2016-2017 Transfer List

You don't think Lynch coming off the bench would be an ideal situation? That would mean we have a center better than him and our success would not be bound to the quality of his decision making. Thus, someone like Travis would be the ideal grad transfer.

He is far and away the best defender on the team; it's not close. Our defense suffers tremendously when he's not on the floor. Having him coming off the bench would not be an ideal situation because we don't have a center better than him, and won't next year. If you want to live in fantasyland and pretend that we're in some ideal scenario where him coming off the bench is the ideal situation, have at it. I too would like to have a fleet full of centers who are better than the conference DPOY, but here in the real world him coming off the bench is not an ideal situation.

With Curry and Lynch coming off the bench? Sure. You don't need a 7 footer at center and a 6'10 guy at PF. Murphy and Reid are both outstanding rebounders and capable defenders. There aren't a lot of 7 footers in the Big Ten. Lynch can barely stay on the floor for more than 20 minutes so having him come off the bench wouldn't be a major reduction in his minutes.

This is kind of a pointless discussion though because aren't going to get Reid Travis. I was just saying it would be an ideal situation if we had the luxury of bringing Lynch off the bench, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

Because the team is entirely different/better with Lynch on the floor as much as possible. Even if Travis came here, either he or Murphy is coming off the bench, not Lynch.

No one really thinks Travis is transferring, it was just a hypothetical.

Regarding BK, I don't share the same sentiment as you. If he has to play 10-15 minutes a game next year, we are in trouble. He just isn't a high major player unfortunately. Curry can play the 5 in certain matchups, but against bigger centers, he just isn't big enough. This team would benefit greatly by not having a large dropoff when Lynch gets into foul trouble and has to come out of the game.

Konate without a doubt has short comings but he does what you ask of a backup center. He rebounds, plays defense and makes his free throws at a decent clip. I'd love if we were in Purdue's situation in the front court but we aren't yet. I will say that I don't think a backup center that plays 10 minutes a night is going to keep us from winning a Big Ten title or winning games in general. Lynch needs to stay on the floor. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I put a lot of Curry's struggles defensively down to having a freshman body and over eagerness that you would expect from a young guy. A full offseason with S&C and college coaches will do him good.

With Curry and Lynch coming off the bench? Sure. You don't need a 7 footer at center and a 6'10 guy at PF. Murphy and Reid are both outstanding rebounders and capable defenders. There aren't a lot of 7 footers in the Big Ten. Lynch can barely stay on the floor for more than 20 minutes so having him come off the bench wouldn't be a major reduction in his minutes.

This is kind of a pointless discussion though because aren't going to get Reid Travis. I was just saying it would be an ideal situation if we had the luxury of bringing Lynch off the bench, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that.

It's def a pointless discussion but Reid and Murphy are basically the same player and Murphy struggled when he had to guard 5s. He ended getting in foul trouble right after Reggie. Reid defense isn't great either. They both are high motor player who can attack the glass but Lynch altering shots was one of the top reasons we improved. We would lose that benefit immediately.

Konate without a doubt has short comings but he does what you ask of a backup center. He rebounds, plays defense and makes his free throws at a decent clip. I'd love if we were in Purdue's situation in the front court but we aren't yet. I will say that I don't think a backup center that plays 10 minutes a night is going to keep us from winning a Big Ten title or winning games in general. Lynch needs to stay on the floor. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I put a lot of Curry's struggles defensively down to having a freshman body and over eagerness that you would expect from a young guy. A full offseason with S&C and college coaches will do him good.

I think he will be fine next year in short intervals at 5, but Konate even as a backup is not ideal. He's just so lost and a liability on both ends. We just need a capable backup. Konate isn't capable.

I think he will be fine next year in short intervals at 5, but Konate even as a backup is not ideal. He's just so lost and a liability on both ends. We just need a capable backup. Konate isn't capable.

I guess i'm trying to make the most out of the situation because it can't really change. Far too late in the process to add a HS center that could play in the Big Ten. As you said he's fine in short intervals and that's largely what happened this year. Even at Purdue he played 20 minutes against the best bigs in the conference and we came out of that one alright. Ideally you would want someone better for sure I don't disagree with that. I just don't think he has a big enough role to keep us from winning games.

