Isaiah Washington Named Mr. Basketball New York

Great to see! Can't wait to have him on campus.

Notable Mr. New York Basketball recipients from the past couple decades:

2010: Tobias Harris (Tennessee; 1st-round NBA pick)
2007: Jonny Flynn (Syracuse; #6 overall pick)
2004: Sebastian Telfair (1st-round NBA pick)
2001: Julius Hodge (NC State; 1st-round NBA pick)
1997: Elton Brand (Duke; #1 overall pick)
1995: Stephon Marbury (Georgia Tech; #4 overall pick)

Quite an honor coming out of that state, like being Mr. Hockey in Minnesota

I know he had really tough competition for that honor

Good for the young man! The few times that I have heard him talk he comes across well spoken and even a little bit humble.

2014. Isaiah Whitehead 2016 NBA second round, 2009 Lance Stephenson, NBA second round

Odd that ESPN lists a 5* from Harlem on their state rankings and 247 doesn't?

Quite an honor coming out of that state, like being Mr. Hockey in Minnesota

I know some people transfer (as they do in all states), but I wouldn't compare New York basketball to Minnesota hockey. Nonetheless, congrats to Isaiah. Super excited to see him in a Gopher uniform.

Hey, Isiah stayed. He's loyal. He won the honor! I bet he even proves to some of you chuckle heads he is good as a freshman. Notable...for instance Kevin Huerter was Mr New York 2016. He was 5 for 7 from 3 and scored 19 points in the first Maryland game we lost. If Mr Basketball New York 2016 would have gone to another school...we win that night. I doubt Mr Huerter is a first round NBA draft pick but I wish he was a Gopher too!!! Isiah is going to be very good as a Gopher!!

Hey, Isiah stayed. He's loyal. He won the honor! I bet he even proves to some of you chuckle heads he is good as a freshman. Notable...for instance Kevin Huerter was Mr New York 2016. He was 5 for 7 from 3 and scored 19 points in the first Maryland game we lost. If Mr Basketball New York 2016 would have gone to another school...we win that night. I doubt Mr Huerter is a first round NBA draft pick but I wish he was a Gopher too!!! Isiah is going to be very good as a Gopher!!

Was someone doubting him or saying he isn't going to be good? If so, I missed it. Mr. Basketball is a great honor and I think everyone has high expectations for him and is extremely excited that he is going to be on the team.

strawman-full.jpg.pagespeed.ce.zvQulGWSde.jpg

But only 6 notable in the last 22 years?
The state didn't have but 5 top 247 ranked recruits this year.
Most of the best NYC players leave and go the prep school route.
I wouldn't compare New York basketball to Minnesota hockey.

That's 25% plus of posts diminishing Isiah's accomplishment in this thread alone. All over the board are guys saying he won't do nuthin' as a freshman...he'll get Michael Hurt minutes etc etc Certainly nobody thinks at any point in the season will he start. If that's a strawman you ain't reading too good.

That's 25% plus of posts diminishing Isiah's accomplishment in this thread alone. All over the board are guys saying he won't do nuthin' as a freshman...he'll get Michael Hurt minutes etc etc Certainly nobody thinks at point in the season will he start. If that's a strawman you ain't reading too good.

I've never read someone say he would get hurt minutes. It's certainly not the popular opinion here.

Other than that claim, the rest of your remarks have nothing to do with whether or not he is good.

That's 25% plus of posts diminishing Isiah's accomplishment in this thread alone. All over the board are guys saying he won't do nuthin' as a freshman...he'll get Michael Hurt minutes etc etc Certainly nobody thinks at any point in the season will he start. If that's a strawman you ain't reading too good.

I don't think I've seen any posts like that on this site.

Some may wonder if his street ball style will translate to the Big Ten but it is virtually universally agreed upon on GH and other forums that Isaiah will at the very least be a key backup and a solid contributor next year.

Lol wut? Where has anyone said he won't do anything as a freshman? Where has anyone said he will get Michael Hurt minutes? Nobody thinks he will start at any point? I responded to a post in another thread today about someone suggesting he might start. You're making stuff up. I bet at least 95% of the people on this board think he's going to have a good year next year and will have a very good career here.

By the way, me saying I wouldn't compare New York basketball to Minnesota hockey in no way means I think New York is bad at basketball or that this isn't a great accomplishment for him.

I don't think I've seen any posts like that on this site.

Some may wonder if his street ball style will translate to the Big Ten but it is virtually universally agreed upon on GH and other forums that Isaiah will at the very least be a key backup and a solid contributor next year.

I'd rather not research all the threads and attack people. If you disagree that a lot of people are posting thinking Washington will be a major contributor...you show me. I agree some people think he'll be a key backup.
Even that is not the majority. How many people think he'll start at some point in the season? How many even bring his name up as any kind of factor in the team replacing Springs or being as good next year etc.
Maybe it's more by omission of why we'll be better next year than it is actual flat out he won't play much that has me blustering. But sentiment is definitely there that people are worried he is going mess things up or not be a factor or he'll only get the 5 minutes Mason sits out etc.

Okay, here's a couple: He does not look like a plug n' play starter to me, especially with one of the top PG's in the league in front of him. He's too short to play the 2, and Nate's too good to move over to the 2 for significant amounts of time. I think people are getting a little over excited about Washington becoming an elite contributor as a freshman. Thankfully, he doesn't need to be. He needs to be a solid rotation guard while learning from one of the best.

