All things 2017 Minnesota boys high school tourney

This is the first time I've seen Davison play and maybe he's having an off night, he plays hard but he doesn't impress me. How was he rated so high? Kevin Lynch said he feels his ceiling is higher in football than basketball. He's shooting 4-17 and 0-6 on three pointers, and 5-9 free-throws.

I have seen him play a couple of times as well. He's solid, but don't see a lot of upside. Struggled in high school keeping good guards in front of him, and never really creates a shot. Yet, there must be more there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first time I've seen Davison play and maybe he's having an off night, he plays hard but he doesn't impress me. How was he rated so high? Kevin Lynch said he feels his ceiling is higher in football than basketball. He's shooting 4-17 and 0-6 on three pointers, and 5-9 free-throws.

Davison's probably a good Showalter replacement for them. Should be a decent defender, good shooter and intangibles guy but not sure he's much more than that. I don't know how he creates separation against better athletes at the next level.

Interesting that you guys are questioning Davison's ability to be successful at the next level. I have not see him play live (or a full game) so I will certainly defer to you but Davison was a standout player in the EYBL last Summer playing against better competition. He averaged 17 while shooting over 50 from the field and over 40 from 3.
I don't know if he will keep it up (I certainly hope not) but a much lighter recruited point guard Jordan Bohanon (best offers were Iowa and UNI) just made the All B1G freshman team and lit up from 3 for Iowa. I certainly questioned (and still kind of do, despite his success) his athletic ability for the high major level, but he did have a very nice freshman season.

Interesting that you guys are questioning Davison's ability to be successful at the next level. I have not see him play live (or a full game) so I will certainly defer to you but Davison was a standout player in the EYBL last Summer playing against better competition. He averaged 17 while shooting over 50 from the field and over 40 from 3.
I don't know if he will keep it up (I certainly hope not) but a much lighter recruited point guard Jordan Bohanon (best offers were Iowa and UNI) just made the All B1G freshman team and lit up from 3 for Iowa. I certainly questioned (and still kind of do, despite his success) his athletic ability for the high major level, but he did have a very nice freshman season.

Davison is talented. Can definitely shoot. Will struggle to create his own shot and defend at a high level in college.

Something you're not factoring in about the EYBL is how little attention he is given by opposing teams. If you're bored, find the year Tyus lit up the league. He had Jake's wright from Hopkins and Anders Broman from Lakeview Christian Academy stand in the corner and shoot wide open 3s. Broman averaged like 13 a game. He barely plays for Winthrop.

Not saying Davison can't/won't play at Wisconsin but I think he will struggle. I'm wrong a lot though.

on the "Big Schools always better" front:

From '71 to '75, there were two classes, and after both championship games, there was a playoff to determine the overall state champ. the AA schools went 3-2 against the A schools during that time. St. James and Melrose were the A winners.

Then, in '95 and '96, they went to the "Sweet 16" format, with a combined tournament and one winner. Both years, Mpls North (an AA team at the time) won the title. Hell of a club - went 56-1 for the two seasons.

In the 4-class setup, it would be difficult for the A or AA winner to beat the 3A or 4A winner. But, there have certainly been years where a team could have moved up a class and won.

And - for the people who want the private schools to have their own tournament - there used to be a separate Private School tourney. I know in the mid-70's it was held at Augsburg college, because I remember watching the title game. It was sometime in the mid to late 70's when the private schools were allowed to join the MSHSL tournament.

Keep in mind Melrose had a player named Mark Olberding who was absolutely dominant

Sign these types. Shooters become more valuable when you get lead dogs. If you have alphas, these folks are incredible. He will replace Koenig admirably.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

He will not replace Koenig. Koenig is the player who makes or breaks Wisconsin. Once he got healthy they started playing well again. He can create his own shot, and creates space for Hayes and Happ inside because you can't leave him, and if you do he'll knock down the shot. Koenig is extremely quick, and why he was so highly recruited out of high school - Duke and North Carolina offers. Davison cannot do what Koenig can do at all. They are not similar players.

Davison is a shooter, and would benefit from playing with a Koenig, just as Zach Bohannon and Ben Brust did. If he replaced anyone it would be Showalter, but he can't guard people like he can. He will come off the bench, at best, as a freshman.

Davison can shoot no doubt about it, tonight against a quicker opponent he struggled, he does not like to go left, Jones shadowed his right shoulder and his shooting was way off in the second half, hard to tell how he will fair, does not have Koenig's quickness for sure, hard to match Koenigs dead eye in key spots either. Time will tell.

How about John in the Champlin Park win, almost seems like a sleeping giant was awoken. Mid range jumpers went down, made his free throws, moves around the basket that make you wish he was going to be a Gopher. He's got a big upside as long as he comes to play, reminds me a little of Rodney Williams, when it is all there he could be all world, when he doesn't show up not much to his game.

How about John in the Champlin Park win, almost seems like a sleeping giant was awoken. Mid range jumpers went down, made his free throws, moves around the basket that make you wish he was going to be a Gopher. He's got a big upside as long as he comes to play, reminds me a little of Rodney Williams, when it is all there he could be all world, when he doesn't show up not much to his game.

I've seen him play a lot. That was his best game by far. Also of note: he was significantly bigger than everyone on the floor. 45 from Wayzata is a sophomore who is OK. He should dominate high school kids like that every game.

Keep in mind in the section semis and finals he scored a total of 8 points. 1 game does not mean the giant is awoken, or anything of the sort.

there are 4 champions

i'd love to see a charity game where A v AA and AAA v AAAA each year - i know it will never happen, but it would be intriguing. And, in reference to 2000 - that would have been a fun year for another couple games:

A - Southwest MN Christian (28-1)
AA - Litchfield (30-0 w/ a win over tartan)
AAA - Henry (28-1)
AAAA - Tartan

Litchfield was good as anyone in the state, but i'll still take the AAA Henry Patriots over Litchfield and their band of brothers as well as Jake Sullivan (should have been Mr. Basketball over Boone) led Tartan team

I hope you are not saying the only champion in the state is the 4A champion. Because it doesn't happen often but sometimes a lower class can beat a 4A champion, what comes to mind is the 99-00 Litchfield team that could have beaten any team in the state that year as they beat the 4A champion tartan by 25 points the same year and they were a 2a team

Sign these types. Shooters become more valuable when you get lead dogs. If you have alphas, these folks are incredible. He will replace Koenig admirably.

We did, his name is Jamir Harris, will see who turns out better. For Davison to be successful the next two years, guys on their current roster need to step up, Pritzl, Trice, Iverson, Hill, Thomas IV, Ilk in the front court, it's not reasonable for the Badgers to expect their three freshman to carry the team next year, for them to be meaningful contributers on a winning team, guys in the room already will need to step up.

I've seen him play a lot. That was his best game by far. Also of note: he was significantly bigger than everyone on the floor. 45 from Wayzata is a sophomore who is OK. He should dominate high school kids like that every game.

Keep in mind in the section semis and finals he scored a total of 8 points. 1 game does not mean the giant is awoken, or anything of the sort.

I understand that, I've seen him where it is like he isn't even on the court, but he has unlimited talent, he's quick, he can jump, wing span is out of this world, if he ever got his game going the competition he faces isn't going to hinder him, may never happen but a lot of potential.

I think shooting is becoming a lost art and any guy who can consistently shoot the three will be a valuable contributor in college basketball. We have seen so few really good shooters in Gopher uniforms over the years. Eventually, they have to be able to get the shot off quickly, but it doesn't take great foot speed to do that. Guys like Bohannon and Davison are what they are. Shooters that may not be great athletes. A team can't have four or five of them on the court at once, but having one or two who are able to minimize their deficits can be really valuable.

I like the guys we have recruited but they have deficits (both pretty small by high D-1 standards). Very few players have no deficits they have to compensate for or that teams choose to live with. I'm okay with Harris being pretty short if he can compensate with out of the gym range. Clearly, Gard and Frannie have decided they can live guys who are a little slow but proven they can shoot. I would lean that way myself.

