All things 2017 Minnesota boys high school tourney

Oleboy14 really derailed this thread.

Suggs is fun. Smooth. Could get to the rim whenever he wanted. Wish he had more competition but will get plenty in non-conference.

Not really, just debunking falsehoods

If its just recruiting then De does a crap job at it. And again, this is a lame MN argument that only comes up because other teams aren't very good. When's the last time a 3A team other than De made waves or was considered one of the best teams in the state or the midwest region? Those schools simply aren't producing high level teams.

You know which teams are pretty good? The 4A teams. I have no problem with De playing 3A, it's entirely within the rules and totally okay. They aren't exploiting anything. But for me, sports is about playing at the highest level where you are still competitive. A win against a good team is much more satisfying than a win against an average team. DeLaSalle has proving they can compete with and beat top 4A teams, so I don't get why they don't WANT to compete for a 4A title that it's entirely possible they could win. I definitely don't think they should be forced to, that would be unfair considering their small enrollment.

Also, like I said before, if they move up and are overmatched, they can move down 2 years later to a more competitive level.

I was at the game and I don't remember Oturu being given a break. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing him on the bench. In the last quarter of the game he seemed really gassed. In fact didn't seem like their coach played many reserves at all. Did anyone else notice this?

In the Minnehaha game, they played pretty tight, but I can understand the interest in Jaylen Suggs. Dude is smooth and plays much older than a freshman. I have a good friend that teaches at M.A. (and has had him in a couple of classes) and says he is a really good kid and the parents want him to do as well in the classroom as on the basketball court. His goal is to have grades and test scores good enough to have a chance to get into a school like Stanford. Doesn't mean he'd automatically choose one of those schools, but it would be great to have that as an option for him. I reminded my friend that the U of M is a great academic school!
Oturu had a couple short breathers, but he didn't get any extended breaks. He definitely looked gassed towards the end.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

You're pointing to a rule that as some gotcha argument though De doesn't actually use it. So you're talking nonsense
They can use it. Whether in this year's class they use it is irrelevant. The fact is that all private schools have that advantage over public schools.
I listened to Mike Maxx this evening as he interviewed the Columbia Heights coach. The CH coach mentioned the same disparity in rules that I have brought up.

Oturu impressed me. His presence was obvious as a lot of easy shots were rushed/missed. He had a few nice blocks and is a beast on the glass. Man amongst boys physically.

Offensively I don't know if he took a shot outside of 5ft that wasn't a free throw. Looks to have decent feet and finishing ability. He will improve a lot when he gets to battle better players every day in practice.

You know which teams are pretty good? The 4A teams. I have no problem with De playing 3A, it's entirely within the rules and totally okay. They aren't exploiting anything. But for me, sports is about playing at the highest level where you are still competitive. A win against a good team is much more satisfying than a win against an average team. DeLaSalle has proving they can compete with and beat top 4A teams, so I don't get why they don't WANT to compete for a 4A title that it's entirely possible they could win. I definitely don't think they should be forced to, that would be unfair considering their small enrollment.

Also, like I said before, if they move up and are overmatched, they can move down 2 years later to a more competitive level.
We can solve the problem by having a public school only tournament. The private parts can play with themselves. [emoji57] [emoji41]

I was at the game and I don't remember Oturu being given a break. Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing him on the bench. In the last quarter of the game he seemed really gassed. In fact didn't seem like their coach played many reserves at all. Did anyone else notice this?

In the Minnehaha game, they played pretty tight, but I can understand the interest in Jaylen Suggs. Dude is smooth and plays much older than a freshman. I have a good friend that teaches at M.A. (and has had him in a couple of classes) and says he is a really good kid and the parents want him to do as well in the classroom as on the basketball court. His goal is to have grades and test scores good enough to have a chance to get into a school like Stanford. Doesn't mean he'd automatically choose one of those schools, but it would be great to have that as an option for him. I reminded my friend that the U of M is a great academic school!
Jalen and his support team are all very aware of the value of a education at the U of M and Stanford.To pretend it is the same thing would be foolish. Candidates of Stanford certainly do not think of them as equal.

