News, Notes, Tid-Bits & Quotes: Fleck Addresses Media After Practice #3

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
P.J. Fleck Addresses the Media After Spring Practice Three
By Daniel House

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/772617?referrer_id=

Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck spoke with the media following the third spring practice of the season. The Gophers practiced for an hour and a half and moved between drills at a very high tempo. Fleck hollered out motivational phrases throughout practice and had players moving the entire session. Fleck calls this type of practice “organized chaos.” He said the players are adapting, but there is still a learning curve they will face.

“We’ve got to learn how to practice, Fleck said. “I think that’s the biggest thing. We practiced at a pretty high tempo. This was only their third time doing this. They’re not decisive enough yet, but they will get there.”

Fleck’s energy level rubs off on the players as he sprints across the field and provides 1-on-1 instruction for his players. He doesn’t see this being any different than how he lives his life on and off the field.

“If I don’t have the energy, how can they bring the energy?” Fleck said. “I’m just me. I just like being me. There’s a high, high standard of how we do things. Not what we do, but how we do it.”

The Gophers practiced outside in the elements on a 39-degree day in Minneapolis. Fleck figured the players should get adjusted to the climate they will play in come November.

“First of all, it’s sunny, we are in Minnesota, and it’s in March, and it’s about 30 degrees. You can bet we are outside,” Fleck said.

Minnesota practiced with their full roster Tuesday after cornerback Antoine Winfield, quarterback Mark Williams, and running back Kobe McCrary were cleared by the University in a sexual assault investigation Monday. Fleck said he was happy to have the players back on the field.

“First of all those guys are students first,” he said “They went through a policy that the University sets. I’m just glad to have the guys back.”

The team practiced with the reinstated players, but the Gophers only had five healthy offensive lineman on the field. The Gophers were forced to play freshman up front, but Fleck feels the extra reps will benefit the players in the future. He said the more important factor will be to improve the training of these players to prevent future surgeries.

“We had five out there today. I’ve never been around a program where there is only five healthy lineman,” he said. “It’s a challenge, it’s not a problem. What the problem is is the 22 surgeries we’ve had; we’ve got to get that fixed.”

The first-year coach thought he was going to be playing left tackle when a player’s shoelace snapped during a session of practice.

“We had a kid break a shoelace and it’s like the world stopped turning for a minute. I was literally ready to play left tackle,” he laughed.

The main competition on the roster is at the quarterback position with Conor Rhoda, Tanner Morgan, and Demry Croft all battling for the starting role. Fleck has been pleased with all of them, but said he won’t make any judgments until the team dives into more situational work.

“25 percent of the offense is in, but now it is going to start picking up with situational football, and that’s where I really want to see how they handle themselves,” Fleck said. “Football is a game of situations; it’s not just plays.”

Fleck said he showed the players a video of Chicago Cubs GM Theo Epstein and the vision he had five years ago for the baseball team. He used Epstien’s journey to a World Series as a model for the culture Minnesota football is developing.

“We showed them [Epstien’s] vision four or five years ago,” Fleck said. “He talked about the right people in the organization that understand their role at a very, very high level.”

P.J. Fleck and the coaching staff continue to craft this vision with the focus, tempo, and organized chaos on the practice field. They continue to strive toward the goal of building a new championship culture.

“One thing about our program from this point forward is there is no ceiling. We are going to break the glass ceiling every single day and we are going to create a new one,” he said.

Thank you for the summary, very good stuff.

“If I don’t have the energy, how can they bring the energy?” Fleck said. “I’m just me. I just like being me. There’s a high, high standard of how we do things. Not what we do, but how we do it.”

Soon to follow, how many don't like you (PJ) being you.

"The main competition on the roster is at the quarterback position with Conor Rhoda, Tanner Morgan, and Demry Croft all battling for the starting role." I wonder after two practices if this was an observation guess or PJ's answer to a question.

Still can't get over 22 surgeries. He says we have to cut down on that. I'll be curious how many we have next year.

Good interview.

How many O-linemen are currently injured and expected back by the fall?

Interesting that both Green and McLaurin not mentioned at QB considering some were reporting Green had the inside track over Croft under the Claeys regime (specifically rumblings from Goblirsch IIRC). Personally I hope Croft can pull it all together but I'll be ecstatic if Morgan is so good he beats out the others as a true Frosh. If so that means good tidings for the future, or Croft and Green just don't have it.

Hard not to be enthused about Gopher football regardless of what some GH's think. You play like you practice. Like the idea of not what we do but how we do it. Be interested to see what happens with a new S and C coach. Certainly has to be an improvement over Klein. Some of the surgeries certainly could be attributable to strength and conditioning. In my eyes, if we only have 5 offensive linemen, then don't have a spring game. A regular practice would be more valuable as more players will get more reps.

