least appears to not be a guy locked into "his" guys, but ultimately it probably goes that way.

I think I'm pulling for Croft, as Pompous alluded to below, he's got some tools and could be good; but ultimately like it was mentioned, he might just not have "it". Time will tell.

Rhoda might start the season but Tanner Morgan will be starting before the end of the year.

I don't necessarily disagree, but do you think if this is happens it would mean our season will not have been successful? Can't think of many (maybe my blinders are on) examples where a D1 program handed the reigns to a new quarterback mid-season when everything was hunky-dory.

He can hit the curve ball, and he just needs some playing time!

I think anything is possible except McLaurin or Green starting at QB. The big problem is we only have 7 healthy OLs so we can't run two huddles. That will cut down on available snaps, which I assume means they'll give those to the serious contenders. I wonder if they'll use the long snappers at center.

Those three make the most sense since they are likely the most accurate passers on the roster. I think it'll be a toss up between Croft/Rhoda. I'm sure they would like to try and redshirt Morgan unless he's head and shoulders above Croft/Rhoda.

People jump on the wagon with the new gig all the time. Croft was that new guy, and then Kill threw him to the wolves with no chance of success at Northwestern. He has a ton of talent, and has good or better chance than anyone. It is usually someone who has been around who plays, and is rarely the new guy everyone gets excited about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wide open competition. Lots of options.

We have a long ways to go. I agree with this assessment. We want quarterbacks to throw on the "money." Stay healthy if at all possible. Be a good team leader and of course produce. Let's not act like Phillip Nelson where he wanted to be the appointed quarterback long before the season started. You have to earn it and you earn it through hard work.

I think anything is possible except McLaurin or Green starting at QB. The big problem is we only have 7 healthy OLs so we can't run two huddles. That will cut down on available snaps, which I assume means they'll give those to the serious contenders. I wonder if they'll use the long snappers at center.

I don't think that's true. In all reality, they can put a few equipment managers or backup DL or just about any warm body in there, provided it's minimal contact situations, in order to get some solid rep work done. Lots of creative ways to get work done in practice. High quality, live game situation work? Maybe not, but they'll get plenty of work. It's not like the staff didn't have time to prepare for this over the last 2 months.

People jump on the wagon with the new gig all the time. Croft was that new guy, and then Kill threw him to the wolves with no chance of success at Northwestern. He has a ton of talent, and has good or better chance than anyone. It is usually someone who has been around who plays, and is rarely the new guy everyone gets excited about.

Yes, indeed. The fans' QB pecking order at any point in time is:

New True Freshman > Backup > Guy with 4* Coaches May Be Talking To > Current Starter > Walk-Ons > Guy Who Threw a Couple Bad Passes and Is Now Dead to Us

If he does start and is replaced, wouldn't it mean the season probably is not going well for the Gophers...as in a lot of losses?

New True Freshman > Backup > Guy with 4* Coaches May Be Talking To > Current Starter > Walk-Ons > Guy Who Threw a Couple Bad Passes and Is Now Dead to Us

Hot JUCO prospect fits in there somewhere...

If he does start and is replaced, wouldn't it mean the season probably is not going well for the Gophers...as in a lot of losses?

If you are asking my opinion I think Tanner Morgan starts the season. Just my guess. I listen to Ryan Burn's podcast and he is very high on Tanner Morgan. I just can't see him sitting out the whole year. PJ Fleck is a first year coach and many coaches like to win or lose with "their guy" at QB. Morgan decommited and went with Fleck from WMU to Minnesota.

I only know as much as the rest of you on here but I'm basing my opinion on what I learned from Ryan Burns and what I read online. Of course Rhoda is a senior and I could be completely wrong but that is my opinion and what I'm basing it on.

In short speculating is fun isn't it? :)

WFGF

New True Freshman > Backup > Guy with 4* Coaches May Be Talking To > Current Starter > Walk-Ons > Guy Who Threw a Couple Bad Passes and Is Now Dead to Us>Former hated QB now QB coach>ML7

FIFY

I think Morgan starts game 1. So there...

And for all the redshirt burners, who cares.

If you are asking my opinion I think Tanner Morgan starts the season. Just my guess. I listen to Ryan Burn's podcast and he is very high on Tanner Morgan. I just can't see him sitting out the whole year. PJ Fleck is a first year coach and many coaches like to win or lose with "their guy" at QB. Morgan decommited and went with Fleck from WMU to Minnesota.

I only know as much as the rest of you on here but I'm basing my opinion on what I learned from Ryan Burns and what I read online. Of course Rhoda is a senior and I could be completely wrong but that is my opinion and what I'm basing it on.

In short speculating is fun isn't it? :)

WFGF

Not what I was asking...if Rhoda starts game 1 and then is replaced as starter, doesn't that point to the Gophs not doing well?

Not what I was asking...if Rhoda starts game 1 and then is replaced as starter, doesn't that point to the Gophs not doing well?

Could point to the fact they started the senior because he had some experience and after a few games they realize the freshman is ready to lead the team and has more pure ability. I don't know any of that to be true, but there are a number of reasons changes are made and they aren't all because the team is in free fall.

Could point to the fact they started the senior because he had some experience and after a few games they realize the freshman is ready to lead the team and has more pure ability. I don't know any of that to be true, but there are a number of reasons changes are made and they aren't all because the team is in free fall.

Sure, he could get in trouble or have academic problems (don't see either happening with Rhoda) or something? Guess I can't see replacing a starting QB if Gophs are winning and the QB does not have some injury or physical issue because someone else "looks ready" to be the starter in practice.

No mention of Seth Green or Neil McLaurin.

What is it, not good or quick enough decision makers, can't throw accurate passes?

No mention of Seth Green or Neil McLaurin.

What is it, not good or quick enough decision makers, can't throw accurate passes?

Based on nothing more than PJF's comments at the signing social, I think I may have a better chance at playing QB than McLaurin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom