News, Notes, Tid-Bits & Quotes: Fleck Addresses Media After Practice #3

Talked to someone that was at yesterdays practice. Yes it was uptempo, but no more than the previous staff ran.
There were some different drills and things, but the tempo wasn't anything new.

Nope all the same, all coaches are the same no way one can be better at teaching than the other. Fleck runs his practices exactly like Claeys. Having two wins over ranked teams in six years is acceptable because Brewster was so bad. Being dead last in recruiting is also acceptable because player development especially with WR's and QB's.

Calm down JohnnyBoy

You do know I like PJF and think he is going to do great things here, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive heard you say that yes. But how can his comments about having up tempo practices possibly bother you? You're pretty damn nit picky with what the man says that's for sure.

Ive heard you say that yes. But how can his comments about having up tempo practices possibly bother you? You're pretty damn nit picky with what the man says that's for sure.

“We’ve got to learn how to practice, Fleck said. “I think that’s the biggest thing. We practiced at a pretty high tempo. This was only their third time doing this. They’re not decisive enough yet, but they will get there.”

This is where I rolled my eyes. Different strokes for different folks Beatles. I'm happy you like these comments. I don't. But I like PJF.

"We’ve got to learn how to practice, Fleck said. “I think that’s the biggest thing. We practiced at a pretty high tempo. This was only their third time doing this. They’re not decisive enough yet, but they will get there.”

Is taken as some sort of earth shattering revelation from Fleck about how the team practices in a way that has never been done before. Reading way too much into it. Or simply looking for anything to dislike about Fleck.

Oh, I'm sure there are differences. It is the idea that having an uptempo practice is so earth shattering here that sticks in my craw. As I said, the same article was written when Kill arrived.

You are correct that when Kill got here he talked about going more up tempo in practice and he did. My guess is the only real difference between Fleck uptempo and Kill uptempo is Fleck himself. Haven't seen a practice live but from the videos that have been posted and notes on how Fleck is I don't think there are many coaches that can match his energy during practice. He is running all over the field and to the players probably feels like he is everywhere.

Let's not forget that when PJF got here he also said he couldn't wait for the media to see practice as it would "be like nothing you have ever seen before." Now when talking about practice he singles out how uptempo it is and how the kids are still learning how to practice, but they'll get it (eventually).

I have my opinion on what he is getting at. These comments make me roll my eyes and the Flecksters can't have that. Feel free to disagree with me, won't be the first (or last) time.

If pointing out the that some posters on GH are looking for any reason to criticize Fleck makes me a Fleckster so be it.

It's now a controversy that PJ Fleck said that players have to get used to a different style of practice. Not like that should be expected with a new coach or anything.

Re: the QB situation - correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Seth Green has been practicing before this week, because his portion of the sex case was under another appeal. I believe the U put out a statement on Monday saying that Green (and four other players) had been officially reinstated to the team. That suggests they were not active participants until this week.

As far as the pissing match - I'm sure Fleck does some things differently than the previous coaching staff. Is it some revolutionary development that has never been done before in FB history? No. It's more a difference in style. And Fleck does have a different style. We'll see how it all works out this fall.

I'm not going to come on here and nit-pick everything Fleck says or does. I hope the team does well. Having said that, I still think Fleck is way too "over-the-top" for my taste, but I'll give him a chance to see if he can win at this level.

Considering Chris Hawthorne's tweet who had three years of practices during the Kill era, there must be some differences.

Love Chris. Great guy. Have tailgated with Chris.

Take Hawthorne Tweet with perspective he makes his living getting people excited enough in Gopher sports to write big checks.

Hawthorne was a great recruit...staff saw some gaps in depth and got a transfer to fill gap. Kicking and punting depth is good, but hope Fleck tries to fill other gaps..

"The main competition on the roster is at the quarterback position with Conor Rhoda, Tanner Morgan, and Demry Croft all battling for the starting role." I wonder after two practices if this was an observation guess or PJ's answer to a question.

I've seen Fleck mention those three (and those three exclusively) in several media reports over the past few weeks. It seems to be coming from him.

Re: the QB situation - correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Seth Green has been practicing before this week, because his portion of the sex case was under another appeal. I believe the U put out a statement on Monday saying that Green (and four other players) had been officially reinstated to the team. That suggests they were not active participants until this week.

As far as the pissing match - I'm sure Fleck does some things differently than the previous coaching staff. Is it some revolutionary development that has never been done before in FB history? No. It's more a difference in style. And Fleck does have a different style. We'll see how it all works out this fall.

I'm not going to come on here and nit-pick everything Fleck says or does. I hope the team does well. Having said that, I still think Fleck is way too "over-the-top" for my taste, but I'll give him a chance to see if he can win at this level.

Green wasn't part of the appeal process.

Would love to know what the 22 surgeries were for and when the injury occurred. seems like we had very few guys out injured last season. Wasn't there a change in the training room over the summer leading into 2016 season? Starting to wonder if some of these surgeries are hold overs from the previous training room staff that may not have been addressed in a timely manner...hence the change.

"The main competition on the roster is at the quarterback position with Conor Rhoda, Tanner Morgan, and Demry Croft all battling for the starting role." I wonder after two practices if this was an observation guess or PJ's answer to a question.