They went through a policy that the University sets. I’m just glad to have the guys back.

That's about the best way you can say it.

So we keep hearing about the speed of practice, non stop tempo, and they will learn how to practice. I know that Kill said the exact same thing and ran a very up tempo practice with constant motion when he first got here. Granted I only went to a few paractices but it sure seemed to be that way. Anyone else recall those statements from Kill or observe this?

They went through a policy that the University sets. I’m just glad to have the guys back.

That's about the best way you can say it.[/QUOT
This is better......
They went through a policy that the University sets. I’m just glad to have the guys back. Row the Boat. Ski U Mah!

Yes, exactly the same words

So we keep hearing about the speed of practice, non stop tempo, and they will learn how to practice. I know that Kill said the exact same thing and ran a very up tempo practice with constant motion when he first got here. Granted I only went to a few paractices but it sure seemed to be that way. Anyone else recall those statements from Kill or observe this?

And Kill's practices did move along...there was very little down time between 11 on 11 offense/defense plays. Rapid fire. Drills moved from one to another with tempo for sure. Anxious to see how much faster PJ's is. Obviously PJ's system has been good to him. I'm sure he is refining it all time to make it even better.

Yep. Of course, there's tempo and then there's tempo. Regarding Kill that is sort of humorous as his was the anti-tempo team for the ages. A tortoise-like and leisurely offense; my kingdom for a two minute drill or a timely play call to avoid a timeout. And then there are the reports of WMU being a ball-control team despite being a spread offense. I suppose the breakneck pace in practice is more for the overall conditioning, particularly defense, and to stress the QBs mentally before the bullets start flying.

Love Fleck. Love tid-bits.

Former Gopher Chris Hawthorne chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if the players miss the naps and cheese & cracker snacks they used to get during practice before PJF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We actually will have 14 on the roster for fall. My question was how many are expected to be back and ready to play as I haven't heard the nature of the injuries.

I wonder if the players miss the naps and cheese & cracker snacks they used to get during practice before PJF?

We just can't be excited about Fleck without putting down the previous staff.

This same story was printed when Kill was hired. There is nothing to be excited about in regards to this Up-Tempo Style being some type of drastic change or a change in "culture". The implications on how this is being presented by PJF is comical. It is just more being fed to the Flecksters. IMO, of course.

This same story was printed when Kill was hired. There is nothing to be excited about in regards to this Up-Tempo Style being some type of drastic change or a change in "culture". The implications on how this is being presented by PJF is comical. It is just more being fed to the Flecksters. IMO, of course.

Considering Chris Hawthorne's tweet who had three years of practices during the Kill era, there must be some differences.

Considering Chris Hawthorne's tweet who had three years of practices during the Kill era, there must be some differences.

Nope all the same, all coaches are the same no way one can be better at teaching than the other. Fleck runs his practices exactly like Claeys. Having two wins over ranked teams in six years is acceptable because Brewster was so bad. Being dead last in recruiting is also acceptable because player development especially with WR's and QB's.

Oh, I'm sure there are differences. It is the idea that having an uptempo practice is so earth shattering here that sticks in my craw. As I said, the same article was written when Kill arrived.

Oh, I'm sure there are differences. It is the idea that having an uptempo practice is so earth shattering here that sticks in my craw. As I said, the same article was written when Kill arrived.

No one said up-tempo practices are earth shattering straw man.

No one said up-tempo practices are earth shattering straw man.

Well, if you didn't get that impression from what PJF was saying in the OP, then we will just disagree.

Nope all the same, all coaches are the same no way one can be better at teaching than the other. Fleck runs his practices exactly like Claeys. Having two wins over ranked teams in six years is acceptable because Brewster was so bad. Being dead last in recruiting is also acceptable because player development especially with WR's and QB's.

Johnny Olson:

Good question, but maybe not completely fair. Many of these guys are just trolling.

You shouldn't let things get in your craw. That sounds gross and unsanitary.

Well, if you didn't get that impression from what PJF was saying in the OP, then we will just disagree.

You look way to hard at what Fleck says for anything you can rip him for. He simply talks about fast up-tempo practices and some way somehow you find a way to find a problem with it. It's pathetic.

You look way to hard at what Fleck says for anything you can rip him for. He simply talks about fast up-tempo practices and some way somehow you find a way to find a problem with it. It's pathetic.

You do know I like PJF and think he is going to do great things here, right?

I think every "new coach" "changes" article is effectively the same. Replace "culture" and "elite" with whatever else and it's all the same.

Top Bottom