If he starts it means he's starting over Mason, Coffey, or Dupree...Dupree is the most logical choice on who he starts over but have you seen how he's been playing lately? Tough to say he won't be starting next year as a junior.

Play for real and not just showboat. McKinley Wright dropped 46 on DeLaSalle in front of Pitino and Ben Johnson tonigh. I hope we didn't take the wrong guy!

One 10-12 post thread...

I'd rather not research all the threads and attack people. If you disagree that a lot of people are posting thinking Washington will be a major contributor...you show me. I agree some people think he'll be a key backup.
Even that is not the majority. How many people think he'll start at some point in the season? How many even bring his name up as any kind of factor in the team replacing Springs or being as good next year etc.
Maybe it's more by omission of why we'll be better next year than it is actual flat out he won't play much that has me blustering. But sentiment is definitely there that people are worried he is going mess things up or not be a factor or he'll only get the 5 minutes Mason sits out etc.

I don't feel like looking through a bunch of threads either, but I think most people will agree with me. Your posts in this thread extremely puzzling. By the way, if people don't think he is going to start, that doesn't mean they think he's going to ride the bench. Nate Mason is going to be a senior and was just named first team All-Big Ten. Of course he is going to start, so the question is do we start two point guards even though we have two very good guards returning in McBrayer and Coffee? Believe it or not, you can come off the bench and still play 20-25 minutes and have a major impact. Also, people probably don't bring him up when talking about replacing Springs because they are extremely different players who play different positions. You're jumping to really strange assumptions based on almost nothing.

I don't feel like looking through a bunch of threads either, but I think most people will agree with me. Your posts in this thread extremely puzzling. By the way, if people don't think he is going to start, that doesn't mean they think he's going to ride the bench. Nate Mason is going to be a senior and was just named first team All-Big Ten. Of course he is going to start, so the question is do we start two point guards even though we have two very good guards returning in McBrayer and Coffee? Believe it or not, you can come off the bench and still play 20-25 minutes and have a major impact. Also, people probably don't bring him up when talking about replacing Springs because they are extremely different players who play different positions. You're jumping to really strange assumptions based on almost nothing.

I'm not doing the minutes version...you look it up ...you'll find them. I did the starters in one 10-12 thread edit above. There are many more not going to start comments in other threads as well. Again, he may not start...that's up to Richard and maybe he is the ideal 6th man for this team. I agree with your comments about being a major contributor off the bench.. I agree with Lots of your comments except the hockey one ha...too lazy to look up the 1st round Mr Hockey guys as same comparison...and I really don't follow hockey much. I just know it's a long time since Neal Broten played. lol

And hey, if I'm wrong and everybody thinks Washington is going to have a major impact next year....cool, that'd make it a great night for me. I'd feel better about people's basketball opinions on here.

Okay, here's a couple: He does not look like a plug n' play starter to me, especially with one of the top PG's in the league in front of him. He's too short to play the 2, and Nate's too good to move over to the 2 for significant amounts of time. I think people are getting a little over excited about Washington becoming an elite contributor as a freshman. Thankfully, he doesn't need to be. He needs to be a solid rotation guard while learning from one of the best.

One 10-12 post thread...

LOL, you have some truly strange posts. I wrote that first take, and I think I am one of the only ones pumping the brakes on Washington being a stud freshman next year. I am definitely in the minority with that view.

I don't even see my post as a negative view either. For F's sake we have a 1st team all B1G player at his position. I just don't think he's going to supplant Mason (Sr) or McBrayer (Jr) in the starting lineup. He just needs to be a 10-15 minute guy before taking the reigns next year. And that's how it should be, you don't want to rely solely on freshman.

If he starts it means he's starting over Mason, Coffey, or Dupree...Dupree is the most logical choice on who he starts over but have you seen how he's been playing lately? Tough to say he won't be starting next year as a junior.

Play for real and not just showboat. McKinley Wright dropped 46 on DeLaSalle in front of Pitino and Ben Johnson tonigh. I hope we didn't take the wrong guy!

One 10-12 post thread...

Those posts prove that people think Washington will be a non factor next year? The top one even says that he needs to a solid rotation guard but won't be an elite contributor right away.

I think your equating posts that downplay the expectations for Washington as posts that say he won't be any good.

Both recruits are better right now than guys they'd steal minutes from (Gilbert, McBray). Will they play D is the question? Gophs need perimeter shooters (both) and creation (Jelly)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LOL, you have some truly strange posts. I wrote that first take, and I think I am one of the only ones pumping the brakes on Washington being a stud freshman next year. I am definitely in the minority with that view.

I don't even see my post as a negative view either. For F's sake we have a 1st team all B1G player at his position. I just don't think he's going to supplant Mason (Sr) or McBrayer (Jr) in the starting lineup. He just needs to be a 10-15 minute guy before taking the reigns next year. And that's how it should be, you don't want to rely solely on freshman.
I'm concerned about Jelly (small, not a big jumper, likes to score) and will be hard to translate into structure. I'm higher on Harris (dead eye, quick off the floor, pop shooter)

Both recruits are better right now than guys they'd steal minutes from (Gilbert, McBray). Will they play D is the question? Gophs need perimeter shooters (both) and creation (Jelly)

Both Harris and Washington are better than McBrayer? What makes you say that?

Top Bottom