No coach would be stupid enough to say that on the record. Almost any sports reporter would be stupid enough to write it.

You do know I like PJF and think he is going to do great things here, right?

Not sure if you're serious here but if you are: no, I would not have gathered that from your posts at all. To me, your posts indicate a fervent animosity towards PJF. I'm sure a lot of your true feelings toward the current staff get lost in the ongoing pissing match you've had about the previous staff, but that should be the takeaway here - Let's spend more time in the present and let our licensed therapists deal with the other stuff.

Not sure if you're serious here but if you are: no, <b>I would not have gathered that from your posts at all. </b>To me, your posts indicate a fervent animosity towards PJF. I'm sure a lot of your true feelings toward the current staff get lost in the ongoing pissing match you've had about the previous staff, but that should be the takeaway here - Let's spend more time in the present and let our licensed therapists deal with the other stuff.

You mean other than the countless posts where I have said I think PJF was a good hire and will be successful here?

I have said it too many times, but I will again. I like PJF. I think he will do great. I spent my $ to go listen to him speak. I own a #RowsBowl Tshirt. Dude is driven and successful - two great qualities. The kids seem to like him and he seems to get how important recruiting is and appears he could be good at it (time will tell tho). I think we have a chance to make the first rose bowl in my lifetime with PJF. Frankly, I'm more bullish than most the Flecksters here - especially in 2017.

I don't like the rhetoric. That's clear. I wouldn't call that animosity, much less feverish animosity. I would say I don't like his style. I'm cynical about a lot of that. I think much of it is silly and some of it is nonsense. I know many don't agree - but even PJF has said some won't like his style (Spoofin). That should be OK. That doesn't mean I am rooting for anything other than success for the Gophers and PJF. It doesn't mean I'm not glad he is our coach. IMO the lesson here is that you don't have to love everything about him in order to be pro-Fleck. Something to think about.

As for the previous staff - I loved Kill, liked TC, didn't want him fired, hate how MC did it, and think he got screwed by a terrible AD. However, if I had to choose him or PJF, at this point I would choose PJF. Feverish Animosity?

You mean other than the countless posts where I have said I think PJF was a good hire and will be successful here?

I have said it too many times, but I will again. I like PJF. I think he will do great. I spent my $ to go listen to him speak. I own a #RowsBowl Tshirt. Dude is driven and successful - two great qualities. The kids seem to like him and he seems to get how important recruiting is and appears he could be good at it (time will tell tho). I think we have a chance to make the first rose bowl in my lifetime with PJF. Frankly, I'm more bullish than most the Flecksters here - especially in 2017.

I don't like the rhetoric. That's clear. I wouldn't call that animosity, much less feverish animosity. I would say I don't like his style. I'm cynical about a lot of that. I think much of it is silly and some of it is nonsense. I know many don't agree - but even PJF has said some won't like his style (Spoofin). That should be OK. That doesn't mean I am rooting for anything other than success for the Gophers and PJF. It doesn't mean I'm not glad he is our coach. IMO the lesson here is that you don't have to love everything about him in order to be pro-Fleck. Something to think about.

As for the previous staff - I loved Kill, liked TC, didn't want him fired, hate how MC did it, and think he got screwed by a terrible AD. However, if I had to choose him or PJF, at this point I would choose PJF. Feverish Animosity?

I doubt if anyone here is making a checklist over who said what, dude (dpo excepted, obviously). You might have been positive at times but the overall impression your comments give is that PJF is a circus freak - which is too bad because the rest of your takes are solid. This is the effect of the back and forth you've been engaged in for months - all nuance is lost. Is HYPRR ridiculous? Yes. Should "elite" be used as an adverb? Hard no to that. But the upside here is new territory in my opinion and I'm aligning myself firmly in the open arms camp for PJF as I am reserving my bitterness for the upcoming Twins season.

I doubt if anyone here is making a checklist over who said what, dude (dpo excepted, obviously). You might have been positive at times but the overall impression your comments give is that PJF is a circus freak - which is too bad because the rest of your takes are solid. This is the effect of the back and forth you've been engaged in for months - all nuance is lost. Is HYPRR ridiculous? Yes. Should "elite" be used as an adverb? Hard no to that. But the upside here is new territory in my opinion and I'm aligning myself firmly in the open arms camp for PJF as I am reserving my bitterness for the upcoming Twins season.

So you basically have the same take as Spoofin. ..you think his shtick is ridiculous but have high hopes for him. But you're a better person...got it Mr. High Road.

Hater

Where did you buy that?

We just can't be excited about Fleck without putting down the previous staff.
Its a comparison not a put down there are many highly successful coaches that coach at a slower pace

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"We’ve got to learn how to practice, Fleck said. “I think that’s the biggest thing. We practiced at a pretty high tempo. This was only their third time doing this. They’re not decisive enough yet, but they will get there.”

Is taken as some sort of earth shattering revelation from Fleck about how the team practices in a way that has never been done before. Reading way too much into it. Or simply looking for anything to dislike about Fleck.
Every rime a new coach comes in thwee is a learning curve this was not a.atab at precious coaches
Considering Chris Hawthorne's tweet who had three years of practices during the Kill era, there must be some differences.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom