All things 2017 Minnesota boys high school tourney

He's not going to be a Gopher but if you get a chance go watch Mckinley Wright, he's something.

Gabe Kalscheur would be another good one to keep an eye on, I get the feeling he'll be a Gopher.

Players in the tournament committed to or holding D1 offers: (this list is likely incomplete, doing this at work, mostly off the top of my head, please feel free to add to it)

McKinley Wright--Champlin Park--Dayton (committed)
Brad Davison--Maple Grove--wisconsin (committed)
Nathan Reuvers--Lakeville North--wisconsin (committed)
Theo John--Champlin Park--Marquette (committed)
Goanar Mar--Delasalle--George Mason (committed)
Isaac Johnson--Minneapolis North--Western Illinois (committed)
Tywhon Pickford--Maple Grove--Nebraska (only offer it looks like)
Daniel Oturu--Cretin Derham Hall--Minnesota (committed)
Tre Jones--Apple Valley--1 million offers
Gabe Kalscheur--Delasalle--Minnesota, Drake, UNI, North Dakota
Javonni Bickham--Minnehaha Academy--Memphis, New Mexico
Jalen Suggs--Minnehaha Academy--Minnesota, Iowa State, 1 million offers pending

Added one.

Myles Hanson-Chaska-Columbia (committed)

Thanks. Forgot about him.

I can't say I'm super sure of the rest of the A and AA teams but am pretty sure none have D1 players aside from MPLS North and Minnehaha, since Esko didn't qualify.

FWIW my champion predictions are:

A-Minneapolis North. They are moving up next year, nice bounce back for that school/community from nearly closing to winning titles and adding enrollment.
AA-Minnehaha Academy. Played a tougher schedule and have a ton of talent.
AAA-Delasalle. Talented, deep and tourney tested
AAAA-Champlin Park. Toughest class to predict (in my opinion) but until someone beats them, they are the team to beat.

(yeah, I realized I picked all the 1 seeds but I think the lower classes has them as very heavy favorites)

Can't wait for some kid from a tiny school in class A light it up and some posters start suggesting he should play at the D1 level

Have not attended the tourney in person in a few years. I'd like to take the afternoon off Wednesday and go to the Target Center and see Apple Valley vs Cretin (4A) at 4:00 and Minnehaha vs Lake City (2A) at 6:00. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a session ticket for both 4A and 2A, even though I'll only go to one game for each session.

What class is North moving up to, like to see them go to 3A and give DeLaSalle a battle. Hopefully that wouldn't put them in the same section

Minneapolis North beat Cristo Rey Jesuit and Prairie Seeds Academy by a combined 120 points. Those two teams, by Class A standards are top 12-15 teams. They need to move up because it's essentially a tournament for second place

What class is North moving up to, like to see them go to 3A and give DeLaSalle a battle. Hopefully that wouldn't put them in the same section

I agree, DeLaSalle should be in 4A but that doesn't seem likely.

Myles Hanson-Chaska-Columbia (committed)

I believe Pickford has offers from Tulane and some other mid-majors as well. Wherever he goes I think he'll do well. Would've had more high major offers if it wasn't for injuries.

North is not opting up. Going up due to enrollment.

They also graduated a D1 athlete last year and a D1 basketball player will graduate after this year.

I think they are going to AA. They won't dominate that level. Minnehaha will and should opt to AAA for the rest of Suggs career in my opinion.

Minneapolis North beat Cristo Rey Jesuit and Prairie Seeds Academy by a combined 120 points. Those two teams, by Class A standards are top 12-15 teams. They need to move up because it's essentially a tournament for second place
I heard Hickory is ready to take on North...

I was looking at the first round game for North and they beat a team 141-22, the halftime score was 98-11. It was a 1 v 16 game but that's amazing to score 98 points in the first half.

I was looking at the first round game for North and they beat a team 141-22, the halftime score was 98-11. It was a 1 v 16 game but that's amazing to score 98 points in the first half.
Some of the charter schools in class A would lose to the top girls teams by 20 points.