My hope for Konate at the beginning of the year was that he could develop into an Andre Ingram type player for us. Dependable on defense, block some shots, rebound, dunk and don't turn the ball over. I still think that is a possibility for next season.

Any chance we could snag a late qualifier/JUCO guy that would be a 5? Honestly I think that would potentially be one of the better routes for us to go or obviously with a transfer that can play the 2/3.

butter fingers Konate

My hope for Konate at the beginning of the year was that he could develop into an Andre Ingram type player for us. Dependable on defense, block some shots, rebound, dunk and don't turn the ball over. I still think that is a possibility for next season.
I believe Konate is a great kid and he appears to be a good kid that works hard. However he is not dependable or serviceable in a big game whatsoever. First and foremost his hands are TERRIBLE, meaning slippery popcorn butter all over them most of the time. If we take this to the next level it cant be with players like him. He is a division 3 basketball player.

You're not gettiing....

Any chance we could snag a late qualifier/JUCO guy that would be a 5? Honestly I think that would potentially be one of the better routes for us to go or obviously with a transfer that can play the 2/3.

a grad transfer to come in here and play the 5 with Reggie ahead of him. You also have Konate and Gas there as seniors. I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to convince him there's playing time available.

Now a TRANSFER big is a different story...for him, everyone leaves after this season, and he'll have the right to compete with less experience freshmen players for the job.

I really hope we don't take anyone (unless it's a big time shooter)

I'd rather see how Wash, Harris, Fitz and Hurt compete with returning guards and wings for playing time.

On the whole, I think he was more of an asset than a liability on the defensive end this year. He's big enough and holds his ground pretty well when players try to back him up. He's not as good as Lynch, of course, but he's fair enough defensively in small doses.

grad transfer at the 2/3; redshirt center at the 5 or a guy who can be brought along slowly with the understanding that he won't get a lot of minutes next season.

I guess i'm trying to make the most out of the situation because it can't really change. Far too late in the process to add a HS center that could play in the Big Ten. As you said he's fine in short intervals and that's largely what happened this year. Even at Purdue he played 20 minutes against the best bigs in the conference and we came out of that one alright. Ideally you would want someone better for sure I don't disagree with that. I just don't think he has a big enough role to keep us from winning games.

We offered a Center name Malik Ondigo, ranked #119 on 247. Still on the board. We recruited a center last spring too who wound up at Nebraska who wasn't too bad. Mo Walker was a spring signee so was Jordan Murphy, Chris Boucher for Oregon, not ideal, but you can get talent this time of year

On the whole, I think he was more of an asset than a liability on the defensive end this year. He's big enough and holds his ground pretty well when players try to back him up. He's not as good as Lynch, of course, but he's fair enough defensively in small doses.

He's decent in the post but vs the ball screen he's a liabilty. If it is for only 4 or 5 min a game I'm fine with Bakary. My issue is our bigs, who are often in foul trouble, have to sit out together and we only have Bakary as an option at the 5 spot because Curry is in at the 4. Murph and Reg were in foul trouble to often not to want a serviceable backup. We probably won't get a superstar grad transfer but I think we can at least get a serviceable guy. Every grad transfer isn't looking to be a NBA guy at the next school. If that was the case they wouldn't transfer

We offered a Center name Malik Ondigo, ranked #119 on 247. Still on the board. We recruited a center last spring too who wound up at Nebraska who wasn't too bad. Mo Walker was a spring signee so was Jordan Murphy, Chris Boucher for Oregon, not ideal, but you can get talent this time of year

Malik Ondigo released a top 5 that does not include us.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No one really thinks Travis is transferring, it was just a hypothetical.

Regarding BK, I don't share the same sentiment as you. If he has to play 10-15 minutes a game next year, we are in trouble. He just isn't a high major player unfortunately. Curry can play the 5 in certain matchups, but against bigger centers, he just isn't big enough. This team would benefit greatly by not having a large dropoff when Lynch gets into foul trouble and has to come out of the game.

