All things 2017 Minnesota boys high school tourney

While I don't normally get enjoyment out of watching high school players lose, it was somewhat enjoyable to watch Reuvers go out in the first round. He wasn't much of a factor down the stretch, and certainly didn't show any level of dominance late in the game. I could certainly get used to watching him lose though.....

Reuvers is a really good kid. I get that he's going to be a Badger but it's not like the Gophers were going after him hard anyways.

Reuvers is a really good kid. I get that he's going to be a Badger but it's not like the Gophers were going after him hard anyways.
Oh, they were. Told Minnesota "no dice" as a Jr. He's a perfect Wiscy player unfortunately.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, Oturu is pretty damn good. Has 10 points, 12 rebounds and at least 3-4 blocks at half. Also has altered many shots in the paint.

Nah, once you go out east, you are no longer a really good kid. Decent kid maybe. Somewhat blessed.

Oh, they were. Told Minnesota "no dice" as a Jr. He's a perfect Wiscy player unfortunately.

He would benefit greatly from a redshirt year though. He is going to get pushed around if he plays right away.

He would benefit greatly from a redshirt year though. He is going to get pushed around if he plays right away.
Probably, most bigs would benefit, I think. He could be very good. Has perimeter skills more than post.

Not really... They were focused on Theo.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Since then, Gard has called Reuvers about once a week in addition to coming to Lakeville a few weeks ago for an at-home visit, two things Gophers coach Richard Pitino did not do.

“I don’t think (the Gophers) recruited me hard enough,” Reuvers said.

Reuvers averaged 20 points, eight rebounds and four blocks a game as a junior and led the Panthers to a second-place finish in the state tournament, averaging 17.3 points and 8.3 rebounds.

He said Minnesota showed interest, but not nearly as much as the Badgers. Reuvers added that Gard flying to Minnesota on two occasions showed how interested he was. Pitino would have had a 30-minute drive to Reuvers’ house

Yeah, Oturu is pretty damn good. Has 10 points, 12 rebounds and at least 3-4 blocks at half. Also has altered many shots in the paint.

Here watching. Dominant on D and boards. Just ok on O.

What strikes me about Oturu is how aggressive and violent he is rebounding the ball, not afraid to rip the ball out from his own teammates. Shot blocking is about equal to what Reggie showed at Edina but Oturu looks a little more comfortable and fluid offensively on the block.

Not really... They were focused on Theo.

Since then, Gard has called Reuvers about once a week in addition to coming to Lakeville a few weeks ago for an at-home visit, two things Gophers coach Richard Pitino did not do.

“I don’t think (the Gophers) recruited me hard enough,” Reuvers said.

Reuvers averaged 20 points, eight rebounds and four blocks a game as a junior and led the Panthers to a second-place finish in the state tournament, averaging 17.3 points and 8.3 rebounds.

He said Minnesota showed interest, but not nearly as much as the Badgers. Reuvers added that Gard flying to Minnesota on two occasions showed how interested he was. Pitino would have had a 30-minute drive to Reuvers’ house
I stand corrected. I may have confused w Macura.

Name a school in the metro that can't recruit any kid willing to go there? Kids can basically go wherever they want. Your argument now is that their success gives them an unfair advantage? LOL

The Metro schools can compete if the kid decides to go there in 9th grade. You can't go from public to public without sitting a year...unless the family changes addresses to be in district. This is not true when going from public to private.
There is no such chance for an out state school.
I personally don't care which class DeLasalle plays in. It's fun to see underdogs attempt to unseat the big dog.

I agree with you. I would think they would just WANT to competitively. Totino did it in FB. North is an entirely different story. They should go to 3A, as well as Minnehaha competitively. All these tourneys would then be awesome games. That's probably my biggest thing.

Knowing the MSHSL, they'd put all the good teams in the same sectional...[emoji41] [emoji33]

Oturu looks good. At first I was thinking he was a Konate project, but the spin move he put on a kid just now was great.

Oturu looks good. At first I was thinking he was a Konate project, but the spin move he put on a kid just now was great.

Konate project? Is this your first time watching him or what? He looked better than Konate last year and he isn't ranked top 70 because he's a Konate project

Konate project? Is this your first time watching him or what? He looked better than Konate last year and he isn't ranked top 70 because he's a Konate project
Yes, it's my first time seeing him play. He's still raw, but he should help the Gophers right away.

Yes, it's my first time seeing him play. He's still raw, but he should help the Gophers right away.

Okay it makes sense. I think he will too, especially defensively. I love the way he attacks the glass he reminds me of Trevor but a better shot blocker. He has improved a lot offensively I expect him to make another jump next year.

When you think about it, he won't be playing for Gophers for about 20 months. That's a lot of time to improve.

People wanting to stream games or watch previously played games from today can go to:
prepspotlight.tv/MSHSL

I agree with you. I would think they would just WANT to competitively. Totino did it in FB. North is an entirely different story. They should go to 3A, as well as Minnehaha competitively. All these tourneys would then be awesome games. That's probably my biggest thing.