Have not attended the tourney in person in a few years. I'd like to take the afternoon off Wednesday and go to the Target Center and see Apple Valley vs Cretin (4A) at 4:00 and Minnehaha vs Lake City (2A) at 6:00. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a session ticket for both 4A and 2A, even though I'll only go to one game for each session.
You don't need to buy two tickets, assuming both games are at Target Center.

David La Vaque‏Verified account @David_LaVaque 11m11 minutes ago
More
DeLaSalle boys’ basketball, five-time defending Class 3A state champs, will remain in Class 3A for at least the next two seasons. #MSHSL
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

David La Vaque‏Verified account @David_LaVaque 11m11 minutes ago
More
DeLaSalle boys’ basketball, five-time defending Class 3A state champs, will remain in Class 3A for at least the next two seasons. #MSHSL
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

Dumb...similar to Hermantown in hockey, if you move up, it's only two years, you can switch back if you don't like it. There's virtually no risk, and why wouldn't you when you've dominated a class for 5-plus years?

Like Kevin McHale...

But McHale was a very obvious talent and everyone knew that. He didn't need a state tournament for people to figure that out.

I see it every year, there's gonna be some kid that scores 20 a game for some team in the lower classes that's like 5'8" but people suggest we should recruit him because "he's a shooter"

But McHale was a very obvious talent and everyone knew that. He didn't need a state tournament for people to figure that out.

I see it every year, there's gonna be some kid that scores 20 a game for some team in the lower classes that's like 5'8" but people suggest we should recruit him because "he's a shooter"
You talkin 'bout me, Willis? [emoji41]

Dumb...similar to Hermantown in hockey, if you move up, it's only two years, you can switch back if you don't like it. There's virtually no risk, and why wouldn't you when you've dominated a class for 5-plus years?

Agreed. Especially when for 2 years, you know what you have. They don't be losing their 1 good player or something.

Don't they have a D1 recruit (kalscheur) and a prospect getting some looks? I think a freshman or sophomore PG...cant remember his name. Those two will keep you highly competitive for two years

Has a 5'8" kid in 1A ever had a thread on gopherhole? This sounds made up

There are a couple kids in class A that are probably borderline d1 mid major kids. Obviously there is is Isaac Johnson who is going to western Illinois, but rob McClain from red lake has very good size and is very athletic. He might be able to make the transition to a d1 program like ndsu or another lower level mid major. I doubt that will happen and there will be a d2 school thrilled to have him. There's also some 6'10"/11" kid from something called lake park/Audubon. He might be a borderline to a program like ndsu. I know nothing about the kid other than he's big so take it with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's called fund raising, you win you can tout your success to your donors and you are creating a tradition.

Not sure if it is true but I had heard that the alumni from their heyday, the 50's, 60's, and 70's have donated a ton of money to the school.

Also, it helps with recruiting athletes and non athletes to the school when you win.

AAU

Precisely why AAU is so important for outstate kids.

The 6-10 kid is Jessie Bergh. He is solid but its hard to tell as he typically is playing against a 6-5 guy.

Has a 5'8" kid in 1A ever had a thread on gopherhole? This sounds made up

There are a couple kids in class A that are probably borderline d1 mid major kids. Obviously there is is Isaac Johnson who is going to western Illinois, but rob McClain from red lake has very good size and is very athletic. He might be able to make the transition to a d1 program like ndsu or another lower level mid major. I doubt that will happen and there will be a d2 school thrilled to have him. There's also some 6'10"/11" kid from something called lake park/Audubon. He might be a borderline to a program like ndsu. I know nothing about the kid other than he's big so take it with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin and Kyle Noreen come to mind as kids who put up huge stats at a small school who didn't have the athleticism to excel in division 1. Same story for the Broman brothers now at Winthrop. The Dahlman brothers too.

In defense of people grasping at straws, there were times we needed shooting and had depleted rosters.

I do believe there is a better track record for those players playing division 1 who are from 4A or 3A schools putting up good numbers in college.

(McHale) Back in those days was Hibbing considered a small school?

Top Bottom