Oturu had a couple short breathers, but he didn't get any extended breaks. He definitely looked gassed towards the end.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Totally gassed, if he had been able to play with the energy he did for 2/3 of the game Cretin probably wins, he really changed the scoring ability of Apple Valley when he was active.

Thats the first reasonable opinion I've seen on the matter. I simply go back to the thought that until this run, De was consistently competing in 3A for years but only winning it every once in a while. They won back to back in 2A in 98 and 99, won in 3A in 06, then didn't win it again until this run started in 12. People present it as if they were winning the title every other year for 20 years. This run is an anomaly, not an established decades long run.

They can use it. Whether in this year's class they use it is irrelevant. The fact is that all private schools have that advantage over public schools.
I listened to Mike Maxx this evening as he interviewed the Columbia Heights coach. The CH coach mentioned the same disparity in rules that I have brought up.

Come on you're just being dense now. You used this rule as a reason why De has some unfair advantage over everyone meaning it actually benefits them. When I pointed out that it literally isn't used and these transfers you claim to be a huge advantage don't exist, you still try claim it as a benefit which is just stupid. The rule is IRRELEVANT. So either drop it or come up with a real reason why they have this unfair advantage you claim exists while presenting no relevant reason as to why.

Jalen and his support team are all very aware of the value of a education at the U of M and Stanford. To pretend it is the same thing would be foolish. Candidates of Stanford certainly do not think of them as equal.

Agree. I doubt anyone pretends they are the same thing.

Oturu looked tired.

Tre Jones didn't leave the court. Kid was dead. There was a possession where he stood there with the ball trying to catch his breath. He eventually got an assist to a big man and his coach called a timeout. As the only ball handler, primary scorer and leading rebounder...he had a lot of miles on his legs.

I did like the freshman shooter from Lake City. Kid hit some crazy shots. Fun to watch, even if he isn't a D1 prospect. Someone did tweet he shot 46% on 3s this year which is insane.

Come on you're just being dense now. You used this rule as a reason why De has some unfair advantage over everyone meaning it actually benefits them. When I pointed out that it literally isn't used and these transfers you claim to be a huge advantage don't exist, you still try claim it as a benefit which is just stupid. The rule is IRRELEVANT. So either drop it or come up with a real reason why they have this unfair advantage you claim exists while presenting no relevant reason as to why.
You are in denial of the rule and how DeLasalle can use it to their advantage. Keep tiptoeing around if you wish.

You are in denial of the rule and how DeLasalle can use it to their advantage. Keep tiptoeing around if you wish.

I've never once denied its existence. I denied that its actually been used and you've offered no proof that it has been. Thus pointing to it as a reason why De is dominating its competition is stupid. Completely stupid. I'd hope you're smarter than that but maybe not

Thus the reason Wright is ranked #46 best pg on 247 sports, and Washington is ranked #14th. That is night and day. Wright will eventually have a solid career, but Washington should be solid from the get go.

I just finished watching the McKinley Wright show at Target Center. While I'm sure he'll be a good D1 player, he didn't showcase much ability to create for his teammates. All of his (second half) points came from within 7 feet of the basket and at the free throw line. It was really hard to see his game immediately translating to college hoops. I think he'll struggle in the beginning against players that can muscle up with him, especially since he's slightly undersized.

Compared with the little bit of game footage I've seen for Isaiah Washington, it seems like we got the more college ready player. I think they'll both end up being quite good, but Washington's passing ability and ball handling ability will set him apart IMO.

I think Wright projects as a really good mid major and his game will translate to that level nicely. He is strong. Can get to the rim. Makes free throws.

His teammates were not great yesterday. I saw them light up Hopkins on open 3s when he kicked the ball out off of drives. I think they can do that again but he knew yesterday he had to keep scoring to win. And he did (though on a miracle shot)

I prefer Washington for a variety of reasons.

