2016-2017 Transfer List

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
The McIntosh thread started to turn into a transfer thread so we should probably have a separate thread for all of the transfer news.

I'm sure Jeff Goodman will be updating the list below in the next few days. Duane Wilson, Elijah Brown, and possibly Mikyle McIntosh are the most interesting names for the Gophers. Pitino actually recruited Wilson. I was a pretty big fan of Wilson's coming out of high school, where he teamed up with Diamond Stone to make a pretty amazing 1-2 punch. And nothing has been announced yet, but word on the street is that Gilbert is probably going to transfer so we'll have at least one scholarship open up. Two if Gaston decides he wants some playing time. Hopefully we don't lose anyone from our regular rotation.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...59/2016-2017-college-basketball-transfer-list

When do these decisions usually get announced? End of school? Shortly after? Depends?

Brown is a volume shooter. He'll want to go where he can take a ton of shots.

Grad transfer 2 guard or a pure transfer center. Those should be the focus.

We need a back up center bad or it will cost us in the tournament next year Konate can not play meaningful minutes he's just not talented enough to play in the big ten and in big games

Dare We Dream: Travis would make Gophers the B1G favorite

If Reid Travis announces he's graduating and wants to transfer, there's the missing piece to a B1G title run. But someone's feelings would get hurt if he came here. He'd be a starter, and the bench would be robust & versatile, play big or small.

G: Coffey & Mason
F: Murphy & Travis
C: Lynch

Could this lineup guard a small starting lineup? Elite wings could be problematic for Murphy?

Bench
Smalls: McBrayer, Washington
Bigs: Curry

That's a stellar 8-man rotation, plus room for spot duty for Fitzgerald (if he's healthy & any good) and Bakary (bang & board for a few minutes, when needed).

If Reid Travis announces he's graduating and wants to transfer, there's the missing piece to a B1G title run. But someone's feelings would get hurt if he came here. He'd be a starter, and the bench would be robust & versatile, play big or small.

G: Coffey & Mason
F: Murphy & Travis
C: Lynch

Could this lineup guard a small starting lineup?

Bench
Smalls: McBrayer, Washington
Bigs: Curry

That's a stellar 8-man rotation, plus room for spot duty for Fitzgerald (if he's healthy, and any good) and Bakary (bang & board for a few minutes, when needed).

I don't think Travis, Murph, and Lynch on the floor at the same time would work. The floor spacing would be horrific. That lineup would rebound like crazy though. If, and I mean a big IF, Reid transferred here, I would probably start him at C.

If, and I mean a big IF, Reid transferred here, I would probably start him at C.

Yep, was thinking the same thing, but couldn't bring myself to put Reggie on the bench. Certainly would help curtail Reggie's foul problems, I would hope, and would balance the lineup (with McBrayer starting).

Does anyone have reliable information one way or another if Travis is on pace to graduate early? Obviously the conversation stops there if he isn't. I would love to have a shot at him as a grad transfer because when healthy he's been an extremely solid low-post scorer and rebounder, and we can't have too many of those.

A stud 2 guard that could average 15+ PPG that we would only have for one year. Would likely be the case for both players next year.

Id rather have Trent Jr than Brown, based on overall game and athleticism and size. However, Brown might contribute more right away than Trent would due to advanced age

You would be trading a guy who averaged 6 blocks per 40 minutes for a guy who averaged 0.2.

I don't know if "trading" is the right word, considering Lynch would be our 6th man. I think Lynch coming off the bench is the ideal situation.

If he were to transfer here it would be to start the following year but Travis is gone and he ain't coming back. I'm sure he has NBA aspirations, sitting a year or going somewhere he would play less doesn't help that. You do not move the Big Ten DPOTY to the bench anyway nor will an upperclassmen big want to transfer in to share minutes with him. Konate will play 10-15 minutes next year and we will be fine. Curry will probably even see his minutes increased at the 5 as he continues to develop. If the Gophers bring in a grad transfer it will not be a center.

Id rather have Trent Jr than Brown, based on overall game and athleticism and size. However, Brown might contribute more right away than Trent would due to advanced age

I mean Brown did average nearly 22 PPG as a sophomore while shooting over 39% from 3 and would provide some senior leadership in the Springs role.

Oh well, probably doesn't matter.

If he were to transfer here it would be to start the following year but Travis is gone and he ain't coming back. I'm sure he has NBA aspirations, sitting a year or going somewhere he would play less doesn't help that. You do not move the Big Ten DPOTY to the bench anyway nor will an upperclassmen big want to transfer in to share minutes with him. Konate will play 10-15 minutes next year and we will be fine. Curry will probably even see his minutes increased at the 5 as he continues to develop. If the Gophers bring in a grad transfer it will not be a center.

No one really thinks Travis is transferring, it was just a hypothetical.

Regarding BK, I don't share the same sentiment as you. If he has to play 10-15 minutes a game next year, we are in trouble. He just isn't a high major player unfortunately. Curry can play the 5 in certain matchups, but against bigger centers, he just isn't big enough. This team would benefit greatly by not having a large dropoff when Lynch gets into foul trouble and has to come out of the game.

I see a couple of scenarios. If Travis somehow transfers here then he would move Murph to the bench and Lynch would start but not play as many minutes (fouls). Mason, Dupree, Coffey, Travis, Lynch (Murph, Curry, Washington, Harris) 9 man rotation. We could get a 2 guard as a transfer and have him be the 6th man/ starter similar to Springs and we keep the same lineup as this year with the 2 new freshmen adding minutes. We could also not take any transfers and add Fitzgerald + 2 freshmen to take Springs and some of Bfs minutes. Of course all speculation.

Holy balls, the lack of basic basketball knowledge from some posters here is astounding.

You don't think Lynch coming off the bench would be an ideal situation? That would mean we have a center better than him and our success would not be bound to the quality of his decision making. Thus, someone like Travis would be the ideal grad transfer.

No one really thinks Travis is transferring, it was just a hypothetical.

Regarding BK, I don't share the same sentiment as you. If he has to play 10-15 minutes a game next year, we are in trouble. He just isn't a high major player unfortunately. Curry can play the 5 in certain matchups, but against bigger centers, he just isn't big enough. This team would benefit greatly by not having a large dropoff when Lynch gets into foul trouble and has to come out of the game.

I don't understand how people can watch games this year and not understand this. Especially the games we lost this year.

You don't think Lynch coming off the bench would be an ideal situation? That would mean we have a center better than him and our success would not be bound to the quality of his decision making. Thus, someone like Travis would be the ideal grad transfer.

So you want to start a 6'6" PF and a 6'8" C?

So you want to start a 6'6" PF and a 6'8" C?

With Curry and Lynch coming off the bench? Sure. You don't need a 7 footer at center and a 6'10 guy at PF. Murphy and Reid are both outstanding rebounders and capable defenders. There aren't a lot of 7 footers in the Big Ten. Lynch can barely stay on the floor for more than 20 minutes so having him come off the bench wouldn't be a major reduction in his minutes.

This is kind of a pointless discussion though because we aren't going to get Reid Travis. I was just saying it would be an ideal situation if we had the luxury of bringing Lynch off the bench, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

Top Bottom