I think shooting is becoming a lost art and any guy who can consistently shoot the three will be a valuable contributor in college basketball. We have seen so few really good shooters in Gopher uniforms over the years. Eventually, they have to be able to get the shot off quickly, but it doesn't take great foot speed to do that. Guys like Bohannon and Davison are what they are. Shooters that may not be great athletes. A team can't have four or five of them on the court at once, but having one or two who are able to minimize their deficits can be really valuable.

I like the guys we have recruited but they have deficits (both pretty small by high D-1 standards). Very few players have no deficits they have to compensate for or that teams choose to live with. I'm okay with Harris being pretty short if he can compensate with out of the gym range. Clearly, Gard and Frannie have decided they can live guys who are a little slow but proven they can shoot. I would lean that way myself.
Amen brother. The type of guy we haven't had enough of. Hoffarber, Shamala, etc

Watched several games - was most impressed with #23 from Austin - athletic and great shooter - Gophers showing any interest?

Amen brother. The type of guy we haven't had enough of. Hoffarber, Shamala, etc

You still have to have a quick enough release to get your shot off that's why he struggled with a quicker guy on him yesterday. Just because a kid is a good high school it doesn't always translate to the next level. Hoffarber had one of the quickest release you will see from a player. Davidson doesn't have that quick of a release so those open threes will be contested at the next level vs quicker guys.

Yeah we would've won it all with more Shamala's on the team. That was definitely the missing piece
The point is to have 1 or 2 on the roster, not a teamful of them. I can't even believe I'd have to state this, but I will.

The point is to have 1 or 2 on the roster, not a teamful of them. I can't even believe I'd have to state this, but I will.

It's good to have a clear marksmen but you can't play more than 1 at a time that struggles on D, especially if we already have Nate in the game who is a terrible defender. It would put even more foul pressure on our bigs. There was a reason Jamal and Blake rarely saw minutes together. It would be great to get an athletic wing who is a capable shooter. I mean Dupree and Amir shot pretty well from 3 this year. I rather have players that can shoot but bring other things to the table than multiple guys who are just catch and shoot guys

It's good to have a clear marksmen but you can't play more than 1 at a time that struggles on D, especially if we already have Nate in the game who is a terrible defender. It would put even more foul pressure on our bigs. There was a reason Jamal and Blake rarely saw minutes together. It would be great to get an athletic wing who is a capable shooter. I mean Dupree and Amir shot pretty well from 3 this year. I rather have players that can shoot but bring other things to the table than multiple guys who are just catch and shoot guys
Yup, that's what I'm saying, as well. You need 1 or 2 on the roster. We don't have one that I'm aware of today.

Yup, that's what I'm saying, as well. You need 1 or 2 on the roster. We don't have one that I'm aware of today.

Hurt was supposed to be one and Springs was one. Also Harris coming is one. Hopefully our slashers continue to improve their shooting.

Tre and Davidson

Jordan is 6' 185 lbs and is strickly a pg. He is smaller and quicker.

Davidson is 6-3 or 6-4 and close to 200lbs. He can play either backcourt spot.
More than likely he will always guard the slower of the teams opposing guards.

Tre Jones can make lots of people look slow and have a bad game. A likely McDonald's all American next year.

Davidson will excel when he is the 4th option on his team, when they are doubling Happ.

Bohannon is much quicker than Davison.

I'm not suggesting the Gophers should go after him, but I liked what I saw from Michael Schaefer of St. Cloud Cathedral in 2A. He's only a junior - avg 21p/10r. Could be a pretty good player at a mid-major, and I think he would dominate D2 pretty quickly.

I'm not suggesting the Gophers should go after him, but I liked what I saw from Michael Schaefer of St. Cloud Cathedral in 2A. He's only a junior - avg 21p/10r. Could be a pretty good player at a mid-major, and I think he would dominate D2 pretty quickly.
Just because of the name, I say pickup Gerald Goggleye as a walk on. He'd be the next Isaiah Crittendon.

Top Bottom