That's the point. They already moved up in both FB and basketball. De is already boxing a weight class up.

I couldn't disagree more with the idea that any metro school could recruit kids. DLS is decidedly different because it's a private school. Saying that any kid who wants to can/would leave one public school and go to another just to play basketball is ridiculous and I think you know that. Private schools are a different model. Not saying that it's wrong, but it is an advantage.

So, now that we have established that DLS does have a recruiting advantage over other 3A schools, AND has just as much/more talent (heavily influenced by that recruiting advantage) than most 4A schools, I think we can all agree that your original comment that other small/mid-sized communities in/outside the metro should just "step up their game" is pretty ridiculous.

If DeLaSalle wants to keep playing in 3A there's not much from a rules standpoint that can be done about that. But it's pretty clear that they no longer belong there, and it's not because other schools just aren't working as hard as they should be.

Half of the Hopkins kids from a few years ago were Minneapolis kids. Same for Cooper (to my knowledge). Its been happening since open enrollment started. That's what you're missing. Kids choose to go to DLS. Others choose to go to Hopkins or AV or wherever. De has no more of an advantage than Minnehaha, Cretin, Holy Angels, Benilde, etc but they're consistently better than those teams regardless of class. Hopkins and AV have produced more high level talent in the last 10 years than De. All this talk about recruiting you'd think the Rashad Vaughns and Tyus' (who's older brother went to De) would be sure to go there. So if its just recruiting than De kind of sucks at it with all the D1 level Minneapolis kids going to suburban schools all the time. So who'd they recruit? Reid Travis who grew up down the street and who's older brother went to De? Kalschuer who's been attending DLS camps for years? If its just recruiting then De does a crap job at it. And again, this is a lame MN argument that only comes up because other teams aren't very good. When's the last time a 3A team other than De made waves or was considered one of the best teams in the state or the midwest region? Those schools simply aren't producing high level teams.

The Metro schools can compete if the kid decides to go there in 9th grade. You can't go from public to public without sitting a year...unless the family changes addresses to be in district. This is not true when going from public to private.
There is no such chance for an out state school.
I personally don't care which class DeLasalle plays in. It's fun to see underdogs attempt to unseat the big dog.
Again, someone name the DLS player that transferred in. This keeps coming up so clearly there must be someone that did so and made an impact.

Half of the Hopkins kids from a few years ago were Minneapolis kids. Same for Cooper (to my knowledge). Its been happening since open enrollment started. That's what you're missing. Kids choose to go to DLS. Others choose to go to Hopkins or AV or wherever. De has no more of an advantage than Minnehaha, Cretin, Holy Angels, Benilde, etc but they're consistently better than those teams regardless of class. Hopkins and AV have produced more high level talent in the last 10 years than De. All this talk about recruiting you'd think the Rashad Vaughns and Tyus' (who's older brother went to De) would be sure to go there. So if its just recruiting than De kind of sucks at it with all the D1 level Minneapolis kids going to suburban schools all the time. So who'd they recruit? Reid Travis who grew up down the street and who's older brother went to De? Kalschuer who's been attending DLS camps for years? If its just recruiting then De does a crap job at it. And again, this is a lame MN argument that only comes up because other teams aren't very good. When's the last time a 3A team other than De made waves or was considered one of the best teams in the state or the midwest region? Those schools simply aren't producing high level teams.
I agree totally. They compete at 4A, De competes at 3A so they can win more championships, North does same at 1A. North probably has the best argument. No one transferring in there. De has 3-4 state champs playing at 4A the past 20 years. What is bad about this is that the out state schools context is completely different than the Metro

Again, someone name the DLS player that transferred in. This keeps coming up so clearly there must be someone that did so and made an impact.
I don't pay attention to DeLasalle. It doesn't matter to me when a kid came in. I'm just pointing to the difference in the rules.

Henry had an insane run in the late 90's early 2000's in 3A

Oleboy14 really derailed this thread.

Suggs is fun. Smooth. Could get to the rim whenever he wanted. Wish he had more competition but will get plenty in non-conference.

I was at the game and I don't remember Oturu being given a break. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing him on the bench. In the last quarter of the game he seemed really gassed. In fact didn't seem like their coach played many reserves at all. Did anyone else notice this?

In the Minnehaha game, they played pretty tight, but I can understand the interest in Jaylen Suggs. Dude is smooth and plays much older than a freshman. I have a good friend that teaches at M.A. (and has had him in a couple of classes) and says he is a really good kid and the parents want him to do as well in the classroom as on the basketball court. His goal is to have grades and test scores good enough to have a chance to get into a school like Stanford. Doesn't mean he'd automatically choose one of those schools, but it would be great to have that as an option for him. I reminded my friend that the U of M is a great academic school!

I don't pay attention to DeLasalle. It doesn't matter to me when a kid came in. I'm just pointing to the difference in the rules.

You're pointing to a rule that as some gotcha argument though De doesn't actually use it. So you're talking nonsense

Top Bottom