2016-2017 Transfer List

You may be right but it was not a knock on Race. Or a knock on not getting Reuvers. It is a fit thing and at UW in that system they give great freedom at the 4-5 and more structure to the 1-3 as that limits turnovers and sets the transition D and allows bigs to get back against the secondary break. Nathan is a dream recruit for them and was a super high priority. He will win well north of a 100 games in 4 years and exceed 1500 points. Race provides the ability to guard 3 positions and that can be incredibly valuable. Reuvers has a really mature offensive skill set that is very rare for someone with his length. Either Pitino thought he could not get him or that he wants more athletic strength among his bigs. Hard to argue since he knows what he wants. The cool thing is we get to watch how it plays out. That UW class is loaded.

Why? If we added only one guard, we could be back in the same position next year with only three scholarship true guards. There is Fitzgerald, of course, but I wouldn't call him a sure thing at this point.

Bigs take longer to develop while guards are pretty plug and play for the most part. I think we had every intention of taking a big with us offering 8 front court guys. You are right that it wouldn't have been an ideal position to be in with guard depth but you have Coffey who could play off guard and probably run point in a pinch. Washington will probably be able to play big minutes if needed. My concerns are about the 18-19 season. We are going into that season counting on Curry starting at center (many people on here don't think he holds up well there) or starting Oturu as a freshman. Personally I think Curry grows into the position but if you view him as a 4 only it's an iffy situation.

IMO we need a few things...depth...more balanced classes...and someone to play center in the future. Next year, transfer or not we will be better: We lose Springs and Haugh (who didn't play so isn't a game day loss) and gain Washington, Fitzgerald and Harris and the rest of the team is more experienced. As Mr. Baskeball NY, it wouldn't be surprising if Washington saw a lot of minutes next year as a freshman. So we she have more depth transfer or not...3 guys replacing one. If Gilbert transfers the class balance doesn't help if he is replaced with a grad transfer but if he is replaced with a JUCO center/PF or a freshman center/PF that would be great. Unlike guards, centers usually take time to develop. There are fewer of them out there. We have Gaston, Reggie and Bakary graduating next year and no center in the pipeline. Curry and Murphy are PFs but we don't have anyone to stand up to tall, strong, skilled centers. IMO, we need this to create in/out sets that enhance guard play. While the competition will be stiff for any centers...be a grad transfer, JUCO or freshman....if Pitino would be able to convince one to come here...that would make me most happy. If Gaston transfers it would help balance the classes and give us more depth as he simply didn't contribute anything this year. We shall see. I have confidence in Pitino....

CoMn, I like your takes on adding a big and balancing the classes. My one quibble would be that I think it will be really difficult to land a JUCO big or grad transfer that provides an upgrade over Bakary. The available bigs will want to play and they look at Minnesota and see a 3rd team All B1G PF returning and the B1G defensive player of the year at Center. I think the most realistic path to acquiring a talented big this offseason would be in the form of a transfer that has to sit out a year. If we could get a C prospect who wants to leave (maybe a coaching change, maybe impressed at a mid major for two years) and sell that guy on being the C on a good team after Lynch graduates I think that could be a pretty attractive opportunity. In general there is also slightly less competition for guys who have to sit out a year too. This would also balance the classes slightly.

Marial Shayok and Jarred Reuter are transferring from Virginia.

Not sure Shayok can help the Gophers now. His offensive effeciency were the lowest on the team and defensively he measured out very low by their standards. His evaluation for where he is at left him losing time next season. He was more than welcome to stay but by May he could have grad status and go somewhere he could play. Committed to Marquette first and despite that it was Buzz he planned on playing for there up and down the floor and passive defense may fit. I personally think he should play high mid major. JR tried at his size to play post and is a incredible kid. He was simply losing his time to extraordinary red shirts but again could have stayed. He will pick something along the likes of UMASS. Neither player is good enough to help the Gophers at this time. 20 months ago, yes.

Both would need to sit out a year according to Adam Zagoria

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be right but it was not a knock on Race. Or a knock on not getting Reuvers. It is a fit thing and at UW in that system they give great freedom at the 4-5 and more structure to the 1-3 as that limits turnovers and sets the transition D and allows bigs to get back against the secondary break. Nathan is a dream recruit for them and was a super high priority. He will win well north of a 100 games in 4 years and exceed 1500 points. Race provides the ability to guard 3 positions and that can be incredibly valuable. Reuvers has a really mature offensive skill set that is very rare for someone with his length. Either Pitino thought he could not get him or that he wants more athletic strength among his bigs. Hard to argue since he knows what he wants. The cool thing is we get to watch how it plays out. That UW class is loaded.