I agree with you, but what are the odds that a center who is transferring for their last year of eligibility is both better than Konate and willing to only play 10-15 minutes off the bench or potentially less if Curry steals some minutes from him? I hope I'm wrong, but I think the fact that we have the returning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year at center is going to make it difficult for us to attract a quality 5 with only one year left.

There's certainly special cases. Mo turned out to be a solid big but even he needed a couple years to figure things out. Ondigo looks to be a bit of a project like Tshimanga at Nebraska anyway. I guess for what we are looking for (HS senior that can play right away) it's hard. It's rare centers step right in and are able to give you solid minutes in conference. The real tough miss in the 17 class was Theo John. You look at what he's turned himself into and he would have been perfect as a backup in the coming season.

There's certainly special cases. Mo turned out to be a solid big but even he needed a couple years to figure things out. Ondigo looks to be a bit of a project like Tshimanga at Nebraska anyway. I guess for what we are looking for (HS senior that can play right away) it's hard. It's rare centers step right in and are able to give you solid minutes in conference. The real tough miss in the 17 class was Theo John. You look at what he's turned himself into and he would have been perfect as a backup in the coming season.

Not really worried about missing out on John. Oturu is the better prospect between the two. I would have liked to land Reuvers though. He is going to be a good college player.

Not really worried about missing out on John. Oturu is the better prospect between the two. I would have liked to land Reuvers though. He is going to be a good college player.

Personally I'd rather have John than Reuvers. Not because I think John is better necessarily, but because center is a bigger need in my opinion, and while Oturu is a great prospect, it would be nice to have another solid center on the roster to go along with him. We're set at PF right now and I'm hoping to get Race Thompson, in which case missing out on Reuvers wouldn't hurt much at all.

Personally I'd rather have John than Reuvers. Not because I think John is better necessarily, but because center is a bigger need in my opinion, and while Oturu is a great prospect, it would be nice to have another solid center on the roster to go along with him. We're set at PF right now and I'm hoping to get Race Thompson, in which case missing out on Reuvers wouldn't hurt much at all.

John has got a very long wingspan and with his height and jumping ability he can really protect the basket but he has no offensive skills at all.

Nothing against John but no way I'd rather have him over Washington or Harris. We could use an extra big, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reuvers is a far better player than Race. Perfect fit at UW.

Nothing against John but no way I'd rather have him over Washington or Harris. We could use an extra big, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help but be excited about having those two guys but in an ideal world we would have added Washington and a big. I expect Harris to be an important piece though. Shooters like that don't grow on trees.

More in response to the other comments above...I think if you look at the types of bigs we've been after John is a notch below Oturu as the prototypical Pitino big. John doesn't really flash the jumper Curry, Murphy and Oturu have but has the other similar attributes. Presence in the paint defensively, rebounder, strong pick setter and finisher around the basket. We aren't really looking for back to the basket bigs and Lynch is probably the last of that kind while Pitino is here.

I know Wisconsin fans are excited about Reuvers but he wasn't a priority for a reason for us as he doesn't fit the profile we have in mind (same was the case with Davison). John and Sims were takes before him. He's a talented player that suits their system but as Keyser points out if we land Race I won't lose sleep over Reuvers. Much easier to matchup with a guy like NR than a versatile weapon like Race.

I think what some people are missing is we play aggressively on the perimeter so we need a big that is very effective defensively around the rim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I agree with you, but what are the odds that a center who is transferring for their last year of eligibility is both better than Konate and willing to only play 10-15 minutes off the bench or potentially less if Curry steals some minutes from him? I hope I'm wrong, but I think the fact that we have the returning Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year at center is going to make it difficult for us to attract a quality 5 with only one year left.

Agreed. I don't know why a quality grad transfer center would come here. A JUCO center transfer is a possibility or a freshman with potential who is willing to redshirt if needed.

Can't help but be excited about having those two guys but in an ideal world we would have added Washington and a big.

Why? If we added only one guard, we could be back in the same position next year with only three scholarship true guards. There is Fitzgerald, of course, but I wouldn't call him a sure thing at this point.

Holy balls, the lack of basic basketball knowledge from some posters here is astounding.

Actually that would be ideal....imagine having someone who is so awesome that he replaces the B1G DPOTY? That being said...realistic? No. Ideal? if only we were so good....

Top Bottom