Thats the first reasonable opinion I've seen on the matter. I simply go back to the thought that until this run, De was consistently competing in 3A for years but only winning it every once in a while. They won back to back in 2A in 98 and 99, won in 3A in 06, then didn't win it again until this run started in 12. People present it as if they were winning the title every other year for 20 years. This run is an anomaly, not an established decades long run.
Well that's still very very good. I consider my alma mater a competitive team year in and year out, not overmatched at the 4A level at all, and we last made state in 09, last won sometime in the 70s I think? "Winning it every once in a while" over an extended period of time should still want to move up imo.

I consider a team playing at the correct level to be a team that makes State 1-2 times every 10 years and wins state once every 20 or so. If you're doing consistently better than that you should move up. What's the harm?

On another note, Theo didn't do much more than rebound in that game. Had one nice jump hook. Probably won't be much of a scorer in college. When the gophers were week on the frontline last year I really wanted him. Right now I would take Reuvers, who will take at least 20lbs but his ceiling is way way higher.

Reuvers reminds me so much of Rickert I am surprised no one else mentions it.

Champlin Park didn't look good, but they did play very good defense on hanson, held him to 12 on 5-17 shooting.

The Gach twins for Austin are intriguing jr's.
6'5" and super long Sudanese players. They make Coffey look like he has alligator arms!

I could see mid major's for the pair. They probably could become defensive stoppers at the high level.

Theo John is an offensive liability. He can't score aside from dunks and layups. His face up game is non existent and even backing down smaller players seems to be out of his comfort zone. Defensively and rebounding, he would help the Gophers.

Hanson is a big kid and I like his game. Good on him for heading to Columbia for an education.

North utterly destroying Red Lake. Up 25-3 with 10 minutes left in the 1st half. Ouch

Well that's still very very good. I consider my alma mater a competitive team year in and year out, not overmatched at the 4A level at all, and we last made state in 09, last won sometime in the 70s I think? "Winning it every once in a while" over an extended period of time should still want to move up imo.

I consider a team playing at the correct level to be a team that makes State 1-2 times every 10 years and wins state once every 20 or so. If you're doing consistently better than that you should move up. What's the harm?

So here's the question: What is the benefit to the school? When an FCS school moves up they know they stand to get better players, more money and more exposure. What does it benefit De to move from 3A to 4A? They already regularly prove they can beat the best teams in any class in MN and the surrounding states (wish MN would let teams travel more. Still remember when Henry smashed the IL state champs years back) every year in the non con, they wouldn't change conferences either. So what is the benefit to De to simply play up a level in the state tourney? The satisfaction of saying they won in 4A against teams they could schedule and beat anyway? Really MN should have a tourney of champions and let the 3A and 4A winners play anyway

A Tourney of Champions would solve a lot of issues IMO. Teams would probably stay in their enrollment classes because a tourney of champs would give them a shot at the big dogs down the road. De I think could play 1A if they really wanted too, so i don't have an issue with them being in 3A

The 5 second call in high school has to go.
Defender is 3 feet off the ball and refs are counting down. Terrible.

A Tourney of Champions would solve a lot of issues IMO. Teams would probably stay in their enrollment classes because a tourney of champs would give them a shot at the big dogs down the road. De I think could play 1A if they really wanted too, so i don't have an issue with them being in 3A

I think you have it backwards:

4A - biggest schools i.e. Happy Valley, Wayzata, Edina
3A - Big schools i.e. DeLa Salle, Grand Rapids
2A - small schools i.e. Mankato East
1A - smallest schools i.e. Redrock Central, Crosby Stills Nash and Young

But what do I know, when I played in the tournament in 1984 there were only two classes.

BTW, when they had that tournament where small played big. small got crushed.

DeLaSalle has an enrollment of 696 according to the mshsl. Class AAA is schools with enrollments between 494-1100ish. De is a AAA school. They would probably play AA if they could. Whatever you have to do to win

Top Bottom