Well north of 100 games? Lets not get carried away

Well north of 100 games? Lets not get carried away

Haha, no doubt - talk about counting chickens before they're hatched. We're going to just assume a floor of 25 wins per season for wisconsin over the next 4 years? Ryan averaged 26 during his Becky run and he's in the Hall of Fame.

Bigs take longer to develop while guards are pretty plug and play for the most part. I think we had every intention of taking a big with us offering 8 front court guys. You are right that it wouldn't have been an ideal position to be in with guard depth but you have Coffey who could play off guard and probably run point in a pinch. Washington will probably be able to play big minutes if needed. My concerns are about the 18-19 season. We are going into that season counting on Curry starting at center (many people on here don't think he holds up well there) or starting Oturu as a freshman. Personally I think Curry grows into the position but if you view him as a 4 only it's an iffy situation.

If we take a dip in 18-19 because we have to start a freshman big man, so be it. Maximize the potential for next season. Make as big of a splash as you can when you can. If this program has two really good years in a row, people will tolerate a bit of a dip in the following year.

Yes, big men do take longer to develop. This season was pretty weak for freshmen centers but last season featured 14 freshman players classified as centers (according to the sports reference database) who averaged 16 or more minutes a game and earned a player efficiency rating (PER) of 15 or more. Derek Pardon of Northwestern was one of them. I think we could recruit a player of the caliber of Derek Pardon.

Wisconsin will not win 25 games next year, not with what they are losing and what the rest of the league brings back. They won't suck next year, probably an 8-10 win team like Iowa was this year. It'll also be the year where we really learn about Gard's coaching chops, can he develop guys like Bo could, because that bench needs a lot of work if they are going to transition into starters.

Absent from this list of a gopher, which is required for any of this to matter.

But isn't that what builtbadgers is known for?

True. I'm going to respond with a statement that might be on his level BUT....do the gophers have a shot to win more games than the badgers over the next 4 years? I would argue that we could especially if Happ takes off after this year.

I posted because neither player is good enough to help the Gophers. Of course the Gophers can finish ahead of the Badgers. 4 SENIORS will be gone, Happ is returning. Finishing ahead of them is always a tall order. Greg is a tremendous coach that has recruited a exceptional class and will always have them prepared. He is as strong as anyone i have seen in opponent scouting. I hope Minnesota becomes a rival and have put more money into this program than the UW program.

Jeter would be the perfect transfer split time with Reggie and maybe play together depending on the situation

If we take a dip in 18-19 because we have to start a freshman big man, so be it. Maximize the potential for next season. Make as big of a splash as you can when you can. If this program has two really good years in a row, people will tolerate a bit of a dip in the following year.

Yes, big men do take longer to develop. This season was pretty weak for freshmen centers but last season featured 14 freshman players classified as centers (according to the sports reference database) who averaged 16 or more minutes a game and earned a player efficiency rating (PER) of 15 or more. Derek Pardon of Northwestern was one of them. I think we could recruit a player of the caliber of Derek Pardon.

Sustainability is everything in college sports. I don't think we are in a position where we recover as well from a dip as we will be in the future. We aren't far removed from the program in all honesty being a dumpster fire and we struck out in state with the 2017 class because of that. We are all desperate for a run in the tournament but there's no reason the Gophers can't reach a point as a program where they make runs fairly regularly opposed to yoyoing year to year. The pieces are starting to come into place and now it's just about building it the right way.

I do like Pardon and there's good reason to believe Oturu could have similar production early in his Gophers career. If you could bring Oturu along slowly for 2 years behind a more experienced player I think that would be great for his development. Unless a guy is ready made for the college game and beyond I think you hurt his development playing him so much so early. They are forced to focus on things that help the team today instead of being able to work towards a more well rounded skillset. A year behind Hammons was huge for Swanigan. A redshirt year did a lot for Happ. Curry will be a more well rounded player because he's been able to develop behind Murphy/Lynch. That's my thinking when it comes to developing bigs at least. (pardon my long replies)

Darius Thompson is transferring from Virginia. Averaged 21 minutes/game for UVA this year.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

None are good enough to play for the Gophers. Incredible young men who all knew they could stay but they were not going to play.

Top Bottom