Which Twin Cities Media Member Has The Best Gopher BBall Takes In Town?

GophersFan101

Reaction score
Which Twin Cities Media Member Has The Best Gopher BBall Takes?

Who has the best, most realistic (but not overly negative) takes on Gopher basketball? I'm Including all forms of media; print, radio, bloggers, etc.

Go!

Fuller. Unless you count Ryan James. Both are good. I'm not sure who else there is.

Fuller. Unless you count Ryan James. Both are good. I'm not sure who else there is.

Jon Krawczynski and Souhan have a bb podcast. Barriero considers himself a basketball guy. There's Jim Peterson, Brit Robson, Scott Korzenowski ...

Robson is great talking about the Wolves but admits he doesn't watch college. I'd love to hear Peterson on the radio or a podcast regularly talking Wolves and Gophers. I don't listen to Krawczynski's podcast because I can't stand Souhan. I like Korzo; I'm not sure how accurate he is on his takes, but he's a fan of the Gophers and Wolves (that is not to say a homer) and I like that.

It's Ryan James by a mile if we're talking Gophers and nobody is particularly close. I don't really find anyone else to have more than even a cursory knowledge of the game. If I want to read someone's takes on the Gophers, I generally find posts from fellow GopherHoler's more insightful than anything written in the Strib or Press (Marcus did have a great article on the strength program in the Press a couple years ago). Some posters I can think of off the top of my head: BleedGopher, Rouser, Howeda7, BGA1, Jamiche, Fan of Ray Williams and one that will be controversial to many builtbadgers. I am sure I am missing 5-6 names who routinely bring good takes. Many of these posters are actually at all/most games. Also, Daniel House's recaps of the Gopher games give a much better picture of what went on in the game than your standard recap on any other site.

Speaking of (former) Twin Cities media members, did anyone happen to read Myron P's latest steaming pile about reseeding the NCAA tournament for the Sweet 16? He comes to the conclusion that Wisconsin should be seeded 3rd (and takes another jab at the Gophers seeding citing they lost 5 in a row and ignoring what happened after that or the fact that Wisconsin had their own similar stretch) and because it's Myron does not really move South Carolina up. So basically this was his chance to get on his knees for Wisconsin and he couldn't pass it up. Logic would say that a South Carolina team that blew out Marquette and soundly defeated Duke would be the biggest riser in this reseeding instead it's a Wisconsin team that won two nail biters.

I'm not sure what everyone sees when it comes to bball knowledge for Fuller. He's a good reporter and a good writer. I would not consider him a good basketball mind and his homerism has gotten very annoying.

Ryan James is plugged in and has strong basketball knowledge. His writing isn't great but he's a machine when it comes to all the work he does with everything basketball in the state.

Haven't heard AP sports guy talk much about the Gophers. Barreiro does a little bit but even he is more of an Indiana guy I think. He's got a good basketball mind I think and I tend to think his evaluation of the team is generally solid - albeit a bit doom and gloom given his general cynicism.

I always enjoyed listening to the guy who went on with Mackey and Judd on 1500 ESPN. For the life of me I can't remember his name but he was a point guard and played over in Europe for a while. Always like his takes on the club.

I'm not sure what everyone sees when it comes to bball knowledge for Fuller. He's a good reporter and a good writer. I would not consider him a good basketball mind and his homerism has gotten very annoying.

Ryan James is plugged in and has strong basketball knowledge. His writing isn't great but he's a machine when it comes to all the work he does with everything basketball in the state.

Haven't heard AP sports guy talk much about the Gophers. Barreiro does a little bit but even he is more of an Indiana guy I think. He's got a good basketball mind I think and I tend to think his evaluation of the team is generally solid - albeit a bit doom and gloom given his general cynicism.

I always enjoyed listening to the guy who went on with Mackey and Judd on 1500 ESPN. For the life of me I can't remember his name but he was a point guard and played over in Europe for a while. Always like his takes on the club.

I more just like Fuller for his general reporting. Don't think he is an elite basketball mind by any means (not saying he's an idiot either). If I want actual takes on basketball and/or recruiting, Ryan James is by far the best in my opinion.

Ariel McDonald (sp)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm a fan and as such I appreciate homerism

Marcus Fuller followed by Sid Hartman. Not kidding.

Amelia Rayno.

She put out some sort of long form pieces that were good. She had an article on Dre Mathieu and his basketball career and how he dealt with the passing of his friend that was very good and well worth reading. I never read her Gopher beat stuff much.

I always listen to Marcus Fuller and Ryan James on the One and Done Show podcast, as well as Talk Gopher Buckets. I love putting it on in the background while playing a video game. Ryan James is great because he's knowledgeable and is a fan of the team, without being an over the top homer. You don't have to worry about him taking uninformed, overtly negative stances on the Gophers to piss people off, or encourage the large swathes of self-loathing Minnesota sports fans.

It's not really reporting per se, but it's fun to hear the stories of former players that Nadine brings on the Gopherhole podcast, like getting inside looks at the differences between playing for Monson, Molinari, and Tubby.

I don't think Ryan James is a very good writer, and he's just very tough to listen to in podcast form. I know that sort of thing can improve with more reps, but compared to Ryan Burns pod on the football side...it's pretty painful.

Have to respect his reporting and work rate though. He is definitely plugged in.

I can't stand Marcus Fuller, was really disappointed when he took over the beat when Rayno left it. I'm sure he is a good enough person just don't like his takes.

Both Marcus and Ryan have a nice eye for the game. I follow both on Twitter and have been impressed with their in-game analysis. They see things out there that I don't see and make connections I don't make.

Somewhere between Justin Gaard's positivity and Dan Barreiro's negativity, I can usually find some good takes.

I must have missed it; Why she stop covering Gophers BBall? Was it a result of Norwood Teague's crap?

This is what Rayno is doing now: http://www.startribune.com/amelia-rayno/107226174/

Interestingly enough, she had written that she did not pursue her Teague complaint further than she did because she didn't have enough confidence that management would support her and was afraid she might lose her job as the Gophers beat reporter. Gee, look how that turned out.

This is what Rayno is doing now: http://www.startribune.com/amelia-rayno/107226174/

Interestingly enough, she had written that she did not pursue her Teague complaint further than she did because she didn't have enough confidence that management would support her and was afraid she might lose her job as the Gophers beat reporter. Gee, look how that turned out.

Strangely enough, I'm 99% sure that I saw her in the Bradley Center on Thursday.

Too bad. But I'm glad that creep is gone.